Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy National Dog Day.
Happy National Dog Day.
Some history about the day.

Quote:National Dog Day is celebrated August 26th annually and was founded in 2004 by Pet & Family Lifestyle Expert and Animal Advocate, Colleen Paige, also the founder of National Puppy Day, National Mutt Day and National Cat Day and many more philanthropic days to bring attention to the plight of animals and encourage adoption. The date of August 26th is significant, as it's the date that Colleen's family adopted her first dog "Sheltie" when Colleen was 10 years old. 
[font=Arial, 'ms pゴシック', 'ms pgothic', 돋움, dotum, helvetica, sans-serif]
National Dog Day celebrates all dogs, mixed breed and pure. Our mission is to help galvanize the public to recognize the number of dogs that need to be rescued each year and acknowledges family dogs and dogs that work selflessly each day to save lives, keep us safe and bring comfort. Dogs put their lives on the line every day...
for personal protection, for law enforcement, for the disabled, for our freedom and safety by detecting bombs and drugs and pulling victims of tragedy from wreckage, now they're detecting cancer and seizures...things even humans cannot do. NDD was adopted into New York State Legislation in 2013.
[/font]

I know Min and Steel help to get dogs adopted and many more of us have a crush on a dog (or more).  Even more of us share our lives and homes with non humans of one sort of others.  

To celebrate, I thought I'd share my own dog history and I invite everyone else to do the same.  I've had a dog in my life since 1969 when my parents terrier-mimutt got knocked up.  When I reached down to pet the pups one of them clung to my wrist when I pulled out.  I called her Bunny (no snickering) because as a young puppy that's what I thought she looked like and she was super soft.  When she died (auto accident Sad ) I adopted a young Collie/Shepherd cross named Sandy who lived to 12 before succumbing to kidney failure.  I had Sandy when I met Lia who had Kirscha, an elkhound a couple years older than Sandy.  They both died the same year and we got a dalmatian pup we named Daisy, our first dog together.  (Don't ever get a Dalmatian, seriously.)  When Daisy neared senility we picked up a lab/golden cross puppy I found advertised in the newspaper who we named Sophie.  When she died I made this mosaic.

[Image: 4879891965_30b26c1978_b.jpg]

Sophie made it to 15.  When she no longer cared to eat or sniff around when carried downstairs I let her go.  Before she went we got the dog we'd put Lia's aunt and uncle up to getting in their 80's, an Australian Shepherd named Fletcher.  He was our first herding dog and first male dog.  Total rogue with no idea of what a command was (picture 80 yearolds chasing after him as a pup), but super social skills and judgement.  Fletcher's tribute mosaic.

[Image: 4258825264_dc1c291d02_b.jpg]

Before Fletcher died we'd adopted Heidi Rose, an Aussie/Heeler cross I found on line when she was a little more than 1.  She is now 7 or 8.  We have become sold on Aussies after Fletcher but went with a cross because his hair was just way too high maintenance.  You all have seen plenty of her and I haven't had cause to make a mosaic of her pics yet.  Here is one of her with Fletcher.

[Image: 5607910842_20f141b8b9_b.jpg]

That brings us to our newest, now nearly 13 months, Smokey.  We were all set to adopt a purebred aussie from N. Ca. Aussie Rescue.  But when they turned us down because we don't let our dogs sleep in our bedrooms, I figured fuck them and went shopping for what I really wanted, an aussie/heeler cross.  Smokey is the first dog I've bought from a breeder.  We are very happy with him, shown here on a trail with Heidi.

[Image: 28688552035_02ffb4eaff_b.jpg]

Your turn.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  US National Alert System, aka Satan's Whistle. Gawdzilla Sama 10 658 October 5, 2023 at 1:07 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The Happy Thansgiving Day thread! Jehanne 10 703 November 24, 2022 at 1:53 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Happy Veterans Day... arewethereyet 28 1652 November 14, 2022 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Happy Father's Day!! Jehanne 24 1488 June 22, 2022 at 9:01 am
Last Post: brewer
  Happy Mother's Day. arewethereyet 7 516 May 9, 2022 at 4:45 am
Last Post: anlogue
  Happy Star Wars Day onlinebiker 7 417 May 5, 2022 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Happy Dyngus Day onlinebiker 5 351 April 18, 2022 at 8:02 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  What's everybody doing for National Drinking Day? GUBU 23 1668 March 19, 2022 at 10:19 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Fine - I'll do it - Happy Whatever You Celebrate Eve/Day arewethereyet 20 1105 December 25, 2020 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Happy RUSH day! no one 15 1148 December 23, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Ranjr