Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I tell my parents I faked being christian?
Should I tell my parents I faked being christian?
Not in the near future, but when I'll come out as atheist. Should I also tell them I faked being christian?
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: Should I tell my parents I faked being christian?
That’s really heavily context dependent. How do you think they’ll react in the first place?

If they’re open to the conversation and you feel this is something you want them to know then yes. Is it important to you?
'Faking it' would be distinguished from 'really doing' it how ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(January 13, 2018 at 6:24 pm)Longhorn Wrote: That’s really heavily context dependent. How do you think they’ll react in the first place?

If they’re open to the conversation and you feel this is something you want them to know then yes. Is it important to you?

Part of me really wishes to tell them, but I'm a little scared to say that I faked it. If I think about it I could use the fact that I feared rejection as an argument for my acting. I think they would be shocked to hear that I faked being a christian, maybe not as much if I would tell them in steps.

(January 13, 2018 at 6:28 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: 'Faking it' would be distinguished from 'really doing' it how ?

I don't believe in a God and I think neither my parents do. My mom told me that she imagines that a God exists for comfort, dad might do it too. I go to church with my family and sometimes say prayers out loud but I'm not emotionally invested in them so I don't know if that can be considered praying. When it seems that I pray without speaking I'm actually faking it. Also, when someone asks me if I agree with anything religious related I respond "yes" without meaning it.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
(January 13, 2018 at 6:19 pm)Die Atheistin Wrote: Not in the near future, but when I'll come out as atheist. Should I also tell them I faked being christian?

No. Not if it causes a problem for you. Not if it causes a problem for your parents.

My own kids "came out" as atheists, but it was easy for them because I am an atheist. I never promoted atheism to them and admit to some surprise when they both announced spontaneously that they wanted nothing further to do with the superstitious baloney. God got consigned to the same bucket as Santa. My reaction was "Bugger, I am going to be blamed for this". The ex-wife is still RCC.

So how about my own long deceased parents? Well, it was a case of see no evil, hear no evil largely. My mother was well aware of my position, but entirely tolerant. My father was a seriuosly committed RCC addict. In the end, it suited everyone to simply find their own way.

You do not have to come out and have some big mad showdown with all and sundry. You have no reason to pick a fight. Live your own life. Nobody owns you.
I think I'm with abbadon_ire on this ,when you say to your parents that you are an atheist going further to say that you were fakeing christianity is a matter of choice , wich is settled on spot , depending on impact and necesity.
(January 13, 2018 at 9:24 pm)notimportant1234 Wrote: I think I'm with abbadon_ire on this ,when you say to your parents that you are an atheist going further to say that you were fakeing christianity is a matter of choice , wich is settled on spot , depending on impact and necesity.

Well, sometimes confrontation is necessary, but it is not the only route or even the best route. 

The correct way to go will largely depend on the nature of the parental relationship. 

I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to lay all of the cards on the table with both of my parents before they passed, but that was a matter of sheer luck and happenstance. Others of my friends have not been so lucky. This is why I am telling Die Atheistin that invoking conflict is not necessarily the best road forward.
Deleted original response after reading OP.

If you decide to tell them later think about why.
(January 13, 2018 at 6:19 pm)Die Atheistin Wrote: Not in the near future, but when I'll come out as atheist. Should I also tell them I faked being christian?

Only if you're anxious to tell them if you don't tell them. Ideally you won't feel that or won't feel it for long enough for it to make it worth it to tell them.
D/A I sense that you are running these scenarios through your head looking for the ideal time to say it.  As far as they are concerned there is no ideal time.  If you said you were a child molester they would still have hope that you could rise to the rank of archbishop or something.

Instead of the perfect set up what will probably happen is that they will say something to piss you off and you will just blurt it out.  So stop worrying about it.  Que sera, sera as the Italians say.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89302 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  What do invented saints tell us about Christianity? Fake Messiah 132 11787 November 22, 2019 at 9:19 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  How much of my personal experience should I tell the world? Der/die AtheistIn 10 1410 January 18, 2019 at 8:08 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Tell Me Again How Your Bullshit Is Spreading in Africa, Xtians! Minimalist 9 1369 July 21, 2018 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Joods
  The benefits of being christian. Where are there??? Dnte 212 34534 February 2, 2018 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do my parents fear that I'll leave the faith? Der/die AtheistIn 120 22983 January 14, 2018 at 2:55 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Do Christian Parents Abuse their Children? Bow Before Zeus 177 27273 November 29, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Tell All Book Says Pat Robertson Full of Shit Minimalist 12 3543 September 29, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Atheist73
  Tell Me Again How Great Fucking Xtians Are Minimalist 44 13366 June 26, 2017 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Hi, I would like to tell you about Jesus Christ, the only way to God JacquelineDeane55 78 20933 June 10, 2017 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Fireball