Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 9:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pilot Tells Passengers to "pray", more BS logic.
Pilot Tells Passengers to "pray", more BS logic.
Unlike Sully, this idiot pilot broke protocol and needlessly scared the passengers. First off, prior to a plane taking off, a pilot takes thousands of hours of emergency training. And while planes do crash and people do die, the factories still do tons in redundancy so that when something goes wrong, the jet can still fly. Most jets are designed that they can if only two engines or three can still fly on one. Prayer did NOT get this jet back safely, design and pilot training did.

RE: Pilot Tells Passengers to "pray", more BS logic.
And on this same day thousands in trouble prayed and died all the same. but hey he's "mysterious" and isn't "obligated "to help

[Image: th?id=OIP.bC__Vtg0FzaeHhh9CRT88ADzEs&pid=15.1]
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

although praying took their minds from pooping their pants

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Or perhaps not.  Who knows what the cabin smelled like afterwards?
If the pilot of a plane asked me to pray, I'd wet my pants.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
Stupid fucking pilot. When I'm on a plane and things go badly, I want my pilot to lie like a rug. If the plane is upside down, on fire, and spiraling downwards at terminal velocity, I STILL want to hear that calm, baritone voice saying something like, 'We are experiencing some minor turbulence, nothing unusual at this altitude.'

Seriously. Lie to me like you lie when you're trying to bang flight attendant Buffy.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
After watching the video, clearly one of the turbofans had an imbalanced fan. I wonder why an engine shutdown would not alleviate the severe vibrations? Can they not lock the fan in one position?

A few general observations not necessarily related to this particular scenario -

1. People who think prayer is valuable don't generally need to be told when to do so.
2. A pilot asking passengers to pray is going to heighten their awareness of a hazardous situation that they literally have no control over, and may cause a panic. In short, it's going to scare the shit out of them.
3. I personally would prefer a calm, reassuring voice right up until impact and the sweet release of death. I'm scared enough of flying on my own as it is, thankyouverymuch.
(June 27, 2017 at 2:21 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: After watching the video, clearly one of the turbofans had an imbalanced fan. I wonder why an engine shutdown would not alleviate the severe vibrations? Can they not lock the fan in one position?

airflow kept the rotating group spinning

there really isn't a way to stop it with out jabbing a 4X4 in the front of the engine

usually/frequently loosing a fan blade will jam up the works enough, but not in this case

And the rotation speed seemed to be close to a vibration mode of the aircraft, so the bad effects were really pronounced
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Yeah, there was definitely some harmonic resonance going on. I suppose I'd always thought they had son sort of axial brake for situations like this.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Court of Appeals Tells Alabama Shitheads to "Fuck Off!" Minimalist 6 1113 August 23, 2018 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  McCain Tells Why He Gave The Steele Dossier to the FBI Minimalist 1 475 May 10, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  SCOTUS Tells Anti-Abortion Nuts To Go Fuck Themselves Minimalist 294 25459 April 11, 2018 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  U.S. Navy Pilot draws penis in air possibletarian 19 2000 November 23, 2017 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Supreme Court Tells NC Republicunts to Go Fuck Themselves Minimalist 0 627 May 15, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Sessions Tells Prosecutors To Seek 'Most Serious' Charges for low level drug crimes Aegon 19 4236 May 12, 2017 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  So, tell me again what your mirror tells you after voting for that man abaris 113 13722 November 17, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Escaped ISIS Hostage after 10 months tells how to defeat ISIS Heat 22 4130 December 8, 2015 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Man pisses on fellow passengers abaris 12 2800 September 15, 2015 at 10:39 am
Last Post: brewer
  Lessons from "Pray away the gay camp" Foxaèr 15 4037 June 3, 2015 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho