Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Betsy DeVos
Betsy DeVos
So, she did it. Mike Pence broke a 50-50 tie with his vote to make Betsy DeVos the United States Secretary of Education. Criticism from Democrats focused on her being a big donor to the Republican party and just being overall unqualified for the position. Here's AL Franken comment: https://www.franken.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=3615
Senator AL Franken, at her hearing, asked her what her position was on growth vs. proficiency, and she fumbled through her answer. Clearly she wasn't caught up on the topic. Even though...

http://www.excelined.org/about-us/mission

At the bottom of the mission statement of the organization ExcelinEd, where she was chairmen, there's a link "Our Approach", which shows them outlining the problem of the American education system by citing stats of 4th grade reading levels not being proficient. Which would suggest she should be a little familiar with the issue. It also suggests her organization is for proficiency testing, but maybe that's just the only available information they have to go on.

Me, I'm not clear on what would be a better approach, but testing for growth of an individual kid sure sounds a hell of a lot better on paper. Is it practical? Is it beneficial enough to justify providing the man hours?
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
RE: Betsy DeVos
But I hear her plan for grizzly bear protection is state of the art.
Haha Dammit I forgot about that. Hard to keep all the crazy corralled. I swear that's part of their strategy, the Gish gallop.

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
"Dominionism will never gain positions of real power in the US"

Rolleyes

So, 8 years of jesus school would make a person what.....13? Plenty old enough to hold a yall qaeda battle rifle.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 7, 2017 at 4:25 pm)Khemikal Wrote: "Dominionism will never gain positions of real power in the US"

Rolleyes

So, 8 years of jesus school would make a person what.....13? Plenty old enough to hold a yall qaeda battle rifle.

From the ExcelinEd link

Quote:Our Mission
To build an American education system that equips every child to achieve his or her God-given potential.

(February 7, 2017 at 4:21 pm)Whateverist Wrote: But I hear her plan for grizzly bear protection is state of the art.

Aren't you a teacher, whatevs? I'd be interested on your take on growth vs proficiency.

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
But isn't Betsy DeVos the story of every Disney princess - someone who is born royalty, and stays royalty, even though they are completely undeserving of it?  These are people who can't lose no matter how badly they behave or how ignorant they are.  Why do we love Ariel and Jasmine, but not Betsy DeVos?
As a teacher, I think that Donald Trump and the 51 Republicans who voted to confirm DeVos (including Mike Pence) have done a great disservice to Public Education. Conservatives will love the move because she hates teachers, and thinks we're overpaid. Of course she spends more on buying senators than most teachers make in a year. The woman is the embodiment of corruption, and an enemy to public education. And now she's the head of it. It's like putting the wolf in charge of the henhouse. I say fuck Betsy DeVos and her corporate cronyism.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
So how's them checks and balances working out for ya? I have no more tears to shed for the US :|
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(February 7, 2017 at 5:17 pm)Cecelia Wrote: As a teacher, I think that Donald Trump and the 51 Republicans who voted to confirm DeVos (including Mike Pence) have done a great disservice to Public Education.  Conservatives will love the move because she hates teachers, and thinks we're overpaid.  Of course she spends more on buying senators than most teachers make in a year.  The woman is the embodiment of corruption, and an enemy to public education.  And now she's the head of it.  It's like putting the wolf in charge of the henhouse.  I say fuck Betsy DeVos and her corporate cronyism.

US teachers, overpaid. Lol. The US is already world famous for shitting on good teachers. Give a bad grade, get fired by the rich dentist dad on the school board, we all know the stories.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(February 7, 2017 at 5:17 pm)Cecelia Wrote: As a teacher, I think that Donald Trump and the 51 Republicans who voted to confirm DeVos (including Mike Pence) have done a great disservice to Public Education. Conservatives will love the move because she hates teachers, and thinks we're overpaid. Of course she spends more on buying senators than most teachers make in a year. The woman is the embodiment of corruption, and an enemy to public education. And now she's the head of it. It's like putting the wolf in charge of the henhouse. I say fuck Betsy DeVos and her corporate cronyism.

Teachers make so much money that my wife scrapped five years of college education (pre-k through 6th license) and went back to school to become an RN.

We saw the writing on the wall back in the late 90s. Many people don't value education, and they have nothing but contempt for the people who teach their children.

Of course this has little impact on people who send their kids to private schools. Its regular families who send their kids to public schools that will get the shaft. It almost feels like an overt attempt to separate kids into social and economic castes.

I've been saying this a lot lately, but I'm glad i don't have children.

“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Betsy Devos - Crooked Cunt Minimalist 7 1223 August 13, 2018 at 8:11 am
Last Post: Chad32
  Betsy DeVos protects for-profit colleges scamming students Cecelia 2 461 May 14, 2018 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Trumpism has xtian support because of what DeVos represents Whateverist 9 1406 February 27, 2017 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Betsy Devos Hearing is a disaster, but she'll still be confirmed Cecelia 7 1555 January 18, 2017 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Whateverist