Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Really want to give up my cable TV......
Really want to give up my cable TV......
Want to get a HD antenna and just fucking ditch my cable, way over priced just for the few basic channels I get. But my experience with "as seen on TV" crap, is that most of it is crap. My mom had in the past bought stuff she saw on TV only to stop using it weeks after. 

If anyone techie knows about the small plastic cable boxes, the other thing recently for the past few days. Only during the day though. Not sure if it is my box, or the line itself. Some of the channels will suddenly get jumbled and severely garbled then blank out. But, in the evening they come back. 

Regardless, cable TV prices SUCK. I am simply afraid of going to an air antenna, and I never use my credit card on line because of identity theft, otherwise I would get something like Netflix.
RE: Really want to give up my cable TV......
Haven't had a TV in 16 years. Good riddance.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(June 27, 2017 at 8:45 am)Alex K Wrote: Haven't had a TV in 16 years. Good riddance.

I can't live without it. I am most of all a news junkie. But I also use it for NFL games, and helps me fall asleep at night, I cant fall asleep without my TV on. 

I am just pissed at the cost of it. It was almost half the cost in 05 when I moved down here.
We haven't had cable in a few years. We have high speed internet and utilize things like Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Amazon Movies, etc. Never looked back.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
I think you're being a little irrational about using your credit card online.

You're thousands of times more likely to get your identity stolen at a gas station with a scanner than with a major retailer online. Just don't use your credit card at a Starbucks on public WiFi.

I haven't had cable since 2015. I have yet to miss it.

I do have a good situation set up. I share my logins with several people. My parents have a cable subscription through Bright House as part of their HOA in Florida. They use my HBO and Amazon Prime. My brother has Netflix and Hulu. I can watch almost anything I like. ESPN, NFL Network, news channels, etc.
They watch HBO and Amazon streaming. I buy the standalone Sunday Ticket for Steelers games.

Overall, costs me $15 a month for HBO, then whatever Amazon charges yearly.

If you are close enough to the local stations to get a signal, then that's even better.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I had Sling TV for a while. It wasn't too bad.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
I'm going to dump mine ASAP - the kids don't seem to care about anything but streaming, and the adults can deal with it. There's really not that much on cable that I want to watch that I can't already get OTA or elsewhere online.

I learned awhile ago that the media server I use at home (Plex) does live TV and has DVR capability, all I have to do is add an antenna and a digital tuner. (It's a paid feature, but I have a lifetime Plex sub).

Between that, various streaming services and Sickbeard, I really have no reason to keep cable any longer.
* SteelCurtain Googles Sickbeard...

[Image: VXiPw.gif]
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
LOL, perv.
Amazon Fire TV running Kodi with 3rd party addons.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which do you want to go? Foxaèr 13 726 October 18, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Do people just naturally want conflict Ahriman 113 3519 September 26, 2023 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What’s a reasonable amount to give on Christmas? Apollo 3 337 December 25, 2020 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why does everyone want to advertise in their signature? Foxaèr 2 328 September 14, 2020 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Already want to change my name again Foxaèr 14 725 July 12, 2020 at 1:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Wink Want to read about my mom?? Clueless Morgan 2 635 April 5, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Are you the monster you want to be? Angrboda 48 2401 January 13, 2019 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Cable out again Brian37 2 426 November 22, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I want a nanny! ignoramus 2 410 November 14, 2018 at 7:33 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  7 little things that completely give us away Foxaèr 9 1101 November 4, 2018 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician