Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cooking Morel Mushrooms
Cooking Morel Mushrooms
Has anyone else ever cooked these spring time mushrooms? No, they ain't the kind that get you high... sadly. lol Just wondering if any of you guys had any good recipes for 'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXfCLz9IwHE

RE: Cooking Morel Mushrooms
Yes!  My father goes out and collects some every year.  First, most of the time you find these for sale, they are harvested wild, so make sure you wash them very thoroughly.  Dirt and debris can really work inside all those wrinkles and even up inside the stem.  Personally, I soak them in lightly salted water overnight to get all the bugs and crud out.  (For most fresh mushrooms it's a big nono to wash them with water, but Morels are an exception.)

Alone, I like to deep fry them.  Just coat them in a little flour and pan fry in butter.  They don't need much, they are so flavorful on their own.

I tried making cream of mushroom soup with them one year.  It was alright, but honestly I think they are best eaten in larger bits.

The other way I've really enjoyed is sliced and sauted in butter, and served over pasta, either with simple browned butter or a basic white sauce.

Enjoy your golden treats!
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
I prefer small ones, or cut larger ones in forths.

Also, I'm a bigger fan of white and gray ones, they seem to have a little better texture than the yellow ones.

I leave a little stem on them, but not too much.

Soak overnight in salt water as noted above.

I mix up a milk and egg dip, couple eggs per cup of milk. Let the mushrooms soak in the mixture and get in all the wrinkles.

Then I take them and put them in a bag with 1/3 corn meal, 1/3 flour and 1/3 cornstarch. It really adheres well. Also, per cup of coating mixture, I add white pepper and Seasoned salt to taste. Start with a tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper. That will probably be on the bland side, you can add more at the table, or bump up next batch.

And then fry slowly in REAL butter at a lower heat till golden brown.

Serve and enjoy immediately.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Whenever I have morel mushrooms, I find the best way to prepare them is to give them to someone who eats mushrooms.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cooking vs Restaurants Spongebob 107 5696 September 19, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Cooking Tips BrianSoddingBoru4 64 3006 November 13, 2019 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  What's cooking, good-looking? Mr.Obvious 45 2423 April 3, 2019 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What are you cooking/eating right now? Joods 1249 75046 December 18, 2017 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  What's everyone cooking for turkey day? brewer 43 6558 November 18, 2016 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: Athene
  What are you cooking/eating for Thanksgiving? SteelCurtain 46 4516 November 27, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Cooking with Dyre Double Recipe Late night munchies + Bread pudding dyresand 0 1328 November 13, 2015 at 2:50 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Cooking with Dyre French Toast dyresand 10 1845 November 12, 2015 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Cooking Languange Jenny A 22 2828 December 10, 2014 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: ManMachine
Heart The Cooking Thread Napoléon 30 10110 August 18, 2011 at 10:56 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen