Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Propaganda Films and Hate Speech
Propaganda Films and Hate Speech
I don't know if anybody here is a fellow fan of things like the Bible Reloaded youtube channel or the God Awful Movies podcast but I would have to assume some or most of us have at least heard of them and can easily look it up and get a gist of their purpose and sensibilities.

So, we all know that aside from the occasional high-quality Hollywood production like Noah, or Exodus: Gods and Kings, etc., most of what's produced are garbage by those opportunistic faith-heads looking to make a dishonest buck are putting out loads of Xtian films designed to denigrate non-believers and other faiths and stroke their own egos while promoting the worst of their own teachings.

It's already rather disgusting, the sort of writing and themes that go into these but I want to point out a particular example of their filmmaking that I would bet a kidney every single one of us on here has heard of, if only the title: God's Not Dead.

Subtlety is not their thing, as you are slapped in the face with the following:
Islam is bad and treats women like objects. Atheists aren't really unbelievers, they're just mad at god. And they're all completely obnoxious, insensitive, disrespectful, disloyal, stuck-up, intolerant assholes who push their agendas on others, not a single one being an exception. They should be killed for their lack of belief. Xtians are horribly persecuted for no reason at all. Science is either totally wrong or supports theism and creation. Only Xtians behave morally. Everyone wants to hear everything they have to say and supports them just because they are willing to stand up and say it, and they're never wrong.

So...I mean, I look at how much money that movie and its sequel (with, as is assumed, a third entry on the way) earn on theatrical releases and, at least by comparison to the Ark Park, it's frightening how many people have been able to sit through that and not publicly decry it for being a poor representation of their faith.

It seems we're lucky most people who profess faith are, if this is any indication, too cowardly to act upon their convictions even if they agree with the underlying messages in their holy books. But this passive-aggressive shit is hardly any different from any other propaganda released to push a tyrannical agenda. I don't see anyone getting called out over anti-defamation or attempting to incite violence in these films. Does this just not bother anyone or what?

More importantly, is there any kind of response that's appropriate? If there was a means of producing ant-propaganda, is that a viable counterattack or there just nothing to be done?
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
RE: Propaganda Films and Hate Speech
Do you have any real/main stream examples of defamation or christian violence? or do you just assume because your side is privy to those things?

That said what are you exactly mad at concerning Christianity 2 rules that we must all obey?

Is it the love our lord God with all of our heart, mind, spirit and strength?

Or is the hatred stirred by the command to love our neighbor as our self?
@Drich, be honest. Not all Christians believe those are the two fundamental things. I mean take the second thing for example, I know of a Christian who publicly berated a rape victim for kicks and giggles on a forum one time. Pretty sure he didn't think loving thy neighbor was all that important. Or maybe he just thinks it literally means to diddle the person who lives next door...hmm. I don't know.

@OP, the thing I'm not understand is what part of the movie God's Not Dead was promoting killing Muslims and atheists?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(July 31, 2017 at 9:07 am)Losty Wrote: @OP, the thing I'm not understand is what part of the movie God's Not Dead was promoting killing Muslims and atheists?

It doesn't, it just horribly stereotypes them, and in the end the atheist protagonist is killed by a car, which is decared to be a very good thing by the Christian characters.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(July 31, 2017 at 9:17 am)Alex K Wrote:
(July 31, 2017 at 9:07 am)Losty Wrote: @OP, the thing I'm not understand is what part of the movie God's Not Dead was promoting killing Muslims and atheists?

It doesn't, it just horribly stereotypes them, and in the end the atheist protagonist is killed by a car, which is decared to be a very good thing by the Christian characters.

Wow. Really? D:
That's pretty fucked up.
When I made my post I really assumed the OP was just exaggerating. O_O

0/10

(July 31, 2017 at 9:20 am)Losty Wrote:
(July 31, 2017 at 9:17 am)Alex K Wrote: It doesn't, it just horribly stereotypes them, and in the end the atheist protagonist is killed by a car, which is decared to be a very good thing by the Christian characters.

Wow. Really? D:
That's pretty fucked up.
When I made my post I really assumed the OP was just exaggerating. O_O

Well, they don't say that you should kill atheists, but... let's say it this way: Kevin Sorbo's character gets hit by a car, and the two predatory Christian dudes ("the heroes") talk him into accepting Jesus and convert him to Christianity there on the tarmac during his last seconds. I don't think they make any effort to get medical help, and they don't care much, because the top priority is to get him into Jesus camp. When he's dead, they coverted him just in time, and I think the black guy then says "Today is.a good day!".
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

That's disgusting.

0/10

(July 31, 2017 at 9:37 am)Losty Wrote: That's disgusting.

Most of these Christian movies are mind bogglingly immoral and super toxic (accept marital violence! don't get psychiatric help! having any success in your job means you neglect Jesus!, the list goes on)

(July 31, 2017 at 9:17 am)Alex K Wrote:

Not quite. The angry atheist is a trope. So is the judgemental Christian or the rebellious child. Footlocker, anyone. That's not to say that there are not Christians behaving badly :-) just that in mainstream movies Christians are routinely portrayed on television and in movies as puritanical prudes and fundamentalist fanatics as opposed to the many many missionaries and local social workers that do not fit the trope. It's not fair or accurate but it is true. We are used to it. The latest Mel Gibson movie (forget the name) is the kind of story that shows the courage and compassion that faith inspires in many Christians. Maybe if Hollywood made more films like that then it would move Christians to live their faith better rather that making some feel constantly disrespected by the larger secular sense of self-righteousness.

As for the ending, bedside conversation, I disagree with your conclusion, Alex. Very few delight in anyone's suffering and I don't think many saw that accident as "righteous judgement" or anything like that. Instead it represents our greatest hope that all will come to saving grace and that God extends his mercy to us even if we have no further ability to atone for our sins.
(July 31, 2017 at 9:40 am)Alex K Wrote:
(July 31, 2017 at 9:37 am)Losty Wrote: That's disgusting.

Most of these Christian movies are mind bogglingly immoral and super toxic (accept marital violence! don't get psychiatric help! having any success in your job means you neglect Jesus!, the list goes on)

I've only seen Left Behind and that was when I was just a kid. Scared me

0/10

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think Catholics hate Charles Goodyear Woah0 7 1289 August 28, 2022 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Xtians Will Hate This. Minimalist 34 3098 December 3, 2018 at 12:39 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 17489 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  hate the sin, love the sinner mcolafson 101 14120 September 5, 2016 at 11:19 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  the real reason creationists hate evolution? drfuzzy 22 8025 October 6, 2015 at 11:39 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  The Jesus Freaks Will Hate This Minimalist 906 168212 April 28, 2015 at 3:03 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Apparently Disney's Frozen is pure gay propaganda Doubting Thomas 43 12183 March 22, 2014 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  This Is Why I Hate Fucking Xtians. Minimalist 40 13708 November 18, 2013 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Ryantology
  "why I Hate Religion, but Love Jesus" CleanShavenJesus 3 2414 June 28, 2013 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why I hate the protection from the law which churches give their members. Something completely different 11 6052 February 12, 2013 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Something completely different