Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Do people just naturally want conflict
Do people just naturally want conflict
I think humans naturally gravitate toward increasing conflict and chaos, and might actually enjoy their lives more, the more chaotic things are in the world, e.g. The Russia/Ukraine War, (pointless) political divisions such as Biden vs. Trump, drama in the household (married couples, parents/kids, money issues, etc.).......it just seems like people actually want all this bullshit, maybe because their lives are intolerably boring without it?
"Imagination, life is your creation"
RE: Do people just naturally want conflict
It's maybe more to do with meaningfulness.

A key part of feeling like you're living a good life is a sense of meaning, that your life is significant.

And meaningfulness comes largely from emotional intensity (positive or negative) combined with the idea that the emotional event is connected to something larger than yourself that you care about (your nation, family, the kingdom of God, the advancement of civilisation, art, defeating the enemy, etc). This is further enhanced by comradeship: intense emotions shared are more meaningful than alone.

Other factors can also affect this (complexity, symbolic resonance, and memorialisation), but the key components of meaningfulness ar experiences of shared emotional intensity connected to a larger narrative.

And which is more likely to generate that: A drama filled life, or a 9-5 office job followed by reality TV? People love drama because they want to feel they are truly alive.
Well then people are addicted to having meaning in their lives, which isn't good at all. People don't need meaning, they need to be honest with themselves about what's good for the human race as a whole and not just what they selfishly desire as individuals.
There would not be any conflict if you just acknowledge that I am always right. If not, FUCK YOU!
(September 25, 2023 at 2:50 am)Ahriman Wrote: Well then people are addicted to having meaning in their lives, which isn't good at all. People don't need meaning, they need to be honest with themselves about what's good for the human race as a whole and not just what they selfishly desire as individuals.

I don't think addiction is the right term. A sense of meaning is essential for a 'good life'. Without it, people are far more susceptible to mental illness and disease, and they will be less equipped to deal with suffering and hardship.
(September 25, 2023 at 6:28 am)FrustratedFool Wrote:
(September 25, 2023 at 2:50 am)Ahriman Wrote: Well then people are addicted to having meaning in their lives, which isn't good at all. People don't need meaning, they need to be honest with themselves about what's good for the human race as a whole and not just what they selfishly desire as individuals.

I don't think addiction is the right term.  A sense of meaning is essential for a 'good life'.  Without it, people are far more susceptible to mental illness and disease, and they will be less equipped to deal with suffering and hardship.

While all of that is technically true, there should still be a way made/found/invented to make it so people didn't feel like they needed a reason to live. But I get what you're saying, a sense of meaning keeps society cohesive. One problem with this, is that the stronger members of society reap all the tangible benefits, while the weaker members merely subsist. Not a good system, in my opinion, and meaning is part of that problem.
I don't know of a solution, tbh.

But everyone wants/benefits from a sense of meaning.

How everyone can have that without conflict seems a difficult nut to crack. Religion attempted to offer that, but wasn't very good at it.
(September 25, 2023 at 6:54 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: I don't know of a solution, tbh.

But everyone wants/benefits from a sense of meaning.

How everyone can have that without conflict seems a difficult nut to crack.  Religion attempted to offer that, but wasn't very good at it.

Yeah......but it would be preferable if people could have something better than a sense of meaning, that offered them more than a sense of meaning would.
It would likely be good if humans were wired differently in some ways. But for the moment, they have the evolved brains they have.
(September 25, 2023 at 7:20 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: It would likely be good if humans were wired differently in some ways.  But for the moment, they have the evolved brains they have.

Direct stimulation of neurotransmitters could be used to encourage (or discourage) certain brain activity.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which do you want to go? Foxaèr 13 792 October 18, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why does everyone want to advertise in their signature? Foxaèr 2 343 September 14, 2020 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Already want to change my name again Foxaèr 14 808 July 12, 2020 at 1:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Wink Want to read about my mom?? Clueless Morgan 2 652 April 5, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Are you the monster you want to be? Angrboda 48 2473 January 13, 2019 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  I want a nanny! ignoramus 2 421 November 14, 2018 at 7:33 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why is there people who bother people for no reason? Macoleco 6 1009 October 2, 2018 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Cod
  For those who understand the law better than me (would you want it this way too?) Foxaèr 9 1160 July 27, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Would you want to go to Westworld? Alexmahone 11 1003 May 18, 2018 at 3:29 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Would you want to live here? Foxaèr 22 4071 April 28, 2018 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: c172