Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist Forums Recipe Book
Atheist Forums Recipe Book
The title is self-explanatory. You cooked something that turned out great? Share that shit here.

Recently, I made homemade baked beans with my nephew. We grubbed the shit out of it. Here's the sort of messy recipe.

Ingredients: 4 servings

1/2 tablespoon whole grain dijon mustard

2 tablespoons molasses

1 Vidalia onion, chopped small

2 Tablespoons tomato paste

1 tablespoon olive oil

Salt and pepper to taste

1/2 cup water

1 can pinto beans = 1-1/2 cups or 12 ounces. Drain and rinse.

2 tablespoons light brown sugar

Instructions:

Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil (vegetable oil is fine) in a small pot. Put the onion in the pot and then cook until it's soft. Add the tomato paste and season with a little salt and pepper. Stir it all together until it's hot. Add the molasses, sugar and mustard, stir untl it's hot. Finally, add the beans with a half a cup of water. Cover and cook on medium heatish, stirring occasionally for about 11 to 13 minutes or the sauce is thickened.

Every Christmas so far, Tibs and I have had a cookie-making party. Everyone gets to bring home some cookies to share with neighbors and friends. This is everyone's favorite.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/11024/joeys...r-cookies/
RE: Atheist Forums Recipe Book
I am flat out making those beans soon. Had some at a party recently which were the best thing there. Your recipe looks as though it might produce something like that. Thanks!
No problem. I'm never going to eat canned baked beans again.
I'm sure I've posted this before, but it happens to be really good, so it bears repeating:

Citrus Sweet Potatoes

Gather up the following items: Sweet potatoes or yams, oranges (I use blood oranges, but choose your own), turbinado sugar or honey, a good, sharp knife, and a baking dish.

Peel then cut the spuds into thickish slices, 1/2" or so. Cover the bottom of the baking dish with them. Do NOT peel the oranges, just slice them thin. Really thin. Layer the oranges over the potatoes. Sprinkle some sugar or drizzle some honey over the oranges. Repeat the process until you're at the top of the baking dish. Try to finish with a layer of oranges on top, but don't go nuts if you don't. Cover the dish and leave it in a medium-hot oven until the potatoes are tender, but not mushy. Serve along with Shelly's awesome-sounding beans.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
[Image: 2131510773_1d37cef986_z.jpg]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

OOOH! I shall participate.

Bomb Ass Balsamic Vinaigrette:

3 Tbsp EVOO
2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
2 tsp Local Honey
2 tsp Deli Mustard
2 tsp Dried Basil
Kosher Salt/Ground Pepper to taste

Mix and shake, makes about 4 servings. Never use store bought dressing again! (also, don't store in the fridge, store bought vinagrettes have vegetable oil in them and don't coagulate, olive oil will coagulate)
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
My mom when I was growing up used to make a very simple bean and beef chili very spicy. I have never been able to replicate it as an adult, I wish I had been attentive enough to ask her, but even in her old age, not even she would have remembered, not because of mental illness or mental defect, but she simply stopped making in after I moved out because she didn't have to do it anymore.

The beans and beef are obvious, but I think she simply bought some brand of pre-packaged chili mix. Boy do I wish I could remember, she made the best chili.
heh, couldn't have come at a better time. My sister in the US just emailed me the following recipe. She wants me to try it right away and get back to her (although where the fuck I'm supposed to get lemons in the dead of winter, she doesn't say).

Lemon-Mint Sorbet

16 oz fresh lemon juice
12 oz water
16 oz white sugar
1 oz of lemon zest
6 mint leaves
8 oz fizzy lemonade

Put everything except the lemonade into a pot, boil it, then simmer for 3-5 minutes. Let it cool until you can stick your finger in it without shrieking, then strain it and whisk in the lemonade. Pour it into a glass or metal dish big enough to hold it, then freeze it for 2-3 hours (she says be sure to give it a stir every 30 minutes or so, or it tends to separate).

More of a summer time treat, I think, but it sounds good.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 25, 2017 at 1:57 pm)Brian37 Wrote: My mom when I was growing up used to make a very simple bean and beef chili very spicy. I have never been able to replicate it as an adult, I wish I had been attentive enough to ask her, but even in her old age, not even she would have remembered, not because of mental illness or mental defect, but she simply stopped making in after I moved out because she didn't have to do it anymore.

The beans and beef are obvious, but I think she simply bought some brand of pre-packaged chili mix. Boy do I wish I could remember, she made the best chili.

I think McCormick is a pretty prominent mix. Maybe try it and see if it does the trick?
I don't even have a name for this one but basically you take a shell steak ( a/k/a NY strip steak ) about 3/4 of an inch thick and egg it and bread it.  Then saute in olive oil with some garlic for 7 minutes per side on medium heat and then eat it with whatever side you like and a French or Italian dry red wine.

(Grandma taught me this but I can't remember the name.)

Also, there is Jamaican steak.

This is a flank steak or top sirloin.

The trick here is the marinade.

1/2 cup orange juice
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tbsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste

I make the marinade up in the late morning and let the steak sit in it for 5-6 hours, turning occasionally.

Then grill for 5-6 minutes per side ( I always pour the excess marinade over the steak while grilling) and serve.

My wife loves them both and vegans miles away jump off buildings!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  De-Pluralize A Film, Book, etc BrianSoddingBoru4 12 1092 September 18, 2022 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Recipe: Not Sure Where to Put This ABQ505 2 290 December 10, 2021 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: ABQ505
  The last book you read zwanzig 27 1708 October 18, 2021 at 9:45 am
Last Post: brewer
  Ostrich Egg Omelette Recipe South African Style WinterHold 20 1280 January 10, 2021 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Other forums you belong to... arewethereyet 9 838 June 8, 2020 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Other forums just aren't the same Violet 18 1397 May 3, 2020 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Atheist Forums Accent Tag! Round 2 Napoléon 845 123092 October 1, 2018 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  What's the funniest trolling you have seen on these forums? Garth 18 3209 March 23, 2018 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Atheist and Christian Forums vulcanlogician 43 4766 January 4, 2018 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Dead atheist forums... erealmz 34 4810 November 16, 2017 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Sal