Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have "likes" and "kudos" polarized our society?
Have "likes" and "kudos" polarized our society?
Obviously I'm not the first one with this idea, but is this common social media format part of what's responsible for the divided in our society?

You join a social group, and get addicted to the stimuli of people liking your stuff. Then the more liberal or conservative or atheist or religious or whatever your little niche group is, the more likes you get, which socially engineers your opinions to line up that way also. Hence everybody ends up living in political or religious bubbles because of basically getting stuck in a loop of positive feedback.

The more I've thought about it, I think this is probably the number one reason that our society is so divided right now, people don't even want to venture outside of their normal comfort zone because there are no "likes" to be had for them out there.

Also I've noticed that on here one of the easiest ways to get kudos is attacking someone who co mes in with an opposing opinion. I'm sure it's the same on every platform. This spills over to real life, you get conditioned to attack opposing opinions.

Are the machines programming us?

Thoughtful replies appreciated.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
RE: Have "likes" and "kudos" polarized our society?
We've always been a species that thrives on the acceptance of others. Likes and kudos are likely nothing more than an extension of that. People have always conformed to their in-groups.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
I usually put kudos in for the effort of a well written post, or as a way to saving me the time to post that I agree with said post. Or I found it fun.

In Mafia, I usually kudos people when I want to change their opinion of me. Usually when I am scum to get town cred. Its a thing.
Give me a kudos and I'll answer the question. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 2, 2018 at 12:40 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: Obviously I'm not the first one with this idea, but is this common social media format part of what's responsible for the divided in our society?

You join a social group, and get addicted to the stimuli of people liking your stuff. Then the more liberal or conservative or atheist or religious or whatever your little niche group is, the more likes you get, which socially engineers your opinions to line up that way also. Hence everybody ends up living in political or religious bubbles because of basically getting stuck in a loop of positive feedback.

The more I've thought about it, I think this is probably the number one reason that our society is so divided right now, people don't even want to venture outside of their normal comfort zone because there are no "likes" to be had for them out there.

Also I've noticed that on here one of the easiest ways to get kudos is attacking someone who co mes in with an opposing opinion.  I'm sure it's the same on every platform. This spills over to real life, you get conditioned to attack opposing opinions.

Are the machines programming us?

Thoughtful replies appreciated.

While I'm sure that you can get into the nuances and the subject is a lot more complicated, I'd basically agree.  It seems to me, that since social media, there appears to be a lot more polarization within society.  I think that it makes your fringe groups stronger and louder.  It also does seem like attacking a person, as well as fake news (or real news, but blowing it out of context and out of proportion) is much more acceptable.

While there are benefits of social media, I don't know that overall, it will be a good thing for society.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
It's not politics or ideology, but I've loosely followed 'jokey' twitter for around 7 years. And in the beginning, everybody was doing their own thing. But slowly, as people recognized which formats/topics/audiences/etc were getting the most likes/retweets/follows, people began to homogenize to the point that now most accounts are indistinguishable.

I think a secondary factor, is that the standard practice is to mimic success rather than create it. And really that's just practical in our times. If you have the 2nd best widget making method in the whole world, you're behind only the guy with the 1st best, and the 200,000,000 people who watched his youtube tutorial on widget making.

I was thinking how this relates to music as well. The bands with staying power almost always have a lead singer with a unique voice. Because that's the hardest thing to replicate. Steven Tyler, Billy Corgan, Geddy Lee, Axl Rose, Eddie Vedder, Springstein, etc... The commonality is that their 'sound' is tied to their voices, and their voices just aren't easily mimic'ed.

Contrast with the turnover in say rap music. Or female pop. Or whatever that hipster banjo pop/rock stuff is. You're only hope is to use your brief period in the limelight to Kardashian your way into pop culture, because artistically, they've already got 100 new you's being cranked out of the machine. The ability to manufacture what people want, is pretty neat/scary.

I think this trend certainly applies to your analysis on forum sameness and behavior rewards as well.
Eh, echo chambers have existed long before the gamification of social media.
Another red-letter day when I agree with RR.

[Image: cell_phone_3.jpg]

It is an addiction for many and actual face-to-face communication is becoming passe.
What's interesting about this forum environment, is that there isn't really any practical purpose to want to collect kudos/rep. There isn't a chance to go viral. And with such a small community, it's not like someone is going to become famous in any way because they got 10 kudos on a post, or hit 50 rep. Everybody is a pretty known commodity.

In this specific situation, I think maybe the kudos/rep is a loose reflection of the responses one's posts receives, which is where the echo chamber effect takes place. So a kudos is a substitute for "I agree with Kevin" rather than posting "I agree with Kevin." So it serves as shorthand more than anything? But what it's shorthand for is the stuff about positive feedback.
I don’t know. It’s interesting to think about, though.

Could it be that humans have always been influenced this way by approval, but now it’s logged by social media? Maybe it has always been this way, but now it’s just easier to keep track of because we have the internet to make it visible. Also, before we had to develop social skills that allowed us to interpret feedback through face expression, verbal communication, etc. Now a kudos or a like sits there and can be interpreted as anything.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What (in your society) is a 'real man'? FrustratedFool 87 4101 October 27, 2023 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: energizer bunny
  How many pages of "Kudos" do you have? Foxaèr 31 1394 December 17, 2020 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Are we becoming a masked society? Foxaèr 21 789 June 24, 2020 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Let's play a kudos game called "the creationist 15" ErGingerbreadMandude 5 882 October 12, 2017 at 6:33 am
Last Post: chimp3
  How Social Media Is Dumbing Down Our Society Foxaèr 5 2216 July 17, 2017 at 10:31 am
Last Post: Aroura
  How do we as a society combat ignorance? NuclearEnergy 14 3465 June 13, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  If you could enact laws into action to change society Foxaèr 58 14762 May 29, 2017 at 6:05 am
Last Post: Sal
  Have our lizard people overlords gotten lazy, or arrogant? CapnAwesome 5 1307 March 19, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Kudos Excited Penguin 81 5930 July 17, 2016 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  The Official Kudos Page Count Foxaèr 137 12107 April 21, 2016 at 10:07 am
Last Post: vorlon13