Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazing movies that are terrible biographies
Amazing movies that are terrible biographies
One of my favorite movies is "Immortal Beloved," in which Gary Oldman does a fantastic job of playing Beethoven. It's dramatic. The music is played beautifully for the soundtrack. The acting is spot on and even the inaccuracies give it flavor. However, it is wildly inaccurate. There are some leaps that make me scratch my head, particularly given that the man who wrote it really believed he found the truth of the Immortal Beloved letter(s).

Anyhow, I watched it with Tibs a few nights ago and couldn't stop pointing out inaccuracies. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen a (pseudo) biographical drama that they loved as a film, but hated as a history lesson.
RE: Amazing movies that are terrible biographies
Spartacus.
Good one.
The passion of the Christ.

Gods of Egypt.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I used to annoy the shit out of my wife.... alright sometimes I still do... by pointing out that at the end that someone traveling to Gaul (as Gracchus told Lentulus and Varinia to do ) would use the Via Aurelia heading north out of Rome rather than the Via Appia which headed south and which as the story goes that the survivors of Crassus' victory were supposedly crucified along.

She would frequently throw a pillow at me.
(July 13, 2017 at 1:34 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: The passion of the Christ.

Gods of Egypt.

I haven't seen Gods of Egypt. I'll have to put it on our list.
An Adventure In Space And Time. Beautiful, moving, engaging - and mostly inaccurate.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(July 13, 2017 at 1:36 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I used to annoy the shit out of my wife.... alright sometimes I still do... by pointing out that at the end that someone traveling to Gaul (as Gracchus told Lentulus and Varinia to do ) would use the Via Aurelia heading north out of Rome rather than the Via Appia which headed south and which as the story goes that the survivors of Crassus' victory were supposedly crucified along.

She would frequently throw a pillow at me.

I wouldn't have even known that. I took one introduction course on Roman history. Therefore, it was too broad. Feel free to send me a transcript of your complaints next time you watch it. Big Grin

(July 13, 2017 at 1:40 pm)Cyberman Wrote: An Adventure In Space And Time. Beautiful, moving, engaging - and mostly inaccurate.

If it has clips of Susan, I'll pass. That horrible dumbass.
Patton.

Oh, "The Theory of Everything" Redmayne could fart and it would it be good. He really did a great job as Hawking, but the film left out a lot of important facts. Come to think of it, "The Danish Girl" as well. Beautiful, poignant, well-acted and, in some places, outright wrong.

I never saw Patton.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Break up movies TaraJo 4 524 January 25, 2019 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Reader's Digest movies. Gawdzilla Sama 2 556 November 15, 2017 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  My Top 10 Superhero Movies Mechaghostman2 10 2027 October 8, 2016 at 10:09 am
Last Post: Jesster
  My Top 10 Stupid Fun Movies Mechaghostman2 7 1264 July 8, 2016 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  My Top 10 Sci-Fi Movies Mechaghostman2 92 13889 June 26, 2016 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: Organic Machine
  Top 10 Dinosaur Movies Mechaghostman2 12 2409 June 6, 2016 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Shitty movies you've seen vorlon13 89 12222 January 9, 2016 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The Amazing Things People Can Do Creed of Heresy 1 1024 January 12, 2015 at 11:56 am
Last Post: Violet
  Top Ten Horror Movies BrokenQuill92 23 5039 November 3, 2014 at 9:34 am
Last Post: Violet
  Movies I'm excited for! BrokenQuill92 35 9221 May 16, 2014 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: Sejanus