Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fate and Religion
Fate and Religion
How do you define fate and how would you separate it from religion?

I, personally, don't think there's any bloody difference... apart from how it's a shit load more subtle. I've noticed a few of my apatheist friends are fixated with fate and how it governs their lives. Apatheism, of course, is the name for people who don't give a fuck about anything to do with God and religion and what it means to them. Yet some find meaning in something else; Fate.
"We need not a God; just another human being to give life a meaning. For people are truly all people have" author unknown

RE: Fate and Religion
[Image: Shit_Happens_by_Katmomma.jpg]
apt.....
"We need not a God; just another human being to give life a meaning. For people are truly all people have" author unknown

(September 29, 2010 at 11:11 am)Scott Richens Wrote: How do you define fate and how would you separate it from religion?

I, personally, don't think there's any bloody difference... apart from how it's a shit load more subtle. I've noticed a few of my apatheist friends are fixated with fate and how it governs their lives. Apatheism, of course, is the name for people who don't give a fuck about anything to do with God and religion and what it means to them. Yet some find meaning in something else; Fate.

Do they also read their horoscopes, that is a sticky superstition isnt it.

The fact is people see patterns where none exists, they mistake coincidences for fate and or divine plans.
(Divine plans would seem to contradict free will but never mind.)

So once again we find religion and superstition being remarkably similar I wonder why?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Hypothetical Q + A

Q.
Why have I been fired from my job, and why is my old boss now sleeping with my wife?

Christian A.
"Because god wills it"
or
"God moves in mysterious ways"

Atheist
A.
"That's horrible, you should do something about it. After all, we control our own lives, don't we?

Tiger
[Image: cassandrasaid.jpg]
Fate is intertwined with religious philosophy. It all depends on this notion that there is design to the universe, that things happen according to the plan of some one or some thing pulling the strings on everything. It's an absurd conclusion based on wishful thinking. We seek reason for events and circumstances, we meet someone we want to spend our lives with and decide that it was only through divine purpose that it happened, and not that it simply ended up that way. Very juvenile.
"In our youth, we lacked the maturity, the decency to create gods better than ourselves so that we might have something to aspire to. Instead we are left with a host of deities who were violent, narcissistic, vengeful bullies who reflected our own values. Our gods could have been anything we could imagine, and all we were capable of manifesting were gods who shared the worst of our natures."-Me

"Atheism leaves a man to sense, to philosophy, to natural piety, to laws, to reputation; all of which may be guides to an outward moral virtue, even if religion vanished; but religious superstition dismounts all these and erects an absolute monarchy in the minds of men." – Francis Bacon
I have asked the same question, is there such thing as fate? I was talking to my Hindu friend and I told her I thought fate was a load of rubbish but the more I think of it, the more real it is. Is it luck we were born where we are or is it fate?

Quote:Christian A.
"Because god wills it"
or
"God moves in mysterious ways"

Ummmm no. But I will give you ten points for giving it ago.
Its ok to have doubt, just dont let that doubt become the answers.

You dont hate God, you hate the church game.

"God is not what you imagine or what you think you understand. If you understand you have failed." Saint Augustine

Your mind works very simply: you are either trying to find out what are God's laws in order to follow them; or you are trying to outsmart Him. -Martin H. Fischer
(September 29, 2010 at 11:11 am)Scott Richens Wrote: How do you define fate and how would you separate it from religion?

There are secular and religious views on fate.
Religious ones obviously have to do with predestiny in the sense that god knows our beginning as well as our end and everything in between as well as less simplistic views on the matter.

The more secular/non-religious views on fate isn't nearly as prominant in our everyday lives beyond our view of what time is and can be extraordinarily complicated. For example, the idea of the grandfather paradox touches on this in this and there are enormous implications as to the control we could have on our own future even in our daily lives. The good parts of the terminator franchise is absolutely all about this (that is, the first two movies and the short-lived TV series.)
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
That God knows what's coming has no correlation whatsoever with a Christian submitting to fate. ALL anti superstitious (and I count Christians as less superstitious than atheists) consider fate to be fairytale.
(October 8, 2010 at 5:16 am)fr0d0 Wrote: (and I count Christians as less superstitious than atheists)

Jawdrop Banging Head On Desk

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4250 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Is no Religion a Religion. Artur Axmann 76 16583 June 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Muslim Atheism