Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study finds link between brain damage and fundamentalism
Study finds link between brain damage and fundamentalism
Yes. "A new study in the journal Neuropsychologia found that lesions in a particular brain region tend to increase religious fundamentalism."  Vietnam vets who had lesions in the ventromedial prefrontal cortex had more instances of religious fundamentalism.
http://www.psypost.org/2017/05/study-unc...lism-48860

Now, they admit straight away that the study is limited.  (Well, most good ones are, of course.  Too many variables creates havoc.)  I haven't been able to access the actual study, but the three reports that I have read do not indicate whether any research was done on the family history of the injured veterans.  They had to be of the baby-boomer generation, when a greater percentage of Americans were raised in (christian) religious households.  Were they all from the same area of the country?  (Coastal vs. deep south would be interesting.)  I could ask a lot of questions, and we well know that early indoctrination, lack of advanced education, geography, group-think, and fear of death all play into fundamentalism.  

But it's an interesting read.  The ventromedial prefrontal cortex is the area of the brain that houses openness, curiosity, and flexibility in our belief systems.  Damage it, and apparently you hold on more strongly to your beliefs and react with aggression (and fear) when anyone challenges those beliefs.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: Study finds link between brain damage and fundamentalism
Limited study eh? Well, are they sure it's not the other way around? Are they sure it's not the religious fundamentalism that's causing the brain damage?
(May 13, 2017 at 11:45 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Limited study eh? Well, are they sure it's not the other way around? Are they sure it's not the religious fundamentalism that's causing the brain damage?

Talking to an imaginary friend and relying upon him to help you in need... I don't think that's mentally healthy. Not phsyically healthy either.
Exactly.
Sorry to break the news...but if they run such a scan on me they will find a link between atheism and brain damage.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

A group of Christian fundamentalists talk about this study; it can be found at the Creation Liberty forums: http://creationliberty.com/forum/index.p...sg3366#new

They had interesting things to say, and presented some points I had never considered. I learned some things, and I would recommend watching it when you have the time.  (And yes, I have a bias.)
(May 13, 2017 at 11:15 am)drfuzzy Wrote: Yes. "A new study in the journal Neuropsychologia found that lesions in a particular brain region tend to increase religious fundamentalism."  Vietnam vets who had lesions in the ventromedial prefrontal cortex had more instances of religious fundamentalism.
http://www.psypost.org/2017/05/study-unc...lism-48860

Now, they admit straight away that the study is limited.  (Well, most good ones are, of course.  Too many variables creates havoc.)  I haven't been able to access the actual study, but the three reports that I have read do not indicate whether any research was done on the family history of the injured veterans.  They had to be of the baby-boomer generation, when a greater percentage of Americans were raised in (christian) religious households.  Were they all from the same area of the country?  (Coastal vs. deep south would be interesting.)  I could ask a lot of questions, and we well know that early indoctrination, lack of advanced education, geography, group-think, and fear of death all play into fundamentalism.  

But it's an interesting read.  The ventromedial prefrontal cortex is the area of the brain that houses openness, curiosity, and flexibility in our belief systems.  Damage it, and apparently you hold on more strongly to your beliefs and react with aggression (and fear) when anyone challenges those beliefs.

So "all fundies and zealots have brain damage"?

We knew this already.

Big Grin

Seriously though, I've put this on my list to read later.
Dying to live, living to die.
Over the four years I have been here, I have seen plenty of these studies.

Still, religious people continue to believe in their fairy tales. No surprise there.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
In truth.... there ARE highly intelligent theists out there. Some of the most intelligent people in the world are atheists... but some are theists. And yes it's even possible to get highly intelligent fundies. Very rare... but possible. (Of course the part of them that believes in their fundie beliefs is retarded... but they may be otherwise intelligent. It's crazy how split-brained religious folks can be).

My theory for this is because I think that people believe in religion for emotional rather than rational reasons... and at the end of the day, ultimately, when our rational and emotional side are equally powerful..... the emotional side wins out.

I think this quote sums up for why religious belief exists:

[Image: kant-5-638.jpg?cb=1444641062]
An obvious FRAUD and CHARLATAN like Rev. Pat Robertson is nevertheless smart enough to keep the flock from immolating him.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1889 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  "No born believers" says new study. Gawdzilla Sama 1 1225 November 9, 2017 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Survey study on atheists! atheist_researcher 11 1495 October 31, 2016 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Religious fundamentalism dyresand 12 3200 June 7, 2016 at 11:20 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  The flame between two darknesses: A celebration of reality FebruaryOfReason 10 4598 March 23, 2016 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  correlation between intelligence and atheism Sappho 22 4014 December 10, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Vincent
  I had to link this Manowar 17 3775 September 19, 2015 at 1:13 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Do we need to study all the religions to know that God doesn't exist? Twisted 14 4350 May 9, 2015 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Atheist Fundamentalism genkaus 73 11323 October 17, 2014 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  The transition between faith to no faith. Mystic 25 6617 October 14, 2014 at 6:42 am
Last Post: Whateverist