Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just think about life
Just think about life
Just think about it.
Life is insignificant, utterly short for anything. Time moves by pretty quickly, and we move with it: pretty quickly too.

I remember my childhood as a stream of... things? a stream locked inside a box called "the past". Your life too it pretty much that.
In other words; all the people we know from the past are probably gone. Nobody waits, or even stays by their own free will: life is more of a burden whenever we are loaded with sickness, wounds and pain.

Mere visitors we are; we get suffocated by the scents left from those who went and left; everything leaves. Depression isn't a sickness; I feel it's more of a logical conclusion if we thought carefully about our current ground and what is to come; and what had already gone.

Don't get me wrong; but everything is meant to end from the moment it is present. Only one thing is the same; never changes; never leaves.

I guess it's a sign. If one never saw it; one will meet it.
RE: Just think about life
Keep thinking them happy thoughts!
(August 14, 2017 at 1:57 pm)AtlasS33 Wrote: Just think about it.
Life is insignificant, utterly short for anything. Time moves by pretty quickly, and we move with it: pretty quickly too.

I remember my childhood as a stream of... things? a stream locked inside a box called "the past". Your life too it pretty much that.
In other words; all the people we know from the past are probably gone. Nobody waits, or even stays by their own free will: life is more of a burden whenever we are loaded with sickness, wounds and pain.

Mere visitors we are; we get suffocated by the scents left from those who went and left; everything leaves. Depression isn't a sickness; I feel it's more of a logical conclusion if we thought carefully about our current ground and what is to come; and what had already gone.

Don't get me wrong; but everything is meant to end from the moment it is present. Only one thing is the same; never changes; never leaves.

I guess it's a sign. If one never saw it; one will meet it.

I agree life is insignificant, but what do you mean by this post? 

It isn't that life is meant to end, it just does. Just like a season on earth ends, just like hurricane has a start and end. How is it you accept that a hurricane does not start or end because of the will of Poseidon?

It is not a "sign" it is a cycle. Just like when you eat it is predictable that you will shit and pee at some point. But there is no meaning behind your pee or poo, it just does.

I don't see why you as a Muslim, or a Christian or a Hindu or a Buddhist or a Jew are so desperate for "all this" to be explained with gap answers? I think you are  a nice guy, just like I think CL is a nice lady. But being unimportant to the universe in cosmic time, does not mean we are not important now, short term while we are alive, we most certainly are important because right now, all humans have are each other.

We cannot stop what the planet or sun does no, we cant stop what the universe does no, but we can think as a species how to put our differences on the back burner and look to solve problems while the ride is still going to extend it.

Being finite and accepting we are finite DOES NOT have to be viewed as fatalistic or pessimistic. I am not a big fan of cliche's but facing the good and the bad as my mom put it in printing this saying out for me is a good guide, "Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened."  Her death hurt me deeply, but I also know she would not want me to be depressed over her death for the rest of my life.
(August 14, 2017 at 2:02 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Keep thinking them happy thoughts!

Keep On The Sunni (or Shia) Side Of Life!
"The last superstition of the human mind is the superstition that religion in itself is a good thing."  - Samuel Porter Putnam

You know....when I think about life, what comes out doesn't sound anything like your life Atlas.  

Maybe that -is- a sign........
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 14, 2017 at 3:03 pm)Harry Nevis Wrote:
(August 14, 2017 at 2:02 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Keep thinking them happy thoughts!

Keep On The Sunni (or Shia) Side Of Life!

Come on lets be fair, Atlass33 is actually reasonable even compared to many of the Christians we run into.

I like him. I think he is as full of crap as CL just like my mom, when they claim claims of sky wizards. But I am not in the slightest worried that either Altlass33 or CL are going to have me arrested or murdered anymore than I thought my Catholic mom wanted to kill me, and she loved me and died, never giving up on that fictional utopia. 

But I like Atlass33.  I like CL TOO, sure I'd be lying if I said I didn't want them to give up on their fantasy, but I do like them. 

Now here would be a great party. We all hang out. The atheists provide the barbecue kittens and babies. CL provides the pedophile priests and Atlass provides the fireworks. 

If that is not a backyard barbecue I don't know what is.
We are all made of dead stars. What more wonder does anyone ever need.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(August 14, 2017 at 6:02 pm)Succubus Wrote: We are all made of dead stars. What more wonder does anyone ever need.

Just a little bit more. What was the matter in stars before that I 'wonder'?
(August 14, 2017 at 6:24 pm)Haydn2 Wrote:
(August 14, 2017 at 6:02 pm)Succubus Wrote: We are all made of dead stars. What more wonder does anyone ever need.

Just a little bit more. What was the matter in stars before that I 'wonder'?

Hydrogen and small amounts of Helium and Lithium formed from the quarks and electrons floating around back then. Where they came from exactly is still debated, but they were likely produced from a different form of energy, e.g. the postulated Inflaton field.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

That is far more a comfort to me than claims of old mythology. 

To know that while my consciousness is finite, knowing that the atoms that have cycled through me from my conception and will go onto other things after my death, I don't have to cling to my consciousness being prior or after, just knowing I had this brief finite cognition, I call my brain in motion, is enough for me. 

I find that amazing enough without a pre life or afterlife. I am not that narcissistic or selfish to think I am special in the history of a 13.8 billion year old universe, knowing in our planet's 4 billion year old history of evolution other life has not been so lucky. I am lucky yes, but  I am not special.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, vaahaa 19 2723 September 18, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Theist trope: "Is life just a game?", what's the best way to rerpond? ReptilianPeon 8 3049 May 20, 2016 at 4:06 am
Last Post: Alex K
  An eternal life is a worthless life. Lucanus 47 12318 December 24, 2014 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - thunderhulk 30 7764 December 16, 2013 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - Jaya Jagannath 15 6254 October 19, 2013 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  What do you think will happen to Religion if Extra Terrestrial Life were discovered? superstarr 51 11469 July 18, 2010 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: darkwolf176
  Just When You Think The Catholics Minimalist 24 6033 April 23, 2010 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: Thor