Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good news about Cassini !!
Good news about Cassini !!
First pass between the inner edge of the visible rings and the cloud tops of Saturn was successful.  Downlink is underway, Cassini SURVIVED !!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

RE: Good news about Cassini !!
(April 27, 2017 at 11:36 am)vorlon13 Wrote: First pass between the inner edge of the visible rings and the cloud tops of Saturn was successful.  Downlink is underway, Cassini SURVIVED !!!

"Hold my  beer and watch this!"
This should yield some stunning imagery.
I can't wait.

This shit is so fantastic, and the final kamikaze dive into Saturn will be incredible as well.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I wonder how Carolyn Porco will feel watching Cassini crash into Saturn...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I hope proud as shit. Almost 10 years of mission extensions, countless data and high resolution photos, the first successful landing in the outer solar system, so much valuable information.

And sending data until the final moments.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I want pictures NOW!!!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

from https://www.newscientist.com/article/212...74094709=1
[Image: cassini-800x533.jpg]

"While the images are still murky, we can see what are probably shadows from the planet’s rings being cast onto its surface as Cassini rockets through at more than 100, 000 kilometres an hour."
[Image: w00106360-800x533.jpg]
In-fucking-credible.
Dying to live, living to die.
Been following this since the loss of contact, phantastic. Wanna see ring closeups!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cassini's Last Days Clueless Morgan 26 6921 September 14, 2017 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Cassini makes final Rhea flyby popeyespappy 0 1144 March 17, 2013 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Cassini discovers extra-terrestrial river on Titan Jackalope 1 1452 December 13, 2012 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New images of Saturn’s moons from Cassini popeyespappy 5 2471 December 27, 2011 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Cassini: Four Years of Discovery Erinome 1 1327 October 18, 2011 at 5:24 am
Last Post: LastPoet