Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stat: what goes into the world's best sangria?
Stat: what goes into the world's best sangria?
This will not be an esoteric, hypothetical conversation.  I need practical advice now.  I've got a bunch of my hortisexual friends coming over for an al fresco lunch of gazpacho and sangria.  Gazpacho I own.  Booze, not so much.

So here is what I'm doing.  I've been soaking a cup of rum and a half cup of cointreau in a bowl with sliced limes, lemons, orange, cloves and spearmint for a day.  I intend to add just the fruit infused booze to some red and rose wine tomorrow along with some fresh fruit - strawberries, blueberries, oranges and pineapple at the last minute tomorrow.  And I'll offer seltzer water and OJ for light weights like me who want to dilute that in order to remain lightweights.

So my questions to you are:

What am I doing wrong?

What could I do better?

What did I do right?

Looking for some coaching here from those in the know.
RE: Stat: what goes into the world's best sangria?
I barely drink alcohol anymore but I could go one of those drinks right now.
With orange juice. Sounds delicious.

May I suggest a small cheese platter.
Depends on whether you're using red or white.

With white, I like sliced citrus and juice with something to put some bubbles into it; soda water, Sprite etc will work according to your taste.

Come to think of it, I do something similar with red, though I'll throw in some pomegranate juice as well.

Taste as you go - easy there cowboy - and you'll do fine.
Her boyfriend, life partner or favorite toy.

For your sake I hope she is not a sloppy drunk.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I'd replace the rum with a good Jerez brandy like Carlos III, or a French brandy. That's how I learnt making them in Spain. I'd also ditch the cloves -- I'm not big on that taste, and I'd think it'd make your batch smoky rather than refreshing. I could be wrong about that.

(April 29, 2017 at 2:44 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I'd replace the rum with a good Jerez brandy like Carlos III, or a French brandy. That's how I learnt making them in Spain. I'd also ditch the cloves -- I'm not big on that taste, and I'd think it'd make your batch smoky rather than refreshing. I could be wrong about that.

Hmm, I've always used wine instead of brandy- perhaps I should try that.
I'd still use the wine, just add some brandy -- three or four shots for a 1/2-gallon pitcher.

(April 29, 2017 at 2:44 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I'd replace the rum with a good Jerez brandy like Carlos III, or a French brandy. That's how I learnt making them in Spain. I'd also ditch the cloves -- I'm not big on that taste, and I'd think it'd make your batch smoky rather than refreshing. I could be wrong about that.

Slivovitz, not brandy or rum.
Just have your guests shotgun tequila shots until the bottle is gone. They won't give a shit what's in the sangria.
(April 29, 2017 at 8:47 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

Slivovitz, not brandy or rum.

Never had that. But a sangria with Jerez brandy in it ... that was good stuff.

Not being a drinker any more, I won't take your advice, but if it works for you go with it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Making Indoor Cat into Outdoor cat. vulcanlogician 22 1984 May 1, 2021 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Crossing into Canada EgoDeath 5 577 November 22, 2019 at 10:00 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  If Jesus had ascended into Heaven... Jehanne 23 2080 May 13, 2019 at 7:38 am
Last Post: madog
  The best job in the world... Gawdzilla Sama 31 2191 April 23, 2019 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Looking into femine hygiene; do you . . . vorlon13 89 14966 October 31, 2018 at 11:38 am
Last Post: SaStrike
  somebody, Please Talk Sense into My Stupid Head. I Think I'm Getting Ready to Fuck Up Rhondazvous 30 2254 September 13, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Ran into another Food Nazi just now. Brian37 31 2846 July 31, 2018 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Dead Saturday turns into mildly lively Sunday Foxaèr 0 306 May 13, 2018 at 3:28 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  East Asians don't integrate into Western culture Alexmahone 38 3439 March 16, 2018 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  What goes on your dog? J a c k 82 5425 March 13, 2018 at 4:14 am
Last Post: Little lunch