Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist and Christian Forums
Atheist and Christian Forums
Hey guys, I know Lutrinae posted about Christian forums a while back. I have tried opening accounts in two forums, one of which I didn't even bother posting in because of the "scene" there. Anyway, in both of the forums, nonbelievers were not allowed to post in the main areas (where the Christians chiefly posted). Lo and behold, the main areas were rife with unsubstantiated claims. 

I hated this dynamic in the forums. It's as if the whole thing was set up to ensure confirmation bias. Seeing how anyone of any belief system can post here, it struck me as being a bit cowardly. But then again, I can see the forums being more about mutual support than debate. But still...

Does anyone know of any Christian forums where open debate is allowed? I plan on being super respectful, but at the same time I want to be able to post in the whole forum as an atheist. I have had plenty of nice discussions with theists  here, but I also would like to visit them in their home court to see if the conversations pan out differently.

Can anyone suggest a Christian forum that meets the above criteria?

And, while we're at it, are there any other atheist forums that are worthwhile? I really like this one. Any others that you can think of that are good?
RE: Atheist and Christian Forums
No.

In general they don't like letting reality intrude into their fantasy land.
I was painful to even see their masochistic mood in their posts. I won't visit that place even if I get payed.
The Thinking Atheist is pretty good.  Much cross-pollination between here and there.
I have absolutely no desire to join - let alone post in - a Christian forum.  Why would I?  I'm not (as you may have guessed) a Christian.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Because exposing one's own arguments to criticism is a good thing. That's one of my motivations anyway.
You can get that on atheist fora, I'm sure.  Plus, I'm not entirely sanguine about the value of criticism you're likely to get from Christians in a Christian forum.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Yeah, that's one of my concerns, too. I'm confident that there must be a few critical thinkers on such forums, however sparse.
I tried joining the forums at William Craig's website but it was really awful. You could be openly atheist at least but people were really petty and resentful as well as stupid and uninteresting.

My reason for joining was my interest in ecumenicism, but beyond xtianity. It sure looks like the world we do and will be living is going to remain diverse in its religious practices. So i'm interested in seeing how much tolerance and mutual respect might be possible. You can find a handful of religious people who are up for this but the great majority in the US and every fundamentalist faction of every belief (and nonbeleif) system are hopelessly boorish in their ability to relate to people who are not part of their echo chamber.

I think you have a similar bent, Vulcanlad. Good luck to you. For me I'm interested in the discussion but only with those capable and interested in having it, i.e. I'm not having it.
(December 31, 2017 at 7:02 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: Because exposing one's own arguments to criticism is a good thing. That's one of my motivations anyway.

The trouble with religitards is that they think such exposure is strictly a one way street.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Other forums you belong to... arewethereyet 9 838 June 8, 2020 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Other forums just aren't the same Violet 18 1405 May 3, 2020 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Atheist Forums Accent Tag! Round 2 Napoléon 845 123383 October 1, 2018 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  What's the funniest trolling you have seen on these forums? Garth 18 3210 March 23, 2018 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Is there any "atheist values" like "Christian values"? ErGingerbreadMandude 37 2874 January 7, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Dead atheist forums... erealmz 34 4816 November 16, 2017 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Sal
  Atheist Forums Recipe Book Shell B 44 8675 November 14, 2017 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Leaving Atheist Forums ScienceAf 16 3228 January 10, 2017 at 3:48 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Christmas at Atheist Forums Shell B 70 12333 October 31, 2016 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Other Forums you frequent? ignoramus 55 4256 July 23, 2016 at 3:53 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus