Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are some theists afraid of atheists?
Are some theists afraid of atheists?
I'm talking about theists that discriminate against atheists. They believe that they will go to Heaven, while atheists go to Hell. So they think that in the end they will win. So why are they so angry at atheists? It might be human nature to be self centered and to be an asshole, but is it more to it? Are they actually afraid that atheists might be right? Are they afraid that the majority will become atheists and they will become the minority? Are they afraid that their enormous egos will be hurt?
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: Are some theists afraid of atheists?
Where I live, I would say a lot of theists really are afraid of atheists. Most of them seem to think we are Satan worshipers.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Also, I like the bow on your leg fishie avatar. Very cute.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
They know it's a crock, this is the reason they're so defensive.

“Faith is believing what you know ain't so.”

Mark Twain.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(August 12, 2017 at 5:56 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: I'm talking about theists that discriminate against atheists. They believe that they will go to Heaven, while atheists go to Hell. So they think that in the end they will win. So why are they so angry at atheists? It might be human nature to be self centered and to be an asshole, but is it more to it? Are they actually afraid that atheists might be right? Are they afraid that the majority will become atheists and they will become the minority? Are they afraid that their enormous egos will be hurt?

Problem is they aren't 100% sure, and that 0.0001% of doubt could be enough to send them to Hell. 

And the issue makes them try to think, which seems to hurt them. 

On a personal note, some of my cousins have offered to kill me so I could find out myself that there is a loving God and he's going to torment me forever for not believing in him.  Dodgy
(August 12, 2017 at 5:56 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: I'm talking about theists that discriminate against atheists. They believe that they will go to Heaven, while atheists go to Hell. So they think that in the end they will win. So why are they so angry at atheists? It might be human nature to be self centered and to be an asshole, but is it more to it? Are they actually afraid that atheists might be right? Are they afraid that the majority will become atheists and they will become the minority? Are they afraid that their enormous egos will be hurt?

As there are theists that......discriminate against atheists there are also atheists that discriminate against theists.
It goes both ways At.
I am theist but I don't believe in hell.
I believe that at the end when people will have sorted out their own problems then they all will achieve the nirvana whether they are theists or ex-atheists or ex-criminals or ex-religious fanatics.  Indubitably

Humans evolved to form groups, we were forming groups as a species long before any written religion, long before any city or even farming. Worldwide you can find greater or lesser degrees of individuals, families and sects of all religions that can have an irrational fear of outsiders.

Not just Christians but all religions have this. Majorities of any group do not like having their social orders challenged. In the west we have learned to deal more openly about pluralism, but even in the west this type of xenophobia exists.

If all 7 billion humans could take a ride to space and orbit earth maybe not all but lots more would see really that this is the only home we as a species have. Ignorance is what you are talking about but Christianity does not own a patent on it. It is more an issue of our evolution in that most humans adapt the beliefs their parents hand down to them.

(August 12, 2017 at 6:58 am)Losty Wrote: Where I live, I would say a lot of theists really are afraid of atheists. Most of them seem to think we are Satan worshipers.

Yep that does happen. About 10 years ago i had a co worker literally ask me, "If you don't worship God do you worship the devil?"

UGGGGGGGGG! Cant worship God or the devil anymore than I can worship Yoda or Darth Vader.
(August 12, 2017 at 8:35 am)Brian37 Wrote: About 10 years ago i had a co worker literally ask me, "If you don't worship God do you worship the devil?"

UGGGGGGGGG! Cant worship God or the devil anymore than I can worship Yoda or Darth Vader.
They're so cute when they try to understand everything in terms of affording belief to the unsubstantiated. They don't even have the context or conceptual framework to imagine not worshiping / appeasing some invisible being.

That's PART of why they assume we're just like them. The other part of course is they dare not admit, even to themselves, the possibility that there are entirely viable, sustainable and non-nihilistic ways of being that don't involve deities or the supernatural.
Religion teaches you to go with your feelings. If I had written the Script for Star Wars I wouldn't have told Luke "Trust your feelings Luke"...... I would have had Ben saying, "HEY DUMBASS TURN YOUR TARGETING COMPUTER BACK ON!"

Can you imagine what could have happened if the Tower or Sully's co pilot said, "Trust your feelings Sully, fuck your training."
They fear what they refuse to understand, or even contemplate. To most atheists are an annoyance, so some an anathema.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3245 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Where do we go when we die and are you afraid? Shazzalovesnovels 271 21636 August 6, 2020 at 8:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 18612 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Atheists are emotionally stronger than theists Alexmahone 92 13545 June 21, 2018 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2196 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why people afraid to ask questions about their beliefs? Torin 21 4450 August 13, 2016 at 1:08 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why Some Atheists Reject Morality: The Other Side of the Coin Rhondazvous 20 5196 June 27, 2015 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: Easy Guns
  Some theists are just to far gone dyresand 36 7475 June 7, 2015 at 11:35 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Why are Atheists afraid to insult Islam and Jews? superAtheistnut 107 16426 April 22, 2015 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  UK says atheists more moral than theists robvalue 21 4828 January 20, 2015 at 10:38 am
Last Post: robvalue