Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyson Slams Deniers!
Tyson Slams Deniers!
No false equivocations here1 If science can predict eclipses to fractions of seconds for centuries to come, science can predict climate change:

https://www.ecowatch.com/neil-degrasse-t...20896.html
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: Tyson Slams Deniers!
But that's a stupid comparison every climate sceptic will immediately see through because climate change is orders of magnitude more difficult to predict.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(August 30, 2017 at 6:32 pm)Alex K Wrote: But that's a stupid comparison every climate sceptic will immediately see through because climate change is orders of magnitude more difficult to predict.

Perhaps not predictable down to seconds, but considering the geological and fossil evidence, not unpredictable at all!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Predictable answer from a climate change denier denier!

Big Grin

(apologies if you wanted a serious discussion. I can't help myself!)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(August 30, 2017 at 6:32 pm)Alex K Wrote: But that's a stupid comparison every climate sceptic will immediately see through because climate change is orders of magnitude more difficult to predict.

Climate scientists aren't trying to predict anything but long term averages, not exact numbers of storms. They have 100s of millions of points of worldwide data based on weather and temperature, and those records when added up and averaged out over time is very predictive.
If the world's climate is heating up, why is there still snow?

checkmate!

Dodgy
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
If Asian girls like western men, why am I not getting laid right now?
(August 31, 2017 at 10:47 pm)bennyboy Wrote: If Asian girls like western men, why am I not getting laid right now?

Because you're busy posting on AF.org?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I believe that human-induced global warming can be predicted from first principles, namely, thermodynamics.  One can also do a simple linear regression plot (global temperature v. carbon dioxide in the atmosphere) and test the regression coefficient to see if it spans zero.  It doesn't:

https://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/table...s+dSST.txt

http://ftp.aftp.cmdl.noaa.gov/products/t...mm_mlo.txt

I did this some time ago and got an adjusted R-squared of around 0.78 (good enough for government work); when I added a binary variable for volcanism, my regression increased to a little above 0.80.  I will certainly try to do this again here soon.
(August 31, 2017 at 7:45 am)ignoramus Wrote: If the world's climate is heating up, why is there still snow?

checkmate!

Dodgy

No fucking shit and BINGO...

It is selection bias and sample rate error, "It is cold today so climate change is a hoax". 

These morons don't understand that it is the same simple math principle taught in fucking middle school math classes of adding up numbers and dividing them by the total sample.

The ice caps are melting, that puts out more moisture into the atmosphere just like if you leave a glass with cold water in ice in the hot sun, eventually you see not only the ice melting in the glass, but the condensation on the outside of the glass. 

Climate change isn't just stating that the average temps worldwide are rising, they are. They still fluctuate up and down, but up on a long term trend. I remember my winters growing up being far longer than they are now. Climate change isn't from day today as far as data, but averages over long periods of time. 

Climate change isn't just about heat, or more hurricanes, but more intense snowstorms from polar air being released from the rise in temperature, thus even creating more intense cold and more intense snowstorms. No different than opening up a industrial freezer door and feeling the rush of the cold air. Problem is just like an air conditioning unit, you stress the unit out enough it breaks down. Just like if you leave your freezer open on your fridge, the cold air may come out for a while, but leave it open long enough the unit breaks down.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tyson Picks Up Where Sagan Left Off Minimalist 3 1114 February 12, 2014 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Neil DeGrasse Tyson talks to a 9 year old. Napoléon 6 2203 January 12, 2014 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  We Stopped Dreaming (Neil deGrasse Tyson) Creed of Heresy 26 6329 August 9, 2013 at 1:37 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Neil deGrasse Tyson talks about the most astounding fact of the universe CleanShavenJesus 1 1348 July 8, 2013 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Debate on FTL Neutrinos hosted by Neil Degrasse Tyson NoMoreFaith 1 1741 March 20, 2012 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: Categories+Sheaves
  Neil Tyson's sequels to the Cosmos series by Carl Sagan passionatefool 18 8922 March 18, 2012 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris