Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My story...
My story...
I was raised southern baptist in the good old bible belt. My first experience with "god" was when I was 6, I don't remember much of brought it on but all I remember was running to my mother's bedroom screaming and crying that I don't want to go to hell. She called the pastor and I was "saved" the first time. Some years later around the age of 13 I was at a play and one of my friends felt the need to be saved, so I went with him and got "saved" the second time. The 3rd and last time was after a major car crash when I was 19 and my mother told me "god" was trying to get my attention and asked if I was really saved. So I got "saved" again. Now through out all the years I have asked questions to my mother like why does god demand so much from us? That answer is well he loves us so much, that he deserves it from us. So I always had been a skeptical of this god idea. Though when I was 20, I said screw god and have been atheist for the last 4 years.
RE: My story...
"God" is something of a shmuck but his followers are genuinely fucked up.

You're best off ignoring them.
Welcome to the forum
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Welcome
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Hey there, dude and welcome!
Welcome aboard, fellow atheist!

Oh, wait a minute...that's not my line...well, hello there anyway, dude! Big Grin
(October 7, 2010 at 4:00 pm)Watson Wrote: Welcome aboard, fellow atheist!

Oh, wait a minute...that's not my line...well, hello there anyway, dude! Big Grin

Freudian slip, no doubt.

(September 30, 2010 at 12:46 am)freemike Wrote: The 3rd and last time was after a major car crash when I was 19 and my mother told me "god" was trying to get my attention and asked if I was really saved. So I got "saved" again.

So you had the salvation trifecta, ay? So much for the Southern Baptist doctrine, "Once saved, always saved." That one at 6 years old should have done the trick. lol

Welcome to the forums!
Our Daily Train blog at jeremystyron.com

---
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea | By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown | Till human voices wake us, and we drown. — T.S. Eliot

"... man always has to decide for himself in the darkness, that he must want beyond what he knows. ..." — Simone de Beauvoir

"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again." — Albert Camus, "The Stranger"
---
(October 11, 2010 at 12:59 pm)everythingafter Wrote:
(September 30, 2010 at 12:46 am)freemike Wrote: The 3rd and last time was after a major car crash when I was 19 and my mother told me "god" was trying to get my attention and asked if I was really saved. So I got "saved" again.

So you had the salvation trifecta, ay? So much for the Southern Baptist doctrine, "Once saved, always saved." That one at 6 years old should have done the trick. lol

Welcome to the forums!

So the key to salvation is to be a gullible child.

Welcome aboard!

One Question: Do you understand the difference between a Deistic God and omnipitent, transcedent, omniscent God?
Its ok to have doubt, just dont let that doubt become the answers.

You dont hate God, you hate the church game.

"God is not what you imagine or what you think you understand. If you understand you have failed." Saint Augustine

Your mind works very simply: you are either trying to find out what are God's laws in order to follow them; or you are trying to outsmart Him. -Martin H. Fischer

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So my story of becoming a non-believer: Mechaghostman2 2 1739 January 8, 2016 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Old Baby
  My conversion story, just to get it off my chest. LadyForCamus 4 1914 December 26, 2015 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  My Deconversion Story PhilliptheTeenageAtheist 26 5281 June 2, 2015 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  My Conversion Story Rancid 16 4525 February 21, 2015 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Converted into Athiesm - My Story coolfunkDJ 15 4539 February 9, 2015 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Nope
  Recent convert - My story Regina 6 2303 January 7, 2015 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Regina
  The Conversion Story of a Kid Kloud 11 3327 December 18, 2014 at 6:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My Deconversion Story warlocksarebest 15 4501 November 20, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: Logical Adolecent
  Another Story Raevoryx 9 3802 August 13, 2014 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Raevoryx
  My story. topher 0 1100 April 24, 2014 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: topher