Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Over 2300 dead in Turkey
Over 2300 dead in Turkey
Oh, well, people are at a loss for words when an earthquake happens since you can't blame anyone, and yet you can't pretend like it didn't happen.

The buildings are falling like they are made of cards.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Over 2300 dead in Turkey
I here that it's not an epicenter but an epiline.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I understand Turkey has one of the strictest earthquake resistant building standards in the world in combination with one of the most corrupt and ineffectual earthquake resistant building standard enforcements in the world.

Basically almost no new building in built in Turkey since the establishment of these standards can meet even a fraction of these standards.
Last death count 3700.
2,200 years old Gazintap Castle destroyed by the earthquake in Turkey.

Before vs Now.

[Image: KNHxzoES_o.jpg]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
5000+.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
What a tragedy.

By comparison, we had an earthquake of similar magnitude (7.7 vs 7.8) last September with only a few lives lost. Construction quality here is often poor as well. I can only speculate what accounts for the difference
Update, death toll up to 7200.
(February 7, 2023 at 3:42 pm)Jackalope Wrote: What a tragedy.

By comparison, we had an earthquake of similar magnitude (7.7 vs 7.8)  last September with only a few lives lost.  Construction quality here is often poor as well.  I can only speculate what accounts for the difference

Urban area?   Population density?

Japan has some of the strictest earthquake building standards and earth quake preparedness practices in the world, and takes them very diligently and seriously.   Nonetheless, a magnitude 6.7 earthquake near densely populated Kobe killed 6700 people in 1995.
(February 7, 2023 at 3:53 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: 2,200 years old Gazintap Castle destroyed by the earthquake in Turkey.

Before vs Now.

[Image: KNHxzoES_o.jpg]

Is it just me that thinks those two images don't even look close to being the same castle?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adnan Oktar, TV cult preacher jailed for 8,658 years in Turkey LinuxGal 1 587 November 18, 2022 at 5:48 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Turkey's Erdogan orders the conversion of Hagia Sophia back into a mosque AniKoferBo 91 2762 July 15, 2020 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  All over the internet, Tom Petty dead at 66 Brian37 26 3900 January 19, 2018 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: c172
  Turkey referendum Isis 22 3400 April 17, 2017 at 6:00 am
Last Post: Isis
  Turkey to ban evolution from curriculum abaris 10 1586 January 25, 2017 at 12:35 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Turkey and Russia bombing together abaris 0 746 January 18, 2017 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Russian Ambassador to turkey shot dead. downbeatplumb 18 3297 December 22, 2016 at 12:35 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Turkey blocks web drives after email leak account_inactive 20 2639 October 31, 2016 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Has anyone stopped to cinsider this idiocy - Turkey fighting Kurds abaris 6 971 July 30, 2015 at 6:26 am
Last Post: abaris
  Suckerburg becomes turkey over Turkey Brian37 11 1436 January 29, 2015 at 11:40 am
Last Post: vorlon13