Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Theists
Question for Theists
So (some) theists, especially Catholics talk about what heaven is like, ("beatific vision etc") and various levels of how much happiness they will have. 

Tommy Aquinas (the Angelic Doctor, a priest, a saint, supposedly a charitable enough Christian that he went to heaven), said that one of the things that will contribute to that happiness of the blessed in heaven, (either in the Compendium, or the Summa Theologica) is that they will be able to see the suffering of their enemies in hell, and that will contribute to their happiness. I wonder just how happy they actually are, if in seeing their enemies suffer (nice guy isn't he) suffer can add anything to their vision of God ? 

Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell  Popcorn

Militant Atheist Commie Evolutionist 
RE: Question for Theists
Sadly I think that's the selling point for many; schadenfreude. But seems to me that's completely logically inconsistent with a religion (Christianity) centering around forgiveness.
Can I come to your church and preach atheism? You know, "be rational", "don't be pompous dicks", "don't blame other people for your own failings". Atheistic shit like that.
(July 14, 2023 at 6:13 pm)emjay Wrote: Sadly I think that's the selling point for many; schadenfreude. But seems to me that's completely logically inconsistent with a religion (Christianity) centering around forgiveness.

You misunderstand christianity.  Forgiveness, but only for some.  A very small some, if you ask any given sub-cult of christians...who wouldn't even admit all the other christians to their heavens.  If you reframe your understanding of christianity as a late roman appropriation of an ethnocentric myth concocted by conquered people, you'll see both that and how consistent it is to wish ill upon your profligate enemies, real and perceived. The whole "centered on forgiveness" shit has only ever been ad copy - cover for all of the terrible shit they actually do, wholly and certainly informed of by their faiths.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 15, 2023 at 10:55 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote:
(July 14, 2023 at 6:13 pm)emjay Wrote: Sadly I think that's the selling point for many; schadenfreude. But seems to me that's completely logically inconsistent with a religion (Christianity) centering around forgiveness.

You misunderstand christianity.  Forgiveness, but only for some.  A very small some, if you ask any given sub-cult of christians...who wouldn't even admit all the other christians to their heavens.  If you reframe your understanding of christianity as a late roman appropriation of an ethnocentric myth concocted by conquered people, you'll see both that and how consistent it is to wish ill upon your profligate enemies, real and perceived. The whole "centered on forgiveness" shit has only ever been ad copy - cover for all of the terrible shit they actually do, wholly and certainly informed of by their faiths.

You mean roughly similar to what I think it was Drich used to say, ie that 'love thy neighbour' only really meant 'love thy Christian neighbour'? In other words love your Christian brother but everyone else can go to hell, literally and figuratively in this sense.
Well, you're ignoring the universalists, for one.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(July 15, 2023 at 10:55 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote:

You misunderstand christianity.  Forgiveness, but only for some.  A very small some, if you ask any given sub-cult of christians...who wouldn't even admit all the other christians to their heavens.  If you reframe your understanding of christianity as a late roman appropriation of an ethnocentric myth concocted by conquered people, you'll see both that and how consistent it is to wish ill upon your profligate enemies, real and perceived.  The whole "centered on forgiveness" shit has only ever been ad copy - cover for all of the terrible shit they actually do, wholly and certainly informed of by their faiths.

Make believe Schadenfreude reinforced by company of the likeminded?
(July 15, 2023 at 11:21 am)Angrboda Wrote: Well, you're ignoring the universalists, for one.

Not at all.  Universalism is a rejection of judeochristian values from within the judeochristian envelope.  A late rejection, at that, as christianity has been infiltrated by and incorporated even more novel pagan and secular ideas than it had at it's conception.  

It's the bridge between what christianity is or was, to what that community of faith will become....lauded by us, perhaps..but feared by their holymen.  A post christian christianity.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 15, 2023 at 12:25 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote:
(July 15, 2023 at 11:21 am)Angrboda Wrote: Well, you're ignoring the universalists, for one.

Not at all.  Universalism is a rejection of judeochristian values from within the judeochristian envelope.  A late rejection, at that, as christianity has been infiltrated by and incorporated even more novel pagan and secular ideas than it had at it's conception.  

It's the bridge between what christianity is or was, to what that community of faith will become....lauded by us, perhaps..but feared by their holymen.  A post christian christianity.

Now you're just arguing semantics. You'll be trotting out some true Scotsmen for us next.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

And annihilationists.
<insert profound quote here>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question to ex-theists purplepurpose 13 1634 October 4, 2018 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Natachan
  A question for Anti-Theists Broseph Ballin 39 8061 June 30, 2014 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Bibliofagus