Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the Highest Authority You Recognize?
What is the Highest Authority You Recognize?
What is the highest authority you recognize? In other words, to what or to whom do you feel obliged to obey and why?
RE: What is the Highest Authority You Recognize?
Generally the local cops. I guess I could say my parents, but I sometimes have disagreements with them.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Emergency Auxiliary Backup Cat #2 thinks it otta be him.

It AIN'T !!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I can't answer that without the question being placed into a context.

For instance, in AF and regarding cardiac surgery, my highest authority is Valk.

In AF and regarding physics, I'll go with Alex.

I won't even consider "obey". That is my individual choice, whether that entity has authority or not.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
"Obey" is very general. To always obey under any circumstance: no one. Most of the time: my boss, my wife, usually obey unless there is a reason for protest: the auhorities of my government.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Me.

Smile
Dying to live, living to die.
(April 19, 2017 at 5:10 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: What is the highest authority you recognize? In other words, to what or to whom do you feel obliged to obey and why?

I have obligations aplenty..to friends, family, my fellow man, myself (hell, I have an obligation to the asshole that sometimes picks up my trash).  None of them are obligations to obey.  I am a free man, right?  I can do and accept the consequences of whatever action I deem appropriate?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
as a general rule, I'd accede to the largest Lesbian in my vicinity . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Hmm.  The police, the government - as long as they aren't doing something outrageous.  However, I wouldn't obey Hair Gropenfuhrer Cheeto Hitler and his crony Pence, I don't care what they asked of me.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
Obedience is for dogs and robots not men

Obligation has nothing to do with obedience
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If Blacks have superior dicks, then explain highest risk of infecting AIDS Konboa 8 1315 September 5, 2018 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Highest Rank of "Moron" Minimalist 2 458 October 10, 2017 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Your internet privacy is now for sale to the highest bidder in Trumpistan Jackalope 60 6144 March 30, 2017 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Crunchy
  NI election turnout highest since Good Friday Agreement account_inactive 1 662 March 4, 2017 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  I think I'm starting to recognize the real issue with American politics now NuclearEnergy 24 5432 January 15, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Illinois to become 15th state to recognize marriage equality Ryantology 155 29862 February 14, 2014 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Minimalist