Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 6:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pentecost Sunday - just reporting in
Pentecost Sunday - just reporting in
Yeah, I'm just sharing.  As most of you know, I still go play organ for a Catholic church.   My budget needs it.  So I'm an atheist sitting at the organ, watching the choir react to whatever the priest is spewing.  
Well, this morning was Pentecost, so the Priest was going on about the "gifts of the Spirit".  Healings, miracles, speaking in tongues, stuff that you usually don't talk about in a Catholic Church.  And this is a young (late 20's) intense, zealous guy.  And he was just ripping into the congregation: "If you would get down on your knees every single day and DEMAND that the Spirit keep his promises, everything in your life would improve!  The Holy Spirit fixes what we cannot!  You would be so filled with love that people would stop you in the supermarket and ask you what your secret was!  We would be healing the sick!  We would be inspiring the world!  We would have so many new members that we would have to build a bigger church!!  And because you do NOT pray, you're not only cheating yourself, you are cheating me as well!  You are depriving me of the gifts and inspiration that you should be giving to your pastor!"  
   Apparently the sheeple in the pews were not having the same thoughts as the atheist.  I was thinking "If you're a priest, (and if this Holy Spirit exists) you would be able to demonstrate those miracles yourself."  I was thinking that he sounded really angry and frustrated.  He apparently wants HIS parish to get the attention of the Pope.  It must be difficult to be a priest, and I'm not even thinking of the celibacy requirement.  To spend your life on your knees and beg god for those super-powers he was promising must be . . . crazy making.
   I walked out with a friend who is a science teacher - very pragmatic, very down-to-earth.  I asked her what she thought - if we pray hard enough, we'll all be doing miracles.  She laughed and said, "No, that's all myth and legend.  What I'm amazed at is that he seems to think it's literal.  I wonder what they teach these boys in seminary."  -- She's one of these cradle-catholics - she goes to Mass because she has always gone to Mass.  She's pretty sure that God exists, but that most of the Bible is silliness - she's not even sold on Jesus' "resurrection".  I like talking to her, she's very sane.  
    She's really one step away from atheism.  I wonder if she will ever take that step.  The priest seems very angry.  I wonder if he will ever wake up.
Happy Sunday to all here at AF.       -- Fuzz
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: Pentecost Sunday - just reporting in
(June 4, 2017 at 2:50 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: Yeah, I'm just sharing.  As most of you know, I still go play organ for a Catholic church.   My budget needs it.  So I'm an atheist sitting at the organ, watching the choir react to whatever the priest is spewing.  
Well, this morning was Pentecost, so the Priest was going on about the "gifts of the Spirit".  Healings, miracles, speaking in tongues, stuff that you usually don't talk about in a Catholic Church.  And this is a young (late 20's) intense, zealous guy.  And he was just ripping into the congregation: "If you would get down on your knees every single day and DEMAND that the Spirit keep his promises, everything in your life would improve!  The Holy Spirit fixes what we cannot!  You would be so filled with love that people would stop you in the supermarket and ask you what your secret was!  We would be healing the sick!  We would be inspiring the world!  We would have so many new members that we would have to build a bigger church!!  And because you do NOT pray, you're not only cheating yourself, you are cheating me as well!  You are depriving me of the gifts and inspiration that you should be giving to your pastor!"  
   Apparently the sheeple in the pews were not having the same thoughts as the atheist.  I was thinking "If you're a priest, (and if this Holy Spirit exists) you would be able to demonstrate those miracles yourself."  I was thinking that he sounded really angry and frustrated.  He apparently wants HIS parish to get the attention of the Pope.  It must be difficult to be a priest, and I'm not even thinking of the celibacy requirement.  To spend your life on your knees and beg god for those super-powers he was promising must be . . . crazy making.
   I walked out with a friend who is a science teacher - very pragmatic, very down-to-earth.  I asked her what she thought - if we pray hard enough, we'll all be doing miracles.  She laughed and said, "No, that's all myth and legend.  What I'm amazed at is that he seems to think it's literal.  I wonder what they teach these boys in seminary."  -- She's one of these cradle-catholics - she goes to Mass because she has always gone to Mass.  She's pretty sure that God exists, but that most of the Bible is silliness - she's not even sold on Jesus' "resurrection".  I like talking to her, she's very sane.  
    She's really one step away from atheism.  I wonder if she will ever take that step.  The priest seems very angry.  I wonder if he will ever wake up.
Happy Sunday to all here at AF.       -- Fuzz
He is "Breaking Pentecostal" !
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Tongues, huh?

Silliness unless done by real pros.

"Demand" that the Holy Spirit keep its promises? Non-believers regularly get criticized for that exact mindset ("God is not a vending machine!" and "You cannot test God" and stuff like that).
Damn! I would lose it if I had to listen to that shit again. My older sister brought her boyfriend one Sunday to church, and while speaking in tongues our pastor grabbed his tongue and wouldn't Let go. Freaked her boyfriend out, and I don't think he came back. Church is a special place where people can act insane and we can blame the "Holy Spirit". Sundays are my favorite days Now, mostly because I don't have to go to church. Im all grown up Smile
I was a born-again christian for many years then I got woke.. and now life is better in so many ways. It's taking me time to see my value and find my voice, but the reward is liberating knowing my path is not dictated or controlled by fear of death and the unknown.  Casting off the shackles of religion is pretty fucking awesome. The beautiful people I've met on this forum have more heart and compassion than any group of people I've been apart of. So back off Jesus and followers, because this bitch is done with Chu.  Shy 

Aaaahhhhh the memories! Panic  Lol
I'm so glad it's behind me.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
Sunday is much like any other day.
OK, what the hell is pentecost??? (quick google) That's really a thing??? Why did it take 50 days and coincide with a jewish holy day? Seems very contrived. 

I thought demanding from a god was a bad thing. What promises? Continued manipulation by a man made fantasy? Apparently that has been granted.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I'm not sure I got pastors getting royally pissed off during sermons even when I believed in God. I doubt people stop any Christians in the supermarket and know they're Christians without having met or heard of them first.

I'm glad I don't waste my Sundays and don't have to feel guilt over not handing over %10 of my check. Which is not biblical anyway.
(June 4, 2017 at 2:50 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: Yeah, I'm just sharing.  As most of you know, I still go play organ for a Catholic church.   My budget needs it.  So I'm an atheist sitting at the organ, watching the choir react to whatever the priest is spewing...

Well you’re either a shite keyboard player or a shite atheist, or both. What you have described here is a red neck church, I'll repeat that,  A Redneck Church. Next time round hit them with something like this:

I mean everyone loves a hoedown.

"A hoedown is a redneck gathering, usually involves shouting catchy phrases like "yee-haw" and "jesus will save us"

There will be a reaction. Make notes, report back.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What they don't teach you in Sunday School LinuxGal 19 1205 September 25, 2023 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Palm Sunday Traditions Dundee 22 1816 April 17, 2020 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  R'uh r'oh, Sunday school teacher impregnates teen vorlon13 57 11279 May 29, 2015 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Need help for a Sunday School class adam c 52 16604 April 3, 2012 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Cyberman