Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taming A Wild Bunny?
Taming A Wild Bunny?
There's this somewhat friendly rabbit that bounces around our yard, though he'll only let you get within a few feet of him at most. I was wondering, is there any way that I could make the rabbit friendly enough so that he'd let me pet him at least? I don't want to capture him, I just want him to warm up to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfImBTD7c3s

RE: Taming A Wild Bunny?
Not a good idea. Don't try to touch a wild animal.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
Rabbits are infamous for dying from anxiety or terror. Wild Rabbits easily will have significantly more stress hormones pulsing through their body than a domesticate rabbit. I would think those two statements means "it's a hopping pile of stress".

The act of taming such a critter incurs risk of death to the organism from stress. Even a domesticated one would have to be handled gently.

Another incident that comes to mind was a video wherein a baby bunny was released by some family in Texas - it took a few hops and a hawk got it. Obviously the child and mother (humans) were overtly upset, although the father started laughing from the sheer absurdity of the matter.

You're playing with fire. Continue leaving food out for it if you'd like, but don't try approaching it (thus consuming its attention from actual predators).

Rabbits are... fragile.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
As a fellow rabbit, I must say that unless they are familiar with humans at a very young age, their instincts will not allow it.

Pam, at her work, has a cat and her 5 kittens. They are feral but everyone brings food in to feed them.
Pam gets in early, so when she gets their breakfast, there's 5 little faces waiting for her at the main building front glass doors.... Cuteness overload!
But, 6 months later, if you try to pick one up, they still hiss and fight for their life. Even the mother attacked one of the regulars who feeds her babies when she picked one up.

Sadly, these will eventually have to be put down because the company boss said they have to go.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(June 17, 2017 at 8:24 pm)ignoramus Wrote: As a fellow rabbit, I must say that unless they are familiar with humans at a very young age, their instincts will not allow it.

Pam, at her work, has a cat and her 5 kittens. They are feral but everyone brings food in to feed them.
Pam gets in early, so when she gets their breakfast, there's 5 little faces waiting for her at the main building front glass doors.... Cuteness overload!
But, 6 months later, if you try to pick one up, they still hiss and fight for their life. Even the mother attacked one of the regulars who feeds her babies when she picked one up.

Sadly, these will eventually have to be put down because the company boss said they have to go.

The rabbit looks like a juvenile though, and is already almost comfortable being around people. The other ones all hop away, but this one seems different. That's why I was asking if it'd be possible to tame this little guy.
Rabbit tastes good. Catch it and eat it for dinner.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Be careful......

(June 17, 2017 at 8:33 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: Rabbit tastes good.  Catch it and eat it for dinner.

Angry

Maybe another rabbit, but not this one.
Don't do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxFfxTZA6ao
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

leave the bunny alone
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  That Cadbury Bunny no one 14 1276 February 29, 2020 at 7:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Happy Birthday energizer bunny brewer 18 1377 June 25, 2018 at 1:37 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Happy Birthday energizer bunny! brewer 10 2460 June 25, 2017 at 12:57 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  Bunny Jesus says Mystical 27 2621 April 22, 2017 at 3:52 am
Last Post: Mystical
  So, the driver gets eaten by wild boars or dropped in boiling oil ?? vorlon13 12 1501 September 3, 2016 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Happy Birthday energizer bunny! brewer 9 1750 June 23, 2016 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  For the many members of the AF.org Rabbit & Bunny club. Whateverist 19 3925 February 21, 2015 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  To the Bunny Club BrokenQuill92 1 783 January 30, 2014 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD
  Important Bunny News Mystical 10 4462 July 24, 2013 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Tonus