Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sessions Tells Prosecutors To Seek 'Most Serious' Charges for low level drug crimes
Sessions Tells Prosecutors To Seek 'Most Serious' Charges for low level drug crimes
Quote:in a memo to staff, Attorney General Jeff Sessions has ordered federal prosecutors to "charge and pursue the most serious, readily provable offense" — a move that marks a significant reversal of Obama-era policies on low-level drug crimes.

The two-page memo, which was publicly released Friday, lays out a policy of strict enforcement that rolls back the comparatively lenient stance established by one of his predecessors under President Obama, Eric Holder.

"This policy affirms our responsibility to enforce the law, is moral and just, and produces consistency. This policy fully utilizes the tools Congress has given us," Sessions told thousands of assistant U.S. attorneys in the memo. "By definition, the most serious offenses are those that carry the most substantial guidelines sentence, including mandatory minimum sentences."

Holder had asked prosecutors to avoid slapping nonviolent drug offenders with crimes that carried mandatory minimum sentences — which, as NPR's Tamara Keith explains, "give judges and prosecutors little discretion over the length of a prison term if a suspect is convicted." Holder's recommendation had been aimed partly at helping reduce burgeoning prison populations in the U.S.

Now, if prosecutors wish to pursue lesser charges for these low-level crimes, they will need to obtain approval for the exception from a U.S. attorney, assistant attorney general or another supervisor.

Tamara notes this marks a return to the "tough-on-crime philosophy of the 1990s."

"Our responsibility is to fulfill our role in a way that accords with the law, advances public safety, and promotes respect for our legal system," Sessions writes. "It is of the utmost importance to enforce the law fairly and consistently."

And Sessions made clear he means this shift in policy to be immediate.

"Any inconsistent previous policy of the Department of Justice relating to these matters is rescinded, effective today."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2...t=20170512

Gotta keep those private prisons filled.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
RE: Sessions Tells Prosecutors To Seek 'Most Serious' Charges for low level drug crimes
When are we going to get a mandatory minimum for sexual assault?
RE: Sessions Tells Prosecutors To Seek 'Most Serious' Charges for low level drug crimes
(May 12, 2017 at 9:52 am)Divinity Wrote: When are we going to get a mandatory minimum for sexual assault?

Or lying under oath?
There's actual science that says this is a bad idea, but it's science so it has no influence on Sessions.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(May 12, 2017 at 10:05 am)Crossless1 Wrote:
(May 12, 2017 at 9:52 am)Divinity Wrote: When are we going to get a mandatory minimum for sexual assault?

Or lying under oath?

I don't think mandatory minimums are a good thing, even with sexual assault, because many times some of those cases can simply be word of mouth with no physical DNA evidence. I am all for putting dangerous and violent people in prison, but the right people, not convictions solely based on the nature of the charge, but strictly on EVIDENCE.

It is easy to play armchair quarterback based on what you see in the news. The problem with our justice system is that it is a MYTH that only the guilty go to prison. Our system hurts the poor the most because we don't hire enough public defenders who need the time to defend properly. Innocent people will plea just to reduce time. 

This isn't just about crime, there really is an economic war conducted by the uber rich on the middle class and working poor. If you can accept Sessions as being a fucking asshole on minor non violent drug offenses then you cannot and should not assume the guilt of anyone no matter what the charge is.
History proves it's a bad idea as well. We tried this with prohibition already, and it didn't work out. The drug war isn't working, but they don't care about that.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(May 12, 2017 at 10:18 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(May 12, 2017 at 10:05 am)Crossless1 Wrote: Or lying under oath?

I don't think mandatory minimums are a good thing, even with sexual assault, because many times some of those cases can simply be word of mouth with no physical DNA evidence. I am all for putting dangerous and violent people in prison, but the right people, not convictions solely based on the nature of the charge, but strictly on EVIDENCE.

It is easy to play armchair quarterback based on what you see in the news. The problem with our justice system is that it is a MYTH that only the guilty go to prison. Our system hurts the poor the most because we don't hire enough public defenders who need the time to defend properly. Innocent people will plea just to reduce time. 

This isn't just about crime, there really is an economic war conducted by the uber rich on the middle class and working poor. If you can accept Sessions as being a fucking asshole on minor non violent drug offenses then you cannot and should not assume the guilt of anyone no matter what the charge is.

Oh, I'm not really in favor of mandatory minimums -- never have been. I'm just tired of the rank hypocrisy of these "law and order" assholes who think nothing of ruining others' lives over non-violent drug offenses while wiping their asses with the very rules they claim to uphold.

As far as I'm concerned, Jeff Sessions can recuse himself from public life permanently.

And yes, the drug war always has been about class.
(May 12, 2017 at 10:20 am)Chad32 Wrote: History proves it's a bad idea as well. We tried this with prohibition already, and it didn't work out. The drug war isn't working, but they don't care about that.

I am not for all drugs being legal. Just the bullshit idea of overcharging non violent people.

Just like I am for deporting violent individuals but not non violent individuals.

It depends. Heroine, coke, meth, no. I am only for not charging non violent offenders and more funding for recovery. I don't think any drug, just like booze should be a free for all. 

I am for going after those who sell on mass scale, but not the non violent user.

Just like I am for regulated prostitution but not unregulated street prostitution which is dangerous.

It depends.
I'm for legalizing most drugs. As long as they are regulated, and people get their warnings. Let people do whatever the fuck they want to themselves as long as they aren't breaking other laws.
(May 12, 2017 at 10:57 am)Divinity Wrote: I'm for legalizing most drugs.  As long as they are regulated, and people get their warnings.  Let people do whatever the fuck they want to themselves as long as they aren't breaking other laws.

Not me, it would be nice to think if they were all turned into legal businesses they wouldn't get abused. But even with the regulation of things like Oxycodine and OxyCoton we see over prescribing and even pharmacies and non hospital walk in complexes get busted.

I am only "it depends". I don't see how you regulate heroine or coke or meth, and if you did that, how? If you did that people would still turn to synthetics  because if it becomes a business, the prices could go up.

Pot right now is about the only thing I see that should be legal. 

I am trying to meet you half way here, I only agree that if you are non violent, you should not be charged as a user. Take the heroine, coke and meth away, offer them free recovery funded by the tax payers. But don't send them to jail.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HIV drug mandate violates religious freedom, judge rules zebo-the-fat 6 992 September 9, 2022 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  FB app hit by low ratings Foxaèr 3 580 June 10, 2021 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  BREAKING:Italy charges Egyptian security agency officials over murder of Giulio R. WinterHold 27 1166 December 14, 2020 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Trump was just advertising for a drug for COVID; he wasn't sick WinterHold 36 2309 October 17, 2020 at 12:39 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  White Americans are drug dealers and rapists.... Brian37 7 645 March 29, 2020 at 7:51 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Democratic Drug Den EgoDeath 50 3043 October 2, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  Worst Drug Dealer EVER BrianSoddingBoru4 17 710 May 4, 2019 at 1:08 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Smollet Charges Dropped The Grand Nudger 33 3538 April 14, 2019 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How Low Can the GOP/POTUS go? OP/ED Brian37 15 945 March 29, 2019 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Nuns steal ~$500k from school for Vegas trips - face no charges Fidel_Castronaut 15 1355 December 11, 2018 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama