Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help With Electric Project for Alzhimerz
Help With Electric Project for Alzhimerz
Hi, my husband and I have a project. Neither of us know much about electronics beyond household wiring. But we want to build an LED that flashes at 40 megahertz.

Why? Well we recently heard on Radio Lab about a study in mice in which a 40 megahertz flashing light reversed alzhimerz symptoms in mice. His mother and my step-father are both suffering from dementia. So we'd like to try this out as we can't imagine it could hurt and it will be years before it's cleared to test on people.

We have two small breadboards, 9 volt batteries, and LED's. We've tested with other capacitors, but to get a 40 megahertz flash we need 500 Ferdinand capacitors with at least a 9 volt capacity. I can't buy them locally. On line I keep finding them in quantities of 1000 or so. Any suggestions for where to purchase 10 capacitors or less?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
RE: Help With Electric Project for Alzhimerz
So, basically, unsanctioned human experimentation?

Tongue
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 13, 2017 at 6:33 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: So, basically, unsanctioned human experimentation?

Tongue
Yep. And probably too late as well. But hey we're just flashing a light. At MIT they began by inserting a light in the mice's brains. Later they discovered just flashing before their eyes worked just as well. ?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
40 megahertz?

Ferdinand ?

I don't know where to start here . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(March 13, 2017 at 6:38 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(March 13, 2017 at 6:33 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: So, basically, unsanctioned human experimentation?

Tongue
Yep.  And probably too late as well. But hey we're just flashing a light. At MIT they began by inserting a light in the mice's brains.  Later they discovered just flashing before their eyes worked just as well. ?

I can't help you with the electronics, but good luck.

I'd be fascinated to hear any results, though
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 13, 2017 at 6:40 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: 40 megahertz?

Ferdinand ?

I don't know where to start here . . .
With a hobby source of capacitors. . . PLEASE
Ferdinand is presumably farad, but a 500 farad capacitor in a circuit blinking an LED at 40 MHz is about as unlikely as anything I've heard.

Also, a biological system like a brain or eyeball responding differently to 40MHz flashes as opposed to 400 Hz flashes is a wonderment to me.

Go to the movies and the picture flashes at 48 Hz and NOBODY notices the flicker, flickering a million times faster and generating a response in tissue?? Doesn't seem remotely plausible.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Even with the new capacitor technology, a 500 farad capacitor is going to be dorm room refrigerator size. And getting such a beast to do something in the megahertz range is nuts.

Sorry.

(March 13, 2017 at 6:42 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(March 13, 2017 at 6:38 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Yep.  And probably too late as well. But hey we're just flashing a light. At MIT they began by inserting a light in the mice's brains.  Later they discovered just flashing before their eyes worked just as well. ?

I can't help you with the electronics, but good luck.

I'd be fascinated to hear any results, though

The mice weren't very far along. Unfortunately our parents have reached the memory care center stage. If it works I'll be shocked. But we will remember this should one of us begin to lose it. 40 megahertz is the frequency that our brains put out when thinking through directions or math. What it made the alzhimerz mice do is clear out plaque in their brains#. Ceasing to clear plaque is one of the causes of Alzhimerz.
I'm sorry you have family in this predicament, but the specs you have posted are not conceivably plausible at all.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Multiple Sclerosis Map: my latest web project WinterHold 22 2940 October 4, 2019 at 10:02 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Electric vs. Gasoline Car Emissions from Production to Recycling AFTT47 5 641 March 19, 2019 at 9:23 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Thank god, I finished this MVC project finally ! WinterHold 6 1182 April 4, 2015 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  venus project stonedape 2 856 October 28, 2014 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: stonedape
  Compressor Educational [Mini project] Marsellus Wallace 7 1643 July 13, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Windshore Project thesummerqueen 8 2080 October 17, 2012 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Google Project Glass Paul the Human 11 3310 April 7, 2012 at 9:43 am
Last Post: fuckass365