Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turkey referendum
Turkey referendum
This is fucking insane and will definitely put more strain on Turkey-EU relations... Undecided

What's your thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39612562

Quote:Voting is under way in Turkey in a landmark referendum that will determine whether President Recep Tayyip Erdogan will be granted sweeping new powers.

Mr Erdogan is seeking to replace Turkey's parliamentary system with an executive presidency.

Supporters say the move would streamline and modernise the country, but opponents fear it could lead to greater authoritarianism.

A "yes" vote could also see Mr Erdogan remain in office until 2029.

On Saturday, Turkish politicians made their final appeals to voters preparing to cast their ballots on one of the most sweeping programmes of constitutional change since Turkey became a republic almost a century ago.

Some 55 million people are eligible to vote across 167,000 polling stations, with the results expected to be announced late on Sunday evening.

If the referendum vote falls in Mr Erdogan's favour, it would give him vastly enhanced powers to appoint cabinet ministers, issue decrees, choose senior judges and dissolve parliament.

Mr Erdogan said the changes were needed to address the security challenges faced by Turkey, and to avoid the fragile coalition governments of the past.
RE: Turkey referendum
Twelve years is too long to go without another appeal to the voting public. Seems to be a power grab, to me.

(April 16, 2017 at 4:09 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Twelve years is too long to go without another appeal to the voting public. Seems to be a power grab, to me.

It most definitely is.

Turkey has been edging closer to authoritarianism ever since the attempted coup. I don't mean to sound sensationalist but with the recent talk of bringing back the death penalty and with the government clamping down dissidents, we could eventually see political opponents and activists executed. It may also contribute to the further rise of the far-right in Europe, as Erdogan has said he will consider reviewing the refugee deal after the referendum.

Either way, if the nationalists win this, you can kiss democracy and Turkey's hopes of joining the EU goodbye. I am wondering how the Trump administration will respond as well.
Erdogan is making the typical strongman argument: 'I need increased powers to protect the State'. I imagine he'll get them - I'm not all that sanguine about the validity of 'voting' in Turkey.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Well, major news networks are saying that Erdogan has more or less won already. I doubt it was a fair referendum.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2...ial-powers
There have been e.g. reports where places had more ballots than registered voters. If those aren't all made up, I think they manipulated it heavily. That being said, in the current political climate, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that enough people really voted that way. Turkey is very divided politically. They should just split up the country and let all the sane people live in a democracy on this side of the bosporus, and have their fascist dictatorship on the other.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(April 16, 2017 at 3:21 pm)Alex K Wrote: There have been e.g. reports where places had more ballots than registered voters. If those aren't all made up, I think they manipulated it heavily. That being said, in the current political climate, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that enough people really voted that way. Turkey is very divided politically. They should just split up the country and let all the sane people live in a democracy on this side of the bosporus, and have their fascist dictatorship on the other.

I heard something about a decision to accept blank ballots. I have also been reading about the increased harassment of activists by pro-government supporters leading up to the referendum. It certainly wasn't a fair referendum by any stretch of the imagination. Germany could always take the democracy supporters in...
(April 16, 2017 at 3:50 pm)Isis Wrote:
(April 16, 2017 at 3:21 pm)Alex K Wrote: There have been e.g. reports where places had more ballots than registered voters. If those aren't all made up, I think they manipulated it heavily. That being said, in the current political climate, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that enough people really voted that way. Turkey is very divided politically. They should just split up the country and let all the sane people live in a democracy on this side of the bosporus, and have their fascist dictatorship on the other.

I heard something about a decision to accept blank ballots. I have also been reading about the increased harassment of activists by pro-government supporters leading up to the referendum. It certainly wasn't a fair referendum by any stretch of the imagination. Germany could always take the democracy supporters in.

Someone on my Twitter suggested that all the Yes voters in Germany should trade places with the No voters in Turkey, and everybody would win!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Excellent idea.
(April 16, 2017 at 3:13 pm)Isis Wrote: Well, major news networks are saying that Erdogan has more or less won already. I doubt it was a fair referendum.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2...ial-powers

Well considering he's locked up opposition members . Locked up journalist . and gone after media critical of his party . All before calling this "referendum"(establishment of a dictatorship)

If he wins his next move will likely be

1. Disband or weaken parliament till it's just a puppet . This will ensure that no future political rivals will rise from that quarter

2. Purge the media using dog whistle terms "security" or" concerns about"
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Over 2300 dead in Turkey Fake Messiah 44 3571 June 6, 2023 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Adnan Oktar, TV cult preacher jailed for 8,658 years in Turkey LinuxGal 1 593 November 18, 2022 at 5:48 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Turkey's Erdogan orders the conversion of Hagia Sophia back into a mosque AniKoferBo 91 2777 July 15, 2020 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Turkey to ban evolution from curriculum abaris 10 1594 January 25, 2017 at 12:35 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Turkey and Russia bombing together abaris 0 749 January 18, 2017 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Russian Ambassador to turkey shot dead. downbeatplumb 18 3298 December 22, 2016 at 12:35 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Turkey blocks web drives after email leak account_inactive 20 2643 October 31, 2016 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Has anyone stopped to cinsider this idiocy - Turkey fighting Kurds abaris 6 978 July 30, 2015 at 6:26 am
Last Post: abaris
  Suckerburg becomes turkey over Turkey Brian37 11 1436 January 29, 2015 at 11:40 am
Last Post: vorlon13