Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need to blow off some steam
I need to blow off some steam
For starters, I am home for the summer. 10 months out of the year, I am living by myself in Tucson, going to school and working. But to save money on rent, I move back home for the summer. I am however taking two summer classes as well. Both are online [Obviously]. But, ever since my fall semester I asked for some help on a big paper I had. All I wanted was some proof reading. However, ever since then my Dad thinks he needs to be 100% involved in my coursework. Honestly, if I need help I will ask. It was fine when I was away this last spring, because I was away from him and the only way we would "study" was over Face-time. But he would demand the most inconvenient times. But now, now since I am back home he is always hounding me about school. I'm a hard worker, I study hard and work hard. I deeply care for my education. If I didn't I don't think I would be where I am right now. 

I try telling my Dad that he doesn't need to be as involved [Nice way of saying fuck off] but he insists that he needs to help me. Honestly, if I need help I will ask.

He also wants me to do my notes a certain way, and I have to show him. And then he always finds issues with them and nit picks little things. I simply just have different ways of studying, taking notes and so on. 

I appreciate my Dad cares, but I think he's a bit too involved. All I want is more independence. 

Please, don't think I'm just some whiny millennial. Because like I have said before, I respect my parents and appreciate that they care. But there is a thing as caring too much and forcing your way into something you really aren't supposed to be involved in. [Kinda like Iraq] I'm Iraq, and my Dad is the U.S.

Anyways, I digress.

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
RE: I need to blow off some steam
You're right. How old are you again? Good that you can appreciate that he does it because he cares but he does seem a little too obsessed with making your every small decision.
The term is:

[Image: helicopter-parenting.png]

You need some Anti-Aircraft fire.
(June 26, 2017 at 5:50 pm)Whateverist Wrote: You're right.  How old are you again?  Good that you can appreciate that he does it because he cares but he does seem a little too obsessed with making your every small decision.

I'm 23, I turn 24 later this fall. But hey, I guess I should just enjoy spending time with him since this will most likely be my last stint here back home. Seeing I graduate in a year, and I hope I can find something in my field. Another thing is he will lose his shit when he looks at the syllabus and see's how often there's a writing assignment for said class. I really have no issue with it. But, I just go with the flow. I don't complain, BUT as previously stated I try to be subtle and tell him I will be OK and if I need help I will simply ask.

I should also point out I have a rather interesting relationship with my Dad as well. Me not being religious, but hiding it. Meanwhile, he is very very religious. Not a zealot, but religion is a large part of his life.

It's absolutely none of his business, and crucial for your formation and education that you handle your studies yourself if at all possible.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(June 26, 2017 at 5:45 pm)It_Was_me Wrote: But, ever since my fall semester I asked for some help on a big paper I had. All I wanted was some proof reading. However, ever since then my Dad thinks he needs to be 100% involved in my coursework.

Forgive me, for approaching this from a parent's perspective. 
I can't help but wonder if he proofread that particular paper, and somehow came to the conclusion that you really, really need his assistance.

What was his take on it, after he finished? Did it require an inordinate amount of er...polishing? Big Grin

<bolding mine, for emphasis>
(June 26, 2017 at 6:14 pm)Thena323 Wrote:
(June 26, 2017 at 5:45 pm)It_Was_me Wrote: But, ever since my fall semester I asked for some help on a big paper I had. All I wanted was some proof reading. However, ever since then my Dad thinks he needs to be 100% involved in my coursework.

Forgive me, for approaching this from a parent's perspective. 
I can't help but wonder if he proofread that particular paper, and somehow came to the conclusion that you really, really need his assistance.

What was his take on it, after he finished? Did it require an inordinate amount of er...polishing? Big Grin

haha No! He added a couple things, but overall he believed I did fairly well. I got a high B on that paper.

George Carlin had a term for parents who were excessively involved in their kids' lives.  He called them Diaper Sniffers.

It isn't in this clip but it still makes the point.

(June 26, 2017 at 6:27 pm)Minimalist Wrote: George Carlin had a term for parents who were excessively involved in their kids' lives.  He called them Diaper Sniffers.

It isn't in this clip but it still makes the point.

I prefer his bit about letting kids make the answering machine message.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KptOYSc9t4
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
Aw dude. Sorry. Enjoy your dad, though. I tell you as a daughter, and a momma.

And you live like right around the corner. Tucsooooon! I know some honnies up in there.
Now let's talk about that AZ weather. It's somethin'. Ammirite? K. Stay in school and love your folks. Peace!
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 800 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  Well I'm off to Devon Cod 26 3509 August 4, 2019 at 3:59 am
Last Post: Cod
  Neil deGrasse Tyson off the hook! chimp3 5 1230 March 16, 2019 at 11:44 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Fell off my bike tonight Foxaèr 48 2659 October 22, 2018 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  I'm off on holidays again GUBU 6 949 September 4, 2018 at 11:14 am
Last Post: GUBU
  My humor, I know it's off the wall Foxaèr 13 2066 May 8, 2018 at 8:03 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  I'll need some help with this. notimportant1234 26 1856 March 10, 2018 at 8:03 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I Need Some Help BrianSoddingBoru4 7 1178 March 1, 2018 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Pick the time you want me off Mystic 42 5024 February 1, 2018 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Should I fuck off to bed. Succubus 11 1365 January 27, 2018 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: John V