Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 11:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists are emotionally stronger than theists
Atheists are emotionally stronger than theists
Atheists know there's no invisible being who will take care of them when they slip up. Rather, they know they have to look after themselves. Atheists also know that the universe wasn't created for them, and that they are just insignificant specks in the grand scheme of things. Atheists are know that life is short, and that there isn't an eternity to do the things they want. So, I contend that atheists are emotionally stronger than theists.

Thoughts?
RE: Atheists are emotionally stronger than theists
I would state that we place our emotions where it matters in life instead of in a fairy tale. Children rely on their emotions, and theists are children who maintain aspects of religion as an excuse to not fully mature.
<reaches for 11-foot pole>
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
What exactly is this meant to achieve? If, hypothetically, it turns out human psychological make up is such that fantasy can spur men to greater dedication and efforts than reality, does that thereby make theism more true or more likely to facilitate solving specific problems facing mankind?
I'm not sure if this is evidence of greater emotional strength, but knowledge of these things certainly backs us into a bit of a corner; get busy living or get busy dying. We understand we don't have time to let god work things out or wait for out prayers to be answered... we are forced to ACT upon our desires, wishes and needs... not HOPE that someone, or something, else will take care of things for us.
Define emotional strength.
Eric Liddell
William Wilberforce
Bonhoeffer
Harriet Tubman
Sojouner Truth
John Woolman
Elizabeth Fry
David Livingstone...
<insert profound quote here>
I outgrew the need for an invisible friend a very long time ago, some people seem to remain childish.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(June 3, 2018 at 8:27 pm)Alexmahone Wrote: Atheists know there's no invisible being who will take care of them when they slip up. Rather, they know they have to look after themselves. Atheists also know that the universe wasn't created for them, and that they are just insignificant specks in the grand scheme of things. Atheists are know that life is short, and that there isn't an eternity to do the things they want. So, I contend that atheists are emotionally stronger than theists.

Thoughts?

That's a pretty broad brush you're using.
I have to disagree with you. Just because atheists don't subscribe to the existence of a deity doesn't mean they are emotionally stronger than theists. Being an atheist doesn't give a person exclusivity in the emotions department.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(June 4, 2018 at 10:28 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Eric Liddell
William Wilberforce
Bonhoeffer
Harriet Tubman
Sojouner Truth
John Woolman
Elizabeth Fry
David Livingstone...

And one Wooter offsets them all.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3247 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 984 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 18621 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Do Christians really contribut to society more than atheists Asmodee 12 4472 June 27, 2018 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Are some theists afraid of atheists? Der/die AtheistIn 146 48552 June 21, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2197 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  There are more American Atheists than we thought Aroura 26 8590 May 27, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  "The New Atheists are back — and dumber than ever" Delicate 149 26828 December 26, 2015 at 11:14 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  UK says atheists more moral than theists robvalue 21 4829 January 20, 2015 at 10:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheists who preach religion and theists who preach atheism Matt Gabe 8 3777 December 25, 2014 at 4:55 am
Last Post: Lucanus