Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puerto Rico votes...
Puerto Rico votes...
...on their relationship with the US: as a state, as a completely independent country, or as they are right now. 

Anybody out in that neck of the world want to weigh in? Is this really going to amount to much? Especially in a republican administration here in the USA? We have to want them, too.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/j...us-economy
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
RE: Puerto Rico votes...
about time for some FALN bombings to energize the voters . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Puerto Rico leave America and join us . You get country that will appreciate you  or at least remember that your part of the country . And we get a warm climate . Win Win
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/amid-...od-n770801

Residents of Puerto Rico voted overwhelmingly Sunday for statehood in a non-binding vote. The turnout was historically low, however — almost eight out of 10 voters did not participate.

As of 7 p.m. ET, the island's election commission (CEE in Spanish) had reported that about 23 percent of the island's eligible voters had cast ballots, or about 500,000 votes. About 97 percent of the votes were for statehood.

Well, then. Back to business.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I'll admit that I am not completely up to date about the situation of Puerto Rico. I do know that it has historically been treated like complete shit by the US government, though. I'm not so sure that it would be such a terrible move on their part to cut their ties to us. Then again, it could help them out much more to become an actual state instead of just a territory. We couldn't ignore them as much then.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
Yeah, I just came across this event on Twitter this morning. Or Facebook. I forget. Just seemed like a big news event. But this is nonbinding, they've held, like, four other ones, and this one had crazy low turnout (which I do find kind of interesting. You wish more people cared).
(June 12, 2017 at 1:57 am)c172 Wrote: Yeah, I just came across this event on Twitter this morning. Or Facebook. I forget. Just seemed like a big news event. But this is nonbinding, they've held, like, four other ones, and this one had crazy low turnout (which I do find kind of interesting. You wish more people cared).

The two opposifiom parties called for a boycot, in large part due to the savage austerity cuts being imposed by the federal government, causing the Puerto Rican economic depression to lengthen and deepen.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
75% of 23% does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling

comes out to less than 18% are deciding for everyone

how well publicized was the election?

why should the results be interpreted other than an overwhelming statement of satisfaction with the way things are now ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

It would be nice to have a state with an official language other than English.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Quote:75% of 23% does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling

Hey if only 23% get off their asses to vote they are well qualified to be 'Murricans.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should Puerto Rico be made a state? Why or why not? Angrboda 36 2833 September 24, 2018 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Florida House Panel votes to arm teachers; Give 1 time $500 bonus for 132 hour course Divinity 30 2266 March 2, 2018 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Switzerland votes on relaxing its citizenship rules account_inactive 0 562 February 12, 2017 at 4:47 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  The UN votes to abolish the death penalty. Jehanne 11 1600 December 28, 2016 at 7:10 am
Last Post: account_inactive