Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do we as a society combat ignorance?
How do we as a society combat ignorance?
I think many people do not realize that they are blatantly ignorant. However, ignorance is very dangerous in my personal opinion. 

Is there really a sure-fire way to combat this?

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
RE: How do we as a society combat ignorance?
Wise up?
"Education" camps.

Smile
Dying to live, living to die.
Remaining informed is probably the most assured way.

However, with the phone zombies we have infecting this planet......
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(June 13, 2017 at 5:43 pm)It_Was_me Wrote: I think many people do not realize that they are blatantly ignorant. However, ignorance is very dangerous in my personal opinion. 

Is there a specific society that's unusually ignorant?  Are there a specific group of topics that people should be more aware of?

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I would imagine widespread, well funded public education including college level would do it.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(June 13, 2017 at 6:06 pm)paulpablo Wrote:
(June 13, 2017 at 5:43 pm)It_Was_me Wrote: I think many people do not realize that they are blatantly ignorant. However, ignorance is very dangerous in my personal opinion. 

Is there a specific society that's unusually ignorant?  Are there a specific group of topics that people should be more aware of?

Human.
Dying to live, living to die.
Inform people that educating themselves is a crime, and watch them learn like crazy.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Catholic nuns with heavy wooden rulers and nasty tempers?

If the parent(s) don't buy in and get involved at an early age there is not much hope.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
With an anti-ignorance gun.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What (in your society) is a 'real man'? FrustratedFool 87 4058 October 27, 2023 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: energizer bunny
  Are we becoming a masked society? Foxaèr 21 779 June 24, 2020 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Have "likes" and "kudos" polarized our society? CapnAwesome 35 4310 January 4, 2018 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  How Social Media Is Dumbing Down Our Society Foxaèr 5 2199 July 17, 2017 at 10:31 am
Last Post: Aroura
  If you could enact laws into action to change society Foxaèr 58 14739 May 29, 2017 at 6:05 am
Last Post: Sal
  Poll - Christianity is a Ridiculous Compliation of Outdated Myths Derived from Pure Ignorance? RonaldReagansGhost666 1 1513 April 18, 2013 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Best example of medieval ignorance? Something completely different 7 3777 October 1, 2012 at 12:36 am
Last Post: Angrboda
Question Respect in the face of ignorance? Napoléon 35 9690 September 10, 2011 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: bozo