Play "Cards Against Atheist Forums" online now!
Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: 17th August 2017, 17:15

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Pan; a weirder moon of Saturn
Pan; a weirder moon of Saturn
(10th March 2017, 00:20)ignoramus Wrote: I'm still waiting for a planet with beautiful naked amazon goddesses!
I'll do my bit for humanity and sacrifice myself on a one way trip...
(With a boner all the way!)

After that one way trip, you find out that they are all chicks with dicks.
RE: Pan; a weirder moon of Saturn
(9th March 2017, 23:37)vorlon13 Wrote: There is an entire category of common planets seen in the galaxy but not represented in our solar system, the so called 'super earths' and/or 'sub Neptunes'. Planets bigger than earth, and smaller than Neptune are turning up frequently in surveys of other stars, yet we have no local example at all.

Well...they're currently searching for the ninth planet in our solar system and have been zeroing in on its location for years's estimated to be a rocky world with a diameter close to that of Neptune O_o

(And apparently takes about 15,000 years to orbit the sun...)
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
RE: Pan; a weirder moon of Saturn
Another moon with a weird equatorial girdle accumulation, Atlas, will be imaged fairly closely early on in April.

[Image: Atlas_Rev09.2x.jpg]

Atlas has a thicker band as it has a slightly higher inclination as it orbits Saturn.  I read am interesting paper about the similarities and differences how the foof accumulates on Pan and Atlas.  Pan's band is more symmetrical around, Atlas's less so.  Pan is fairly well centered between the ring edge inside and outside its orbit which makes for an evener deposition, Atlas is closer to one than the other, so it's buildup is greater on one hemisphere.

The 'foof' is expected to be in the micron to meter sized chunks.  Cassini won't get close enough to resolve anything accreting.

As the material has accumulated on Pan it has 'dampened' out it's orbital eccentricity to a very low value.  Atlas is perturbed significantly by another little moon, Prometheus, so it's orbit doesn't 'relax' to a similar degree.  This affects how and where the material drifts on to it's surface differently from Pan.  One gathers more on the Saturn facing and opposite side, the other more on the leading hemisphere and trailing.

Wild how they are so similar, yet also revealingly different.
The problem with 90% of the politicians is they make the other 10% look bad.
RE: Pan; a weirder moon of Saturn
{nevermind, pic won't load}
The problem with 90% of the politicians is they make the other 10% look bad.
RE: Pan; a weirder moon of Saturn
(9th March 2017, 15:23)vorlon13 Wrote: [Image: index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=40966]

[Image: index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=40967]

And here is a context image showing how Pan is amongst the rings of Saturn.  The buildup of 'foof' along the equator is from ring residue gently accumulating on Pan and following the intricate gravity gradient(s) as it does so.

Additionally, the cracks are apparently actual cracks.  Pan is large enough, weak enough, and close enough to Saturn it is showing some fractures from the intense tidal effects of Saturn.  Similar cracks have been seen (and finally understood) on Phobos. 

[Image: index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=40969]

Is there any reason why the photos aren't coming up in Vorlon's post? I copied the links directly into firefox and they are valid.
Soulless minion of orthodoxy.
RE: Pan; a weirder moon of Saturn
I had to open those pics in their own windows ... I'm using Chrome.

Great pics and interesting backstory.
Be well, and do good work.
RE: Pan; a weirder moon of Saturn
And let's not forget Daphnis:

[Image: PIA21056cropsharpen.jpg]
The problem with 90% of the politicians is they make the other 10% look bad.
RE: Pan; a weirder moon of Saturn

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The moon's formation Tazzycorn 41 1297 13th January 2017, 16:05
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Saturn vorlon13 24 1024 9th January 2017, 02:08
Last Post: vorlon13
  Prometheus, a moon of Saturn vorlon13 16 1356 26th January 2016, 06:12
Last Post: ignoramus
  Global ocean discovered on Saturn moon Cyberman 24 3271 17th September 2015, 23:55
Last Post: vorlon13
  Evidence of how our Moon formed... found? Welsh cake 16 2784 6th July 2014, 19:22
Last Post: A Theist
  If the moon were only 1 pixel... Darth 1 700 8th March 2014, 07:39
Last Post: Kayenneh
  View of Earth from Saturn Faith No More 7 1952 23rd July 2013, 18:09
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The beauty secret of Saturn L.A.F. 19 4793 26th May 2013, 20:43
Last Post: Terr
  NASA Wants to Give Our Moon a Moon thesummerqueen 14 5135 4th January 2013, 01:07
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Grail Probes to crash into the moon in about an hour popeyespappy 10 2100 18th December 2012, 03:47
Last Post: KichigaiNeko

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)