Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 7:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My parents have gone off the deep end
Sad 
My parents have gone off the deep end
It's been surreal watching how my parents are like a microcosm of the shift among conservatives to extremism seen the past five years. They've always been fundies (conservative, young earth creationists) but what they are now is a whole new level. 

My parents for the past 10 years have lived in central California. For the first five years I was living with them still until I moved to Boston. They were members of a tiny fundamentalist church (like 20 people). The year I left, they stopped going to church because they disagreed with some doctrinal minutia and shortly thereafter turned to the internet for church. My mom has become infatuated with the infamous "pastor" Steven Anderson and his little cult in Arizona. You probably know him for being a holocaust denier, an antisemite, and being such a huge homophobe that he goes so far as to advocate for the murder of homosexuals. Here are his greatest hits:

I'm still weirded out by my parents sudden shift to this extreme. Growing up, they loved Jews. My mom was obsessed with Jewish culture and had Jewish friends. And now they're telling me about the conspiracy of "zionists." And they have always been a little homophobic but never growing up could I picture them thinking that gays should be killed.

They've also embraced the wackiest of the fringe right: Alex Jones. My dad particularly gets like 80% of his "news" from him (the rest comes from Bretbart of course). They even buy and ingest all the weird vitamins the guys sells. With every meal, they take like 10 vitamins. When I visited them last Christmas I went into their shower and found this bulky contraption attached to the shower head that had Alex Jones' "InfoWars" logo on it. They told me it filters out fluoride supposedly. 

In the past two years, they've also bought guns for the first time and going to gun ranges is their new favorite thing to do. That in itself wouldn't be bad I guess but I know they're investing in guns now because they believe they're going to use them eventually to fend off evil liberal minions of the anitchrist.

I've always beens somewhat concerned about their mental health, particularly my mom's. Well, during my visit last Christmas my mom scared the shit out of me. She took me to my new room. I walk in and see this giant and very grotesque painting she made hanging in my room. It showed a guy being riddled with bullets. It was very gory showing blood and guts. She told me it was an unbeliever being killed. I was obviously very disturbed and I told her to take it down but she wouldn't and she was very confused why I didn't like her painting. Growing up, all my mom painted was like birds, Bob Ross landscapes, and shit. Not executions. WTF. (the room also featured a poster detailing the timeline for the end of the world, and by my bed were dozens of fringe books, most notably a roughly 800 pages long book about the "jewish conspiracy").

I haven't told them that of my two roommates in Boston, one is Turkish, and the other is a gay Jew.  They'd freak out. Undecided
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: My parents have gone off the deep end
They sound like nice people...
I'm sure socially Adolph and Eva were charming too . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

They have fallen in with a cult.
And they wonder why my sisters haven't spoken or visited them in five years.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(March 2, 2017 at 11:49 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: I'm sure socially Adolph and Eva were charming too . . .

I was kidding...

They're obviously extremist lunatics.
Going to quote my teenage daughter. "I got nothing".
Well I'd say, just be careful opening this site anywhere near them. And yes, everything you said hints at a cult. I believe they have someone close by to influence them, but if they are indeed moving in the cult direction, it'd be almost impossible to pull them back unless they want to break free on their own.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Wait, you live in Boston? Why haven't we met up already?
(March 3, 2017 at 12:48 am)Tiberius Wrote: Wait, you live in Boston? Why haven't we met up already?

No clue. Haha. I'm living in Brighton area now. Used to live next to Kenmore. I've been thinking of checking out one of the local atheist MeetUp groups soon.
My ignore list

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This is the Beginning of the End Serafino 23 1535 November 25, 2023 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Nailed to a cross, Filipino prays for Ukraine war to end Ferrocyanide 1 506 April 8, 2023 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
Lightbulb the end is nigh 2!!! Drich 113 8591 October 1, 2020 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  how to get kicked off a christian forum Drich 61 8283 April 30, 2020 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: no one
  In the end, there's just what you personally believe Foxaèr 31 4710 August 12, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Should I tell my parents I faked being christian? Der/die AtheistIn 26 5614 January 15, 2018 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Do my parents fear that I'll leave the faith? Der/die AtheistIn 120 22751 January 14, 2018 at 2:55 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Do Christian Parents Abuse their Children? Bow Before Zeus 177 25940 November 29, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  I will be gone for a few days Der/die AtheistIn 2 1144 October 19, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  The Dangers of End time Prophecy Rhondazvous 83 15503 January 23, 2017 at 2:53 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd