Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mark Twain's Letters From The Earth
Mark Twain's Letters From The Earth
A thoughtful TTA member posted Mark Twain's Letters from the Earth on the discussion boards, and as a result, I thought that some AF members may find them interesting.  Here's an excerpt from letter II

Letters from the Earth

"As you have seen, that singular show is a service of praise: praise by hymn, praise by prostration. It takes the place of "church." Now then, in the earth these people cannot stand much church -- an hour and a quarter is the limit, and they draw the line at once a week. That is to say, Sunday. One day in seven; and even then they do not look forward to it with longing. And so -- consider what their heaven provides for them: "church" that lasts forever, and a Sabbath that has no end! They quickly weary of this brief hebdomadal Sabbath here, yet they long for that eternal one; they dream of it, they talk about it, they think they think they are going to enjoy it -- with all their simple hearts they think they think they are going to be happy in it!

It is because they do not think at all; they only think they think. Whereas they can't think; not two human beings in ten thousand have anything to think with. And as to imagination -- oh, well, look at their heaven! They accept it, they approve it, they admire it. That gives you their intellectual measure." Mark Twain

Well, with that said, I hope that Letters from the Earth will be of interest to the people in the AF community.  In addition, please post any of your favorite passages.  Live long and prosper.

P.S. While reading Letters from the Earth, I kept hearing the voice of Jerry Hardin, who played Mark Twain in the Star Trek TNG two part episode "Time's Arrow."

RE: Mark Twain's Letters From The Earth
Yeah, I was just over there on that thread.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How long has Humanity been on Planet Earth? MFrancis 19 684 March 13, 2024 at 6:16 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Love Letters to Richard Dawkins Czechlervitz30 6 2002 July 20, 2016 at 7:37 am
Last Post: The Viking
  how do you think life on earth will end? Rextos 42 6515 November 18, 2015 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Young Earth creationism Baqal 33 4532 July 10, 2014 at 2:45 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10462 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  You atheists are the scum of the Earth, but god loves you Yahweh 29 6696 November 19, 2013 at 5:35 pm
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Torchwood - Children of Earth Tiberius 9 4422 July 12, 2009 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Eilonnwy