Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If they turned out to be right
If they turned out to be right
I have been trying to imagine how I would feel and what I would think if the Christians turned out to be right. Well, if a particular sect turned out to be right, since they don't agree with each other. Anyhow, I was just sitting here imagining what I would think if I died and found myself, you know, not actually dead, and there was God and heaven and hell and so on.

I would be terribly disappointed. I would be scared too, since I have often ridiculed god and he is apparently a pretty vindictive bastard. I would imagine burning for a long time would suck a lot. But beyond the fear, I would just feel...disgusted. I mean, imagine the universe really did turn out to be this stupid, simplistic thing, drawn in crude crayon, a plot riddled with awkward holes, every unknown pasted over with God-did-it, the whole thing slapped together in a week on an egotistical whim, made and ruled by an arbitrary psychopath who only created humans because he was tired of picking the wings off of flies.

I would have to accept it, because I must accept what is true no matter what I wish were true. But to think Jack Chick or Jerry Falwell had it right would be sickening, and even if they were not so annoying, to think that the Bible turned out to be literally true would just be a horribly unsatisfying conclusion.

What a stupid, puerile ending to it all. What a miserable disappointment, like that feeling you get when you see a really awful movie, especially if you thought it was going to be really good--like getting to the end of Star Wars only to discover Darth Vader and Jar Jar Binks were secretly brothers!!! It would just be so profoundly annoying.

To know that these blinkered fundies were right and the universe really is a giant lightshow for the entertainment of humans; to see that all those silly fossils were just a test of faith; to realize that the Lord God Almighty really was worried about menstruating women, and witches, and really did want a tribute of Golden Hemmorhoids and Mice; to have that sinking feeling that in the end the whole thing really was just some arbitrary idiotic test to reward the slavishly obedient...that alone would be hell enough.

Well, the burning forever part would suck too.

This is one reason why I don't follow the Pascal's Whatsamathinger, where there is no harm in believing and could be harm in not believing so why not believe. (The other reason is that I cannot believe such idiotic twaddle even if I wanted to). To believe that the universe really is as crude and simplistic as the Bible claims is just repulsive. There is harm in believing it, at least for me, because it would make me ill, even without noting the hideously twisted morality of it.

So what would you think if it turned out to be true?
And the Lord God spake unto them, saying, "A Great Fire be bound within all things, and know ye that be it unleashed, its energy shall be as like its mass, multiplied by the swiftness of the light, and so multiplied again." And they were much amazed. --II Physicists, Chapter IV, verses 5-8.
RE: If they turned out to be right
Quote:So what would you think if it turned out to be true?

To use an euphemism: Bugger.

But I honestly think I have a better shot at winning the WSOP main event than winding up before the invisible sky-daddy to be judged.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I'd give him the finger and say give me your best shot. lol.
[Image: geelong_football_club.jpg]My site: http://puglover.org
Bex loves: skiing, bike riding, maths, pugs,
her atheist society, politics and religious studies.
Nice post, Uvirith. I can't say I disagree at all- if it turns out that true morality is nothing more than obeying a very silly set of rules based on glorifying a jealous narcissist than I would choose oblivion over paradise.
If more than 3000 christian denominations are true at once, hell would have arrived on earth indeed. I say we wait till they all have bashed each other's skulls in a feast of ecstatic religious cleansing, invent our own universe devoid of malevolent divine dictators and escape to it by a wormhole.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
It would really depend on what specifically was true. Given the multiple possibilities I can't say how I'd react, but I do know I'm capable of admitting I was wrong. And if I found out that the god of hellfire and damnation existed, I don't know if I could worship him even through fear of hell. I just don't think that god is worthy. Well, I don't think any god hypothesis is worthy of worship but that one especially.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(December 22, 2008 at 2:20 am)Uvirith Wrote: I have been trying to imagine how I would feel and what I would think if the Christians turned out to be right. Well, if a particular sect turned out to be right, since they don't agree with each other. Anyhow, I was just sitting here imagining what I would think if I died and found myself, you know, not actually dead, and there was God and heaven and hell and so on.

I would be terribly disappointed. I would be scared too, since I have often ridiculed god and he is apparently a pretty vindictive bastard. I would imagine burning for a long time would suck a lot. But beyond the fear, I would just feel...disgusted. I mean, imagine the universe really did turn out to be this stupid, simplistic thing, drawn in crude crayon, a plot riddled with awkward holes, every unknown pasted over with God-did-it, the whole thing slapped together in a week on an egotistical whim, made and ruled by an arbitrary psychopath who only created humans because he was tired of picking the wings off of flies.

I would have to accept it, because I must accept what is true no matter what I wish were true. But to think Jack Chick or Jerry Falwell had it right would be sickening, and even if they were not so annoying, to think that the Bible turned out to be literally true would just be a horribly unsatisfying conclusion.

What a stupid, puerile ending to it all. What a miserable disappointment, like that feeling you get when you see a really awful movie, especially if you thought it was going to be really good--like getting to the end of Star Wars only to discover Darth Vader and Jar Jar Binks were secretly brothers!!! It would just be so profoundly annoying.

To know that these blinkered fundies were right and the universe really is a giant lightshow for the entertainment of humans; to see that all those silly fossils were just a test of faith; to realize that the Lord God Almighty really was worried about menstruating women, and witches, and really did want a tribute of Golden Hemmorhoids and Mice; to have that sinking feeling that in the end the whole thing really was just some arbitrary idiotic test to reward the slavishly obedient...that alone would be hell enough.

Well, the burning forever part would suck too.

This is one reason why I don't follow the Pascal's Whatsamathinger, where there is no harm in believing and could be harm in not believing so why not believe. (The other reason is that I cannot believe such idiotic twaddle even if I wanted to). To believe that the universe really is as crude and simplistic as the Bible claims is just repulsive. There is harm in believing it, at least for me, because it would make me ill, even without noting the hideously twisted morality of it.

So what would you think if it turned out to be true?

It would prove to me what I've suspected all along.....that I was no good at anything in life! I'd still tell em all to fuck off for eternity anyway.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
(December 22, 2008 at 2:20 am)Uvirith Wrote: So what would you think if it turned out to be true?
Well you've already spoke for me really. I couldn't really put it better myself.
Reality would make me believe it to be true. Even though it didn't seem like reality. If it was compelling enough, e.g actually being sent to Hell by God and feeling the suffering and pain.
I would feel a huge amount of fear, a huge amount of disgust and basically every negative emotion. My feeling of living my life honesty and sincerity I don't believe I could possibly feel. Because it would just be entirely engulfed by all the negative emotions.
But most of all, in Hell - in the fundamentalist biblical sense - I assume I would just feel extreme pain and suffering.
It of course, would be too horrific to express it words if that was really what would happen.
But if it turned out the be the case - it turned out to be the case. If that's what ended up being blatantly true and proved. I would HAVE to believe it was true whether I liked it or not.
Evf
An Atheist on Judgement Day.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(December 23, 2008 at 11:03 pm)Dotard Wrote: An Atheist on Judgement Day.
Good point. I see the relevance. And its a great story too.
Evf

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1425 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Are the far right Christians here in the U.S. just upset they're losing power GoHalos1993 52 7467 June 9, 2016 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 11850 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Xtian turned right freedomfromforum 3 1544 August 28, 2013 at 5:48 am
Last Post: CraigOfArabia
Exclamation Friend turned to religion in bad way, please help. freeman552 19 5952 June 30, 2013 at 1:47 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  "Prominent atheist blogger" turned catholic -- ever heard of her? Taqiyya Mockingbird 22 10869 July 5, 2012 at 9:39 am
Last Post: Angrboda