Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Florida House Panel votes to arm teachers; Give 1 time $500 bonus for 132 hour course
Florida House Panel votes to arm teachers; Give 1 time $500 bonus for 132 hour course
http://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics...t-weapons/

Quote:The goal: 10 marshals (teachers trained to carry a gun) in every school, which would equate to 37,000 statewide. The state would cover the costs of background checks, drug testing, psychological exams and 132 hours of training. The bill does provide a one-time $500 stipend for those who volunteer to have a gun.

Woo boy!  $500, and they get to risk their lives to shoot a mass shooter in the event of an attack.  What a sweet deal that one time $500 bonus is.  

And of course they probably won't even provide the gun for the teachers, so that $500 bonus will be going toward a new glock.  Funny enough I think that's about what they sell for. $500.

At least they included a requirement for psychological exams.  Gee wonder why they don't do this to all people who just want to own a gun.
"Tradition" is just a word people use to make themselves feel better about being an asshole.
RE: Florida House Panel votes to arm teachers; Give 1 time $500 bonus for 132 hour course
Welfare for the firearms industry IMO.

It's a bad bad idea but at least they're doing training.
RE: Florida House Panel votes to arm teachers; Give 1 time $500 bonus for 132 hour course
(February 28, 2018 at 1:00 pm)Divinity Wrote: http://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics...t-weapons/

Quote:The goal: 10 marshals (teachers trained to carry a gun) in every school, which would equate to 37,000 statewide. The state would cover the costs of background checks, drug testing, psychological exams and 132 hours of training. The bill does provide a one-time $500 stipend for those who volunteer to have a gun.

Woo boy!  $500, and they get to risk their lives to shoot a mass shooter in the event of an attack.  What a sweet deal that one time $500 bonus is.  

And of course they probably won't even provide the gun for the teachers, so that $500 bonus will be going toward a new glock.  Funny enough I think that's about what they sell for. $500.

At least they included a requirement for psychological exams.  Gee wonder why they don't do this to all people who just want to own a gun.
Place your bets now on how long it will take for one of these hired guns to shoot one the students their protecting . Then what will they say that  all the students need to be armed to protect them from the guards ?
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

$500 to purchase a kit to fend off the next asshole with an ar-15?  LOL, pass.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Teachers don't need guns, they should be armed with nukes. What if NK sends a nuke their way? Do you want them to be soft-targets and have no way of defending themselves or the students?

Raise your voices, demand nukes for every murica born individual-as-in-one-man-militia, nukes for all!!!!
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

This is ridiculous.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(February 28, 2018 at 1:46 pm)Khemikal Wrote: $500 to purchase a kit to fend off the next asshole with an ar-15?  LOL, pass.

Not it.

I have to wonder what percentage of people trained in combat arms (military, police, etc) - particularly those who have seen the elephant - think this is a good idea.
(February 28, 2018 at 2:18 pm)Cathooloo Wrote:
(February 28, 2018 at 1:46 pm)Khemikal Wrote: $500 to purchase a kit to fend off the next asshole with an ar-15?  LOL, pass.

Not it.

I have to wonder what percentage of people trained in combat arms (military, police, etc) - particularly those who have seen the elephant - think this is a good idea.

Can't speak to that, but I've read that cops in large cities hit what they shoot at about 18% of the time.   Let's assume - in the fantasy world where people meant to teach geography are expected to be bodyguards - that these teachers turn out to be as accurate as professional, intensely trained cops.  82% of the shots they fire are going to go wild. 

What a mind-numbingly stupid plan this is. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 28, 2018 at 2:34 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(February 28, 2018 at 2:18 pm)Cathooloo Wrote: Not it.

Can't speak to that, but I've read that cops in large cities hit what they shoot at about 18% of the time.   Let's assume - in the fantasy world where people meant to teach geography are expected to be bodyguards - that these teachers turn out to be as accurate as professional, intensely trained cops.  82% of the shots they fire are going to go wild. 

What a mind-numbingly stupid plan this is. 

Boru

The weird thing with the arming teacher thing, is how happy everybody is to speak on behalf of all teachers.  There are likely plenty of teachers who are hunters/national guard/veterans/gun enthusiasts who would like to take this responsibility.  And unlike Joe the security guard, these people have already shown a willingness to die for the kids.  

But in the end, it's about assessing the risk.  Is the risk of a school mass shooting is so high, that you think it justifies arming all the teachers?  I don't think so.  The problem with arming teachers, is we're introducing 100,000+ guns into schools that if we left them as are would have been fine with 0.

If we had multiple daily school mass shootings like columbine/park, I'd want a ton of guns in the schools until we could confidently say criminals could not access guns.  

But instead we have one every couple years in this mold.  Probably better to just try and beef up gun laws a bit, and accept some kids getting shot as the way things go.
Not the smartest idea ever but about all one can expect from shitheaded republicunts who are owned by the NRA.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/georgia...hers-safe/

Quote:Georgia teen nails NRA after educator opens fire in their classroom: ‘I dare you to tell me arming teachers is safe’

Quote:A student who was in the classroom of a Georgia high school where a teacher opened fire in her classroom called out the National Rifle Association for backing plans that would arm teachers.

“My favorite teacher at Dalton high school just blockaded his door and proceeded to shoot,” the student, identified as Chondi on Twitter, wrote. “We had to run out The back of the school in the rain. Students were being trampled and screaming.”

Honestly, is there anything stupider than a southern gun nut?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Florida teacher faces investigation for playing Disney movie zebo-the-fat 5 553 May 17, 2023 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  House Bill 6720 Jehanne 19 2559 December 16, 2022 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Hey Florida people!!!! arewethereyet 22 1568 September 29, 2022 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  KelTech to Help Arm Ukranians onlinebiker 9 610 March 23, 2022 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Florida humanist gives first secular invocation at Brevard County brewer 4 278 February 1, 2021 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Stage set for impeachment after Pence dismisses House call to invoke 25th Am. WinterHold 26 994 January 15, 2021 at 6:24 am
  Burning down the House Brian37 12 1166 December 11, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  GSA finally give in. Brian37 33 2374 November 28, 2020 at 6:54 am
  Panel of Karens pulls a Karen on being a karen tackattack 21 1045 August 7, 2020 at 8:52 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  Florida(wo)man. Gawdzilla Sama 0 162 July 30, 2020 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama