Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Why are there less female atheists?
Why are there less female atheists?
I am not being a sexist.
But I have noticed that most women are religious, but organized religions are misogynistic.
Quote:What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.

Christopher Hitchens 1949-2011
RE: Why are there less female atheists?
Fewer, not less.

Maybe misogynistic patriarchal religions put more effort into conditioning women to keep the breeding stock compliant and men would be given more freedom because they are valued more.
(March 3, 2017 at 2:30 pm)Mathilda Wrote: Fewer, not less.

Maybe misogynistic patriarchal religions put more effort into conditioning women to keep the breeding stock compliant and men would be given more freedom because they are valued more.
Does religion give women more Stockholm syndrome than men?
Quote:What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.

Christopher Hitchens 1949-2011
Or maybe women simply aren't as vocal about their atheism?

(March 3, 2017 at 2:30 pm)Mathilda Wrote: Fewer, not less.

Ha! Never heard it stated quite like that. I can't wait to tell the missus tonight that she is breeding stock and I must keep her compliant.

After I duck the verbal onslaught and kitchen ware that is sure to follow, I will instruct her to get back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich!

Thank you for spicing up my Friday night!
Maybe women in past societies are conditioned to need a protector/provider, especially when it comes to child bearing/rearing . What could be better than a magic guy (god referred to as him) that promises to meet all her needs, keep her safe, and reward her in the end. That's a big plus when so many human men can fail to meet those needs.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Women are more social than men and the community a church provides may be a greater pressure for women than for men. Or I could be talking out of my arse at this point, I recommend asking a woman...
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
I don't know. I'm not sure I've noticed a disparity. If it exists, I couldn't begin to tell you why.
(March 3, 2017 at 5:16 pm)Shell B Wrote: I don't know. I'm not sure I've noticed a disparity. If it exists, I couldn't begin to tell you why.

Not sure I've noticed a disparity either. Is it possible that men are just more open about being atheists?

To be honest, I just assume that everyone I meet is an atheist unless I see otherwise. But then I live in the UK.
(March 3, 2017 at 5:19 pm)Mathilda Wrote: Not sure I've noticed a disparity either. Is it possible that men are just more open about being atheists?

To be honest, I just assume that everyone I meet is an atheist unless I see otherwise. But then I live in the UK.

I'm not sure, really. Being an atheist, I don't spend much time talking about religion except to explain to family members that no, your story about how god helped you save yourself from something didn't convert me. Yes, I'm still an atheist.

Does not thinking about people's religion until they explicitly state it count as assuming they're atheist?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 6442 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 1982 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 974 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Less anger towards religion Macoleco 64 5918 December 14, 2022 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2776 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1909 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 2879 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] Why I consider Atheists the Dumbest of the Dumb theMadJW 63 7838 May 13, 2020 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
  Why Are Atheists so Stupid Neo-Scholastic 125 15031 October 7, 2018 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists? I_am_not_mafia 56 11814 August 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic