Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Me and My Thoughts
Me and My Thoughts
I live in NYC and I'm 23 years old. I'm from Bangladesh. Gender is male. And I'm a theist (Muslim).

How did I find out about this forum? Well, I just googled "atheist forums" and then I came across this site, and I liked it more than the other atheist forums.

I joined because there are some things that I would like to know from atheists, while at the same time, I know that many of the atheists here might also want to ask me certain things. I think it's a healthy thing to talk about faith-related issues in an honest and respectable way. I think it's interesting to talk to people who have radically different beliefs even though I might disagree with them. And I'm sure that participating in this forum will give me new ideas to think about. So, that's why I decided to join an atheist forum for the first time.

At one point in my life, I was doubtful about the existence of God as well. Then from doubt I went to a complete disbelief. So, then I became an atheist just like many of you in this forum (not for too long though). It was around the last two years of going to high school. I stopped believing in God, Heaven, Hell, the Quran, Islam, and every other religion altogether. I thought that religion was like a disease in the mind and that's why I tried forget everything that I learned about God and religion. And being an atheist felt good to me in a certain way. Why? Because I felt that there was no superior authority who is telling me what to do, and I don't have to worry about going to Hell, and this gave me a greater sense of freedom and completeness in my life.

However, this began to change as I learned more and more science, philosophy, and religion. I felt that my doubts about God forced me to think more deeply and try harder to understand the truth. I was thinking about a lot of things like the Big Bang theory, quantum mechanics, string theory, higher dimensions, evolution, the complexity of living things on this planet, the beautiful and awesome creatures that I see on the Discovery channel, etc. The more I learned about these things, the more it increased my faith in God. I don't want to explain too much about my beliefs right now because this is just an introduction thread. I will expand on my ideas later on, in other threads which are relevant to what I'm talking about.

I have read the rules about things like personal attacks, spamming, trolling, and being preachy, etc. I don't think that's going to be a problem for me at all. In fact, maybe I'll be the one to be on the receiving end and even get mocked for my religious beliefs. But that's already expected since this is an atheist forum. I don't mind if that happens, but feel free to refute me and to say whatever you think is the truth in your comments - I'll try to be as logical as I can - but of course, you have to judge for yourself about the soundness of my logic.

I've been reading some of the hot-topic threads and I find them quite interesting. I'll be posting here occasionally if I have something to say regarding a topic.
RE: Me and My Thoughts
Welcome and if this holds true I'm sure you'll find this a place to share ideas.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Welcome I do appreciate the candure of your introduction, and I do feel you can proportionate good talks around here Smile
Hi welcome. you seem alright, enjoy your stay.
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
Welcome, Rayaan! There is certainly some intelligent conversation to be had here. I think you'll enjoy it.
welcome Rayaan Smile
I think your introduction is the best introduction by a muslim member I've seen so far on this forum. I hope it will continue in that way.
[Image: pPQu8.png]
Cool, another Muslim. Smile Welcome.
Welcome to the forums Smile have fun, but no biting...
@Rayaan

An open mind is always welcome here.

Wa salaam
Well, well, well, what an awesome introduction post! You seem to be in the same sort of frame of mind as I am, so hopefully we'll get along. Tongue This forum is a good one for debate, even if it can soemtimes be a little mind-boggling. Hopefully you'll enjoy your stay, and show up often! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Conflicting Thoughts Monalisa Dey 37 4129 October 21, 2016 at 6:18 am
Last Post: Losty
  Thoughts from a Christian trmof 33 4620 October 26, 2014 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: AceBoogie
  I'm an atheist,but spirituality scrambled my thoughts. FractalEternalWheel 19 3737 January 11, 2014 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam