Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conflicting Thoughts
Conflicting Thoughts
Hey I am from India and i am a Hindu by religion. I just wanted to discuss some conflicting thoughts I have having about the whole existence of GOD
तुम जिन्न या भूत नहीं।
कहीं से आये नहीं। किसी ने भेजा नहीं।
किसी ने सोच-समझ कर तुम्हें गढा नहीं।
न तुम आकाश से टपके हो,
न शून्य से प्रकटे हो।
तुम अपने माता-पिता के शरीर से उगे हो – अनायास
RE: Conflicting Thoughts
Conflicting thoughts about the existence of god is a good working description of hinduism.   Wink

What did you have in mind, though?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Welcome! Post your full intro here: http://atheistforums.org/forum-11.html
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Welcome and have at it.
(October 16, 2016 at 8:18 am)Monalisa Dey Wrote: Hey I am from India and i am a Hindu by religion. I just wanted to discuss some conflicting thoughts I have having about the whole existence of GOD
Hi, firstly I want to say thank u so much for welcoming me here. It feels so good to finally be able to talk about what I have been feeling for years..I am married and my entire family is so orthodox..They do puja everyday after bath and I keep staring pretending to pay my respects or so when actually I think about something else...

My problem is I just dont believe the fact that GOD is there and he watches us and we have to be good otherwise something bad will happen etc etc.. 

For many years I believed it though.. I always did what is right and before doing anything bad I always used to pray to god and say sorry n stuff.. But all of that is a lie because to be frank I do not believe it.. 

Hindus have a lot of deities and we have several occasions where we sit around the idol of that deity and give him food and stuff and chant mantras .. I have noticed my entire family just keep their eyes closed and they somehow seem to be so engrossed .. I tried that too.. did not work..

Sometimes I feel so guilty.. Maybe I am wrong.. 

Just recently I lost my dog.. and people say that if you pray to god n be good then he listens to you..

That is not true.. Sometimes I feel that if I talk about this with my husband or someone else, they will feel that I am a freak bcz as a Hindu it is actually a crime..
तुम जिन्न या भूत नहीं।
न तुम आकाश से टपके हो,
न शून्य से प्रकटे हो।
If you pray to god and be good -what-...you'll get your dog back?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
God ( all gods) is a testimony to mankind's ability to fixate on the trivial.

[Image: Thank-you-Jesus.png]
(October 16, 2016 at 12:22 pm)Monalisa Dey Wrote: Sometimes I feel so guilty.. Maybe I am wrong.. 

Just recently I lost my dog.. and people say that if you pray to god n be good then he listens to you..

You know, I can relate. Not on the guilty part but on the dog part. I try to be a decent person. That's how I was brought up. So if there was any god worth his money, he certainly would take that into account. More so than going through the motions.

If there was a vengeful beast, like some of our users seem to believe, the motions might get you some brownie points. But such a being wouldn't be worth worshipping, wouldn't it?
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
No i mean people say that if you are good and honest then your life will be happy and you will be blessed by god .. I never believed this shit but still i was afraid to say it to anyone or even to like think about it.. When she died I realised I was right all along and my mother who was like praying n all for her recovery was wrong..
तुम जिन्न या भूत नहीं।
न तुम आकाश से टपके हो,
न शून्य से प्रकटे हो।
Monalisa, I'm sorry to hear about your struggles.  A lot of people around here have experienced something similar.  You lose belief while those around you retain it, it's hard to know what to do or say.  You may be wondering how much to share with your family, and worrying that they will disown you if you say anything at all.

The only advice I might try and give you is to look at your religious teachings for the philosophical meanings. Strip out the gods and the magic, and try and find the things about it that do help.  Perhaps it teaches focus on family, forgiveness, or other ways to try and lead a happier and more fulfilled life.  This may allow you to retain your own thoughts, like lack of belief in those supernatural things, but also not lose your family or get into trouble.

Best wishes to you!!
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts from a Christian trmof 33 4615 October 26, 2014 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: AceBoogie
  I'm an atheist,but spirituality scrambled my thoughts. FractalEternalWheel 19 3737 January 11, 2014 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Me and My Thoughts Rayaan 18 4668 September 18, 2010 at 6:41 am
Last Post: Ace Otana