Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm an atheist,but spirituality scrambled my thoughts.
I'm an atheist,but spirituality scrambled my thoughts.
I have never believed in god, I was raised this way to follow science evidence and logic,but I have been struggling to understand life why are we here,whats our mission,...I first studied nihilism but I got very depressed because of it views (maybe because they are true).So I got my hands on some "spiritual" books and they gave me some kind of comfort after reading them they showed me life in a different view,Its like I have been kissed by an lie. But I keep rethinking the things that books say and some of the things the book say clashes with my rational logic. But now I'm trapped in between if I return to my atheist views I will return to my sad,depressed,whats the point me but if I turn to spirituality I give reason to my life,I feel more happy, more alive,... Hope you can give me some help and advice. I'm still a teen so maybe this growing up thing is messing with my brain.I have also experimented with high marijuana and salvia dose and mushrooms and I hallucinated landscapes,I talked to the beings that were living there.,People say that those drugs mess up the normal functioning of the brain but if they mess up your brain you wouldn't see pure landscapes,beings you would just see some random colors,sounds,...flashes I have hard time explain psychedelic drugs I like to think that they connect us to other planet and being,can someone explain this. (I don't want to hear that stories about the harmful use of psychedelics drugs)

Thanks
RE: I'm an atheist,but spirituality scrambled my thoughts.
You know, it's true what they say - ignorance is bliss. There are those who seek the truth and need justification for their beliefs and there are those who simply don't care. They believe what they believe without any evidence at all and they put it all on faith. It IS depressing sometimes, I totally get what you're saying. But wouldn't you rather know that what you believe is justified?
"The life of a man is of no greater importance to the universe than that of an oyster." - David Hume
(December 26, 2013 at 11:46 am)AstroNat Wrote: You know, it's true what they say - ignorance is bliss. There are those who seek the truth and need justification for their beliefs and there are those who simply don't care. They believe what they believe without any evidence at all and they put it all on faith. It IS depressing sometimes, I totally get what you're saying. But wouldn't you rather know that what you believe is justified?
yea my dad just said this: If you see the world as it is you can't get a reason to be depressed. But still whats the point with humans why does everything need to have meaning in order that our lives feel meaningful?
Hi welcome.

In the words of Douglas Adams: "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"

As for psychedelic drugs, I have yet to come across anything that suggest it is anything more than a manipulation of our minds. Isn't it fascinating that our brains are capable of so much despite being just a goo of cells? Isn't that enough?
We're rational, self aware beings. Walk, feed and love your dog and he'll be happy forever. Humans are much more complicated than that, but it doesn't mean that our lives have more meaning. The reason that we feel that we need more is because we have an imagined self importance. Living is the meaning of life, that's it.
"The life of a man is of no greater importance to the universe than that of an oyster." - David Hume
Quote:but I have been struggling to understand life why are we here,whats our mission

It is only human ego which insists we have a purpose or a mission.

Mankind loves to think it is so fucking special.
(December 26, 2013 at 11:34 am)FractalEternalWheel Wrote: But now I'm trapped in between if I return to my atheist views I will return to my sad,depressed,whats the point me but if I turn to spirituality I give reason to my life,I feel more happy, more alive,... Hope you can give me some help and advice.
If turning to spirituality makes you feel better and helps you avoid depression, then turn to it. Find out what it is about spiritual thoughts that helps you to cope with life, and embrace that. If it helps you to overcome a mental block (ie, the depression caused by a nihilistic outlook) then it works for you. In time you may become more comfortable with your spirituality or you may become more comfortable without it.

Don't let the rigidity of one teaching or another force you down a path that makes life unbearable. The working of our minds is largely out of our control, but we can learn to work with what we have and be much happier as a result. Become a happy and confident person, and in time you will sort out the rest.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
thanks for the replays Big Grin, I already feel much better the quote from Douglas Adams is amazing thanks @pineapplebunnybounce for sharing it (are there any more similar quotes like that) @Minimalist: I haven't thought it this way are there any way we can kill the ego I haven't found any other way than to meditate daily and instead of thinking I we need WE
@AstroNat: Just like Alan Watts said “The meaning of life is just to be alive. It is so plain and so obvious and so simple. And yet, everybody rushes around in a great panic as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves.”

P.S: I have found on reddit ♥ that I may be dealing with existential crisis,and with google I can overcome this.

Again thank you all for replaying
(December 26, 2013 at 12:15 pm)Tonus Wrote:
(December 26, 2013 at 11:34 am)FractalEternalWheel Wrote: But now I'm trapped in between if I return to my atheist views I will return to my sad,depressed,whats the point me but if I turn to spirituality I give reason to my life,I feel more happy, more alive,... Hope you can give me some help and advice.
If turning to spirituality makes you feel better and helps you avoid depression, then turn to it. Find out what it is about spiritual thoughts that helps you to cope with life, and embrace that. If it helps you to overcome a mental block (ie, the depression caused by a nihilistic outlook) then it works for you. In time you may become more comfortable with your spirituality or you may become more comfortable without it.

First you steal my signature quote, then you reach down my throat and take the words from out of my mouth!AngryWink
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Hey Fractal and welcome to AF! ^_^

Kudos for the Mandelbrot set, it is one of my favorites! Great
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Conflicting Thoughts Monalisa Dey 37 4108 October 21, 2016 at 6:18 am
Last Post: Losty
  Thoughts from a Christian trmof 33 4611 October 26, 2014 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Glad to discover Atheist Forums, but.. eseernosam 20 6542 March 6, 2012 at 11:23 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  New here, but not a new Atheist mboss 12 4049 June 15, 2011 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Epimethean
  Me and My Thoughts Rayaan 18 4664 September 18, 2010 at 6:41 am
Last Post: Ace Otana