Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Familiarity with the Earth Sciences
Familiarity with the Earth Sciences
In general, what experience (education primarily but any other relevant experiences too) does everyone have with the earth sciences? (geology, paleontology, climate science, paleoclimatology, etc). Please indicate any high school classes or college classes as well as if you're a theist, agnostic, atheist, etc

In addition to this, please answer these questions specific to earth science to the best of your ability (you can obviously look things up if you're unclear but I want to know what you believe):
1) how old is the earth?
2) do fossils provide reliable support for the theory of evolution?
3) are fossil distributions consistent with the earth being old (consistent with geology) or young (consistent with literal interpretations of the Bible by young earth creationists)?
4) are you familiar with the use of stable isotopes for reconstructing environmental conditions in ancient sediments and/or experienced by fossilized organisms?
5) are you familiar with the use of stable isotopes for reconstructing dietary habits of fossilized organisms?
6) are you familiar with the use of stable isotopes to reconstruct climate histories and perturbations of the global carbon cycle?
7) do you believe in climate change (not affiliated with human activities)?
8) do you believe humans are contributing to climate change?
9) does the earth have a singular climate? Or is climate something specific to a limited area on earth? (How do answers to these questions relate to climate change in general?)
10) what other issues are you aware of around the globe that endanger humans and ecosystems that are associated with human activities and/or climate change?

(Note: I've posted the same questions on the "DebateAChristian" subreddit and on Christianforums.com for anyone who may frequent either of those)
[Image: giphy.gif]
RE: Familiarity with the Earth Sciences
I'm just aware of Paleofeceolgy. The study of ancient shit! (Also known as bible study) hehehe
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I've had basic university courses in geology and oceanography. I'm a positive atheist. 

1.  4.7 byo, give or take. 
2. Yes. 
3. Old. 
4. Vaguely. 
5. Vaguely. 
6. No. 
7. Yes.
8. Yes.
9. The question is poorly worded. 
10. Use of the ocean as a toxic waste dump. 

I hope this helps with whatever homework assignment you have. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Atheist. I have had college course in biology, microbiology, and chemistry. A high school course in Earth Science. As far as your questions..... I get my science questions answered by scientists.  Not politicians, preachers, or sportscasters. I read science books written by scientists or science educators.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(August 24, 2017 at 11:23 am)TheBeardedDude Wrote: In general, what experience (education primarily but any other relevant experiences too) does everyone have with the earth sciences? (geology, paleontology, climate science, paleoclimatology, etc). Please indicate any high school classes or college classes as well as if you're a theist, agnostic, atheist, etc

Agnostic atheist here. No practical experience in the Earth sciences, but I did have a physical geography class in college a couple of centuries ago, and do occasional reading on the side in the subject. Most of that reading is related directly to paleontology and what I've learnt from other Earth sciences from that reading is incidental and not a result of direct study. I've also had biology and chemistry at the high-school level, excelling in the former and limping through the latter.

1) 4.8 billion years, roughly.
2) Yes.
3) Yes, especially when one considers the overlapping data from paleontology and plate tectonics.
4, 5, and 6) Somewhat. I understand the principle of decay, and understand that life can and does have preferences for this or that isotope that can give clues as to the environment conditions. I also know that prior extinction events are correlated with spikes in various elements and/or isotopes thereof, which may well be clues to those extinctions and by analogy to the current extinction event I think we're seeing (I'm thinking mainly of the Siberian vulcanism that accompanied one of those events -- but there may be others and I'd be happy to learn about them).
7) It is a fact, whether I believe in it or not is irrelevant.
8) I do.
9) It's my understanding that climates are regional phenomena, but that they interact on a global level in such a manner that changes in one area can and do have ramifications in other areas. It's in the latter sense that this question relates to global climate change, in my view (for instance, rising temperatures melting polar ice, reducing albedo, causing temperature rises elsewhere).
10) I think human overpopulation is the biggest single problem, insofar as it affects climate change, pollution, habitat destruction, resource depletion, and so on.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth's Gravity Hole Bucky Ball 2 559 July 29, 2023 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The shape of Earth h311inac311 162 25135 December 4, 2022 at 1:06 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Young Earth Creationism LinuxGal 3 809 November 26, 2022 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Earth’s energy budget is out of balance Jehanne 5 581 August 20, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  NASA: Asteroid Could Still Hit Earth in 2068 WinterHold 52 4355 November 7, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Irresponsible caretakers of Earth ignoramus 50 7315 April 9, 2018 at 8:12 am
Last Post: JackRussell
  What are the rationalizations of flat earth believers? ErGingerbreadMandude 48 6825 January 20, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth Minimalist 364 55173 August 21, 2017 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Earliest evidence of life on Earth 'found' Minimalist 6 1737 March 1, 2017 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why Doesn't Earth Orbit alpha Centauri? Rhondazvous 74 9354 September 15, 2016 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Cyberman