Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Torchwood - Children of Earth
Torchwood - Children of Earth
Just finished watching the last episode of the Torchwood mini-series "Children of Earth". Was actually quite surprised at how they managed to create a great sci-fi show whilst simultaneously looking at the ethical issue of "sacrifice the few to save the many", and the many ramifications of such an ethical dilemma.

Anyone else watch it?
RE: Torchwood - Children of Earth
A NEW Torchwood? No I haven't seen it. (Ive seen the first two series) In my opinion the best sci fi/fantasy TV in over 30 years. Literate,adult, witty and times quite profound.

You little beauty!

I'm so please to learn that I could just shit. I will see if I can obtain a copy.

Thanks mate

OHER BBC shows like: Just about to watch the finale of "The Tudors,which I found uneven, ,enjoying the third series the most.Also like "Spooks" "Silent Witness"and never miss "New Tricks" (probably because I identify with Jerry) Also "Doc Martin", and loved "Foyle's War" the fist two times round. (Fancy Sam (Honeysuckle Weeks) rotten.I was recently chuffed to learn Honey had a 2 week fling with Hugh Grant, but had the good sense not to linger with the prick on legs.
It's currently on the BBC iPlayer if you want to watch. They showed all 5 episodes this week (one per weekday). Certainly kept the tension up.
Sacrifice the few to save the many. Sort of like "Eat the rich." But what quality of life would they have? Now if we were to wipe out 5 billion of the wretched poor, think of all the resources we could squander.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
This would certainly add up to the idea of net moral value.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
In the program, the aliens known as "the 456" wanted 10% of Earth's children to use as drugs, or they would release a virus to wipe out all of humanity.

Though I suppose they'll be able to rectify the problem and use the point as character building material if they decide to produce a forth series.
Hoi Zaeme.
(July 11, 2009 at 4:22 pm)rjh Wrote:

Though I suppose they'll be able to rectify the problem and use the point as character building material if they decide to produce a forth series.
I think that given what he had done, and the kind of person he was (immortal), it was the only rational decision he could make other than taking the same course of action as Mr Frobisher did. Without giving anything of the plot away, I think it was a nice illustration of how the "sacrifice the few to save the many", whilst in most cases is the most rational choice, has its own consequences.
Heh, thanks for reminded me that Torchwood is back for a few episodes. Downloading Episode 1 now.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
spoiler Wrote:Damnit, they killed Ianto. My favorite character and they killed him. I don't know if I want to watch another season now if they make one. Way to fucking ruin the entire series for me.

The way the handled the sacrifice issue was pretty interesting....but...arghhh!!! I'm not happy.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How long has Humanity been on Planet Earth? MFrancis 19 703 March 13, 2024 at 6:16 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Ken Ham hurts children, watch Manowar 4 1166 October 23, 2017 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Athiest with children? Jesus Cristo 69 12808 October 12, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Mark Twain's Letters From The Earth Kernel Sohcahtoa 1 877 April 12, 2017 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  how do you think life on earth will end? Rextos 42 6515 November 18, 2015 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  atheism and children Catholic_Lady 568 82648 September 6, 2015 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Talking to children about death rossrocks88 10 3801 July 22, 2015 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Will you raise your children as Atheists? Kloud 54 10566 December 20, 2014 at 4:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Explaining death to children. Intimae_Hasta 25 5957 July 10, 2014 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Ksa
  Young Earth creationism Baqal 33 4564 July 10, 2014 at 2:45 am
Last Post: Mudhammam