Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ostrich Egg Omelette Recipe South African Style
Ostrich Egg Omelette Recipe South African Style
https://travelfoodatlas.com/ostrich-egg-...uth-africa

Quote:What Do Ostrich Eggs Taste Like?

Ostrich eggs mostly taste like the chicken eggs you are used to. Some people report that they have more of a buttery texture and some say it has a sweet, intense flavor.
Many people actually find the ostrich egg to be more tasty than chickens eggs since they are a lot richer. They also have a lot of distinctive health benefits including:
  • Protein rich
  • Fiber rich
  • Rich in omega 3
  • Lower cholesterol than chicken eggs
  • Low in saturated fat

Now; I wonder how do you crack such a large egg. I adore chicken eggs with cheese.
Have you ever tasted Ostrich egg omelette ?
RE: Ostrich Egg Omelette Recipe South African Style
You hit it.

Tastes like egg.
Never had ostrich egg, but I’ve had ostrich meat. It’s like a slightly gamey, mild beef. Not bad, but nothing to get excited about.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
What I’d want to know is how many chicken eggs it’d take to equal the size of the meat inside an ostrich egg. Looking it up, I’m seeing a range between 18 and 30 eggs. I’m not sure if they’re counting just the egg meat or the shell as well.

However, it’s easier to find out how to break it:

Clearly it’s far more complicated than the usual “one two three CRACK new egg” routine I’ve used for eggs.

And now I’m curious about what this scene from Sabrina would have been like if it took place in South Africa. Probably a longer, more drawn out death for that egg.

That said, as for the ostrich egg itself, I’ll just file cooking with it under “awesome, but impractical.”
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(January 10, 2021 at 3:48 am)WinterHold Wrote: https://travelfoodatlas.com/ostrich-egg-...uth-africa

Quote:What Do Ostrich Eggs Taste Like?

Ostrich eggs mostly taste like the chicken eggs you are used to. Some people report that they have more of a buttery texture and some say it has a sweet, intense flavor.
Many people actually find the ostrich egg to be more tasty than chickens eggs since they are a lot richer. They also have a lot of distinctive health benefits including:
  • Protein rich
  • Fiber rich
  • Rich in omega 3
  • Lower cholesterol than chicken eggs
  • Low in saturated fat

Now; I wonder how do you crack such a large egg. I adore chicken eggs with cheese.

It is refreshing to read a thread like this from you.

I have ate kangaroo, and croc, while in Australia.

Never had an ostrich egg. But I cant imagine it being much different than a chicken egg. Although it it cannot be a meal for one person.
I had ostrich egg omelet at a lodge near Kilimanjaro. Just another egg.
(January 10, 2021 at 1:05 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: What I’d want to know is how many chicken eggs it’d take to equal the size of the meat inside an ostrich egg. Looking it up, I’m seeing a range between 18 and 30 eggs. I’m not sure if they’re counting just the egg meat or the shell as well.

However, it’s easier to find out how to break it:

Clearly it’s far more complicated than the usual “one two three CRACK new egg” routine I’ve used for eggs.

And now I’m curious about what this scene from Sabrina would have been like if it took place in South Africa. Probably a longer, more drawn out death for that egg.

That said, as for the ostrich egg itself, I’ll just file cooking with it under “awesome, but impractical.”

I’m pretty sure it includes just the edible portion.

Yeah, the mechanics of prep and cooking one of these monsters aside, I’d agree about it being impractical. The average cost of a single ostrich egg seems to be around $70 (US). Until the price of chicken eggs rises to $35/dozen, I’ll stick with those.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 10, 2021 at 1:10 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(January 10, 2021 at 3:48 am)WinterHold Wrote: https://travelfoodatlas.com/ostrich-egg-...uth-africa

It is refreshing to read a thread like this from you.

I have ate kangaroo, and croc, while in Australia.

Never had an ostrich egg. But I cant imagine it being much different than a chicken egg. Although it it cannot be a meal for one person.

What did you think of crocodile? I found it similar to very lean pork.

Boru
(January 10, 2021 at 1:13 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I had ostrich egg omelet at a lodge near Kilimanjaro. Just another egg.

We don't need no chicken eggs, we don't need no omelet control, no dark olives or mushrooms in my omelet HEY VEGITIBALS LEAVE MY OMLET ALONE.
(January 10, 2021 at 1:18 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: What did you think of crocodile? I found it similar to very lean pork.

Boru

Broadway Oyster Bar, in St. Louis, their gators died happy. Hungry

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recipe: Not Sure Where to Put This ABQ505 2 291 December 10, 2021 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: ABQ505
  South Park. What you think of Cartman? Snideon 10 571 July 10, 2020 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: mediocrates
  Phew! And another south of the boarder story. Brian37 3 559 July 19, 2018 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Obviously Ostrich... Joods 9 624 March 8, 2018 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheist Forums Recipe Book Shell B 44 8674 November 14, 2017 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Recipe Book BrokenQuill92 6 1451 November 13, 2017 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I'm looking for good recipe ideas for the foods that I usually buy from the store WisdomOfTheTrees 1 740 February 5, 2017 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Laura Petrie's famous avocado peanut butter dip recipe vorlon13 5 12154 December 12, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Adopting Japanese life style elements Sterben 34 3264 September 22, 2016 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Rayaan
  Share your favorite created recipe abaris 12 2160 August 13, 2016 at 1:48 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus