Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conservative Atheism
Conservative Atheism
I posted a comment in another thread and Whateverist asked me a few questions:

I did vote for Donald Trump, had to hold my nose the whole time, but i got it done.
Trump is not what conservatives seek in a representative, he does have a few qualities though.
- He is not a professional politician        
- He has real life business experience
- USA first, Pro USA attitude over all, Military, rework foreign trade deals and other policies to better help business in the USA.
- His stance on immigration is also popular among conservatives, deport illegals, keep people from terrorist hot spots out.
- Pro Tax cut
I may think of more later.
I do not think I have come across the 6 moral foundations, but i have seen similar lists.
1) Care/harm: This foundation is related to our long evolution as mammals with attachment systems and an ability to feel (and dislike) the pain of others. It underlies virtues of kindness, gentleness, and nurturance.

Is this referring to empathy?  I try to treat people how I would like to be treated.

2) Fairness/cheating: This foundation is related to the evolutionary process of reciprocal altruism. It generates ideas of justice, rights, and autonomy.

[Note: In our original conception, Fairness included concerns about equality, which are more strongly endorsed by political liberals. However, as we reformulated the theory in 2011 based on new data, we emphasize proportionality, which is endorsed by everyone, but is more strongly endorsed by conservatives]

I think this means that laws should be applied equally to all people regardless of our differences.  If that is the core meaning of #2 then I believe in that statement. 

3) Loyalty/betrayal: This foundation is related to our long history as tribal creatures able to form shifting coalitions. It underlies virtues of patriotism and self-sacrifice for the group. It is active anytime people feel that it's "one for all, and all for one."

I think loyalty is a crucial part of ones character, you can always tell who your true friends are when things go to hell.

4) Authority/subversion: This foundation was shaped by our long primate history of hierarchical social interactions. It underlies virtues of leadership and followership, including deference to legitimate authority and respect for traditions.

I am comfortable as a follower when the person leading is competent.  I have moved my self into leadership positions when I feel i am the best person for a job.  Rule by committee can be done but does not lend itself to quick decision making.   

5) Sanctity/degradation: This foundation was shaped by the psychology of disgust and contamination. It underlies religious notions of striving to live in an elevated, less carnal, more noble way. It underlies the widespread idea that the body is a temple which can be desecrated by immoral activities and contaminants (an idea not unique to religious traditions).  

We think there are several other very good candidates for "foundationhood," especially:

I typically follow the rules and guidelines of society, and like society my values have changed over the years.  Some things i do not adhere to , but they do not harm anyone.
6) Liberty/oppression: This foundation is about the feelings of reactance and resentment people feel toward those who dominate them and restrict their liberty. Its intuitions are often in tension with those of the authority foundation. The hatred of bullies and dominators motivates people to come together, in solidarity, to oppose or take down the oppressor. We report some preliminary work on this potential foundation in [url=http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0042366][/url], on the psychology of libertarianism and liberty.

Part of this ties into #4 I have no problem being led by a competent leader.  If rules are fairly enforced than I'll tolerate short term incompetence.  I have been in situations where I have removed myself from the equation because of bad leadership with no way to rectify.  I have also helped similar situations by aiding in the removal of incompetent leaders, or obstructions.

If i were to put them in order for how i live my life it would be:

RE: Conservative Atheism
USA! USA!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I could see a split 'pub party, RINOs go their own way, and the 'true believers' stay with what they have. Doctrinally, the RINO branch would explore/advocate social liberalism and strict constraints on federal spending and the size of the federal government. The other side of the split would hew more socially conservative and have even more draconian views on spending and the size of the government.

In this thought experiment, the Dems will have self-consigned themselves to the trash heap of history while a vigorous yet infinitesimal remainder hangs around for decades maintaining they are still 'winning' as it is their entitlement, yet they will have a total of 0.0 seats in any legislative body.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(June 16, 2017 at 5:56 pm)Alex K Wrote: USA! USA!

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Why are we cheering for 1980's olympic hockey?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(June 16, 2017 at 5:49 pm)Hammok Man Wrote: I posted a comment in another thread and Whateverist asked me a few questions:

I did vote for Donald Trump, had to hold my nose the whole time, but i got it done.
Trump is not what conservatives seek in a representative, he does have a few qualities though.
- He is not a professional politician        
- He has real life business experience
- USA first, Pro USA attitude over all, Military, rework foreign trade deals and other policies to better help business in the USA.
- His stance on immigration is also popular among conservatives, deport illegals, keep people from terrorist hot spots out.
- Pro Tax cut
I may think of more later.
I do not think I have come across the 6 moral foundations, but i have seen similar lists.
1) Care/harm: This foundation is related to our long evolution as mammals with attachment systems and an ability to feel (and dislike) the pain of others. It underlies virtues of kindness, gentleness, and nurturance.

Is this referring to empathy?  I try to treat people how I would like to be treated.

2) Fairness/cheating: This foundation is related to the evolutionary process of reciprocal altruism. It generates ideas of justice, rights, and autonomy.

[Note: In our original conception, Fairness included concerns about equality, which are more strongly endorsed by political liberals. However, as we reformulated the theory in 2011 based on new data, we emphasize proportionality, which is endorsed by everyone, but is more strongly endorsed by conservatives]

I think this means that laws should be applied equally to all people regardless of our differences.  If that is the core meaning of #2 then I believe in that statement. 

3) Loyalty/betrayal: This foundation is related to our long history as tribal creatures able to form shifting coalitions. It underlies virtues of patriotism and self-sacrifice for the group. It is active anytime people feel that it's "one for all, and all for one."

I think loyalty is a crucial part of ones character, you can always tell who your true friends are when things go to hell.

4) Authority/subversion: This foundation was shaped by our long primate history of hierarchical social interactions. It underlies virtues of leadership and followership, including deference to legitimate authority and respect for traditions.

I am comfortable as a follower when the person leading is competent.  I have moved my self into leadership positions when I feel i am the best person for a job.  Rule by committee can be done but does not lend itself to quick decision making.   

5) Sanctity/degradation: This foundation was shaped by the psychology of disgust and contamination. It underlies religious notions of striving to live in an elevated, less carnal, more noble way. It underlies the widespread idea that the body is a temple which can be desecrated by immoral activities and contaminants (an idea not unique to religious traditions).  

We think there are several other very good candidates for "foundationhood," especially:

I typically follow the rules and guidelines of society, and like society my values have changed over the years.  Some things i do not adhere to , but they do not harm anyone.
6) Liberty/oppression: This foundation is about the feelings of reactance and resentment people feel toward those who dominate them and restrict their liberty. Its intuitions are often in tension with those of the authority foundation. The hatred of bullies and dominators motivates people to come together, in solidarity, to oppose or take down the oppressor. We report some preliminary work on this potential foundation in [url=http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0042366][/url], on the psychology of libertarianism and liberty.

Part of this ties into #4 I have no problem being led by a competent leader.  If rules are fairly enforced than I'll tolerate short term incompetence.  I have been in situations where I have removed myself from the equation because of bad leadership with no way to rectify.  I have also helped similar situations by aiding in the removal of incompetent leaders, or obstructions.

If i were to put them in order for how i live my life it would be:

The title of your thread suggests there is something conservative about your atheism. Do you mean you are simply a politically conservative atheist or is your lack of belief in any deity different than a liberals lack of belief in any deity?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Quote:He is not a professional politician     

Yeah, the motherfucker proves that every day.
Quote:He is not a professional politician  

That's like saying the person operating on you is not a doctor is a plus

Quote:He has real life business experience

Which is like saying ones skills as operator at a  McDonalds drive through. Is a skill that allows you to run a nuclear power station .

Quote: USA first, Pro USA attitude over all, Military, rework foreign trade deals and other policies to better help business in the USA.

By undermining America's reputation worldwide . Pissing off your allies . And running reckless policies that increase global instability and undermines the free world. While pushing a domestic agenda that turns members of your own government and populous against you.

Quote:His stance on immigration is also popular among conservatives, deport illegals, keep people from terrorist hot spots out.

Splitting up families . Punishing hard working people fleeing conditions America helped create through a bigoted and ultimately futile policy . That even he doesn't seem to fully understand . By a fluke of geography .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

I'll ignore your stance toward Trump for now.

(June 16, 2017 at 5:49 pm)Hammok Man Wrote: I posted a comment in another thread and Whateverist asked me a few questions:

This one puzzles me. Most conservatives seem to be against abortion and against leaving the choice to the woman who is carrying the fetus. But most conservatives seem to oppose free or reduced school lunches for the poor. Is there a reason why the unborn seem more deserving of care to conservatives than those already born?

(June 16, 2017 at 5:49 pm)Hammok Man Wrote:  

Proportionality needs some unpacking. Do you find no application for equality where proportionality doesn't do as well? For example, shouldn't the consequences handed out by the justice system apply absolutely equally to all regardless of wealth, education, race, age and so on? Surely there is no sense in which the amount of leniency one receives should be proportional to ones level of education, right?

(June 16, 2017 at 5:49 pm)Hammok Man Wrote: 3) Loyalty/betrayal: This foundation is related to our long history as tribal creatures able to form shifting coalitions. It underlies virtues of patriotism and self-sacrifice for the group. It is active anytime people feel that it's "one for all, and all for one."

But at what level is loyalty best applied? Why is the nation state privileged over others? I feel it much more strongly toward family, especially my mate. I also feel it in relationship to work and the people I work with. But neighborhood, city, state, hemisphere .. why nation? Why not work toward developing fellow feeling toward people everywhere? My idea of national patriotism is pride when my country comports itself as a good citizen in the world of nation states.

(June 16, 2017 at 5:49 pm)Hammok Man Wrote:

This is probably the foundation which I hold in the lowest esteem. I would never have survived in the military.

(June 16, 2017 at 5:49 pm)Hammok Man Wrote: 5) Sanctity/degradation: This foundation was shaped by the psychology of disgust and contamination. It underlies religious notions of striving to live in an elevated, less carnal, more noble way. It underlies the widespread idea that the body is a temple which can be desecrated by immoral activities and contaminants (an idea not unique to religious traditions).  

I think we are simpatico here. I am happy enough to endorse and support group norms and to enforce them through a system of society chosen laws. So I too am a rule follower by and large. But I would describe my approach to the vehicle code as: 1) no one gets hurt; 2) I don't attract any citations; 3) I do whatever pleases me so long as I don't violate 1 or 2.

(June 16, 2017 at 5:49 pm)Hammok Man Wrote: 6) Liberty/oppression: This foundation is about the feelings of reactance and resentment people feel toward those who dominate them and restrict their liberty. Its intuitions are often in tension with those of the authority foundation. The hatred of bullies and dominators motivates people to come together, in solidarity, to oppose or take down the oppressor. We report some preliminary work on this potential foundation in [url=http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0042366][/url], on the psychology of libertarianism and liberty.

I have no objection to being led by politicians who have been legally elected. Sadly it isn't up to me to determine if the leader is competent. Really, what does my finding them competent even mean apart from agreeing with the candidate's approach?

Nonetheless it is perfectly rational and important to oppose policy one finds reprehensible. I do it too.

I'm not sure how I'd rank them but I'm being called to dinner so later for that.
America First worked so well in the 1930s.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27084 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12453 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12125 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10467 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  is there anyone else who has beliefs that are both conservative and liberal? leodeo 15 5611 March 7, 2014 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Bittersmart
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12001 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38057 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack