Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aslem's argument is sound!
Aslem's argument is sound!
Aslem's argument is sound: Perfections as a concept exist and are also part of reality. We also acknowledge existence to be a perfection. In fact, it's really stupid to say all characteristics of beauty are beautiful except it existing part. It's stupid to say all characteristics of greatness are great except it existing. Not only do they exist in our minds, we see they exist in reality in our souls. But Perfection at it's ultimate and it's source, must be perfect. And existence is a perfection. Not only that but existence is another name for perfection. Muslims know this because Al-Hayu (The Living) is one of the All-Beautiful names of God. The barfing refutations of that all are saying existence is not a perfection...at the end, it comes down to that. It's not great to exist, it's not beautiful to exist or existing part of life has nothing to do with it's beautfy...none of that....so those philosophers might as well go jump of a bridge since there is no merit to existing. Not only is this so blatantly false, but we know the more we increase in existence, the more life force we get, and the more ALIVE we are, the more great and beautiful we are.
RE: Aslem's argument is sound!
Demonstrate that existence is a perfection. Make sure you're reading Plato, too ... he might have a different view on the matter.

The refutation of Aslem's argument by western philosophers: "You imagining an action you do is as good as you doing it". That is a nutshell why Aslem is not refuted! A real living action is BETTER then an action one just imagines! It's not stupid to say so. It's true. The same is true of Greatness. If it is real, it's greater then it not. Not only that, but greatness will have no reality if it has no existence. That by necessity shows All-Greatness (God) exists, necessarily. These things might be confusing but the old scholars like Aslem had it right. We are puffed with pride and look at the past people as if they are stupid. Plato proved God many centuries before all this as well!

The refutation of Aslem's argument by western philosophers: "You imagining an action you do is as good as you doing it". That is a nutshell why Aslem is not refuted! A real living action is BETTER then an action one just imagines! It's not stupid to say so. It's true. The same is true of Greatness. If it is real, it's greater then it not. Not only that, but greatness will have no reality if it has no existence. That by necessity shows All-Greatness (God) exists, necessarily. These things might be confusing but the old scholars like Aslem had it right. We are puffed with pride and look at the past people as if they are stupid. Plato proved God many centuries before all this as well!

(March 18, 2017 at 1:25 am)MysticKnight Wrote: Aslem's

Anselm, MysticKnight. Anselm. Not "Aslem".

(March 18, 2017 at 1:25 am)MysticKnight Wrote: argument is sound

No. Anselm's argument is at best valid. It is not and cannot be sound, because it is explicitly not making use of any evidence to prove that its premises are actually true. That is why it is called an ontological argument.

(March 18, 2017 at 1:25 am)MysticKnight Wrote: Perfections as a concept exist and are also part of reality. We also acknowledge existence to be a perfection.

No and no.

Serious questions: are you on drugs, and is English your first language?
"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
  - A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
(March 18, 2017 at 1:32 am)MysticKnight Wrote: A real living action is BETTER then an action one just imagines! It's not stupid to say so. It's true.

You're simply repeating your point, not supporting it. Again, other folks, such as Plato and Thomas Aquinas, regarded the physical realm as the flawed realm. In that case, perfection would be better attained without flawed physical representation.

Quote:A real living action is BETTER then an action one just imagines!

Why?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Is Aslem the muslim version of Anselm?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I thought he meant ASLEF.

Aslem - wasn't that the lion from the Narnia books?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
CS Lewis was never sound.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 18, 2017 at 1:25 am)MysticKnight Wrote: Perfections as a concept exist and are also part of reality.

Perfection in reality exists only at a very trivial level, such as a perfect score in bowling.  Even in that case, there is much imperfection in a "perfect" game, such as the ball taking an erratic course that just happens to knock down all the pins.

Quote:Not only that but existence is another name for perfection. Muslims know this because Al-Hayu (The Living) is one of the All-Beautiful names of God.

It's. Just. A. Name.  It certainly isn't evidence for anything more than the existence of Muslims who want to give their hypothetical god a bunch of fancy names.

Quote: The barfing refutations of that all are saying existence is not a perfection...at the end, it comes down to that. It's not great to exist, it's not beautiful to exist or existing part of life has nothing to do with it's beautfy...none of that....so those philosophers might as well go jump of a bridge since there is no merit to existing. Not only is this so blatantly false, but we know the more we increase in existence, the more life force we get, and the more ALIVE we are, the more great and beautiful we are.

Totally unsubstantiated assertion.  Many things exist that have no life force, such as rocks.  There is also no way to measure how "alive" we are -- We are either alive, or not.  Taking your argument a bit further, a human infected with trillions of parasites and bacteria would contain more life forms but would not necessarily be beautiful at all.

I also don't care if life is imperfect or not overly beautiful.  I enjoy it anyway, and really don't give a flying fuck about whether or not it has "merit."

(March 18, 2017 at 1:32 am)MysticKnight Wrote: A real living action is BETTER then an action one just imagines! It's not stupid to say so. It's true. The same is true of Greatness. If it is real, it's greater then it not. Not only that, but greatness will have no reality if it has no existence. That by necessity shows All-Greatness (God) exists, necessarily.

Heeheeheeheehee! You really are  getting desperate to "prove" the existence of your imaginary friend to us, aren't you, MK?  You've failed every previous time.  I predict that you will never succeed, and that at the end your own faith will be in ruins as well.  Give up while you're behind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sound Vaguely Familiar? Minimalist 3 621 October 24, 2018 at 2:18 pm
Last Post: no one
  How Christians and there god sound to me. Gooders1002 248 61607 December 24, 2012 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Whitewolf
  Does this sound too much like organized religion? starbucks 25 7826 February 13, 2010 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: tackattack