Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Stopped Dreaming (Neil deGrasse Tyson)
We Stopped Dreaming (Neil deGrasse Tyson)

RE: We Stopped Dreaming (Neil deGrasse Tyson)
We did not stop dreaming.

Way too many people fell for the absurd notion that everything has to make a profit.
Thanks for posting that Creed. I watched it twice back to back.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
There is plenty of money. It is simply going into the inane things the majority wants, which has nothing to do with space exploration. It is not that they are no longer dreaming about tomorrow, either, because their dreams are focused instead on that which entertains them, and space does not entertain the majority.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/20...05186.html

Quote:With the space shuttle's retirement Thursday, no longer will flying people and cargo up to the International Space Station be a government program where costs balloon. NASA is turning to private industry with fixed prices, contracts and profit margins. The space agency will be the customer, not the boss.

Sucking up public money for profit.
You know, I actually have heard arguments from NdGT that specifically posit how we can make the "for profit" argument work in favor of space exploration that does not entail making NASA become the customer of our future in space. Would anyone be interested in me posting it? It's LONG, though, like...an hour and a half long, but it's Neil Tyson so it feels more like 5 minutes and you keep wanting more, so...
I love that video. NDT is a joy to listen to. I'd like you to post the video, since I got nothing but time on my hands for now.
Neil deGrasse Tyson is one of my favorite people in the world. I can't wait for his Cosmos show.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

The major thing here is, space is our only way of getting past our issues. To get to space there is so much we have to attain to get there. I fear until we destory "profit" mindset and focus on knowledge and progress we will not improve our situation and our world.
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
(August 1, 2013 at 12:49 am)bladevalant546 Wrote: The major thing here is, space is our only way of getting past our issues. To get to space there is so much we have to attain to get there. I fear until we destory "profit" mindset and focus on knowledge and progress we will not improve our situation and our world.

It's not so much about destroying a profit-centric mindset, as it is destroying a short-term mindset, because, let's face it, space is all profit after a while: not is there additional real estate and resources to capitalize on, how much technology initially developed for space travel ended up having commercial applications in the end?

All we need to do is get the business world to stop thinking in terms of the profit that's coming in the next week, month, year or what have you. It's all out there. Waiting.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Neil's Day, Everyone! BrianSoddingBoru4 6 603 July 27, 2022 at 12:53 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Buddhist calendar and cosmologist Neil Turok Interaktive 18 1366 August 12, 2020 at 2:06 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Tyson Slams Deniers! chimp3 11 2003 September 8, 2017 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Project Orion - dreaming about space exploration Fake Messiah 2 1010 March 5, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Tyson Picks Up Where Sagan Left Off Minimalist 3 1114 February 12, 2014 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Neil DeGrasse Tyson talks to a 9 year old. Napoléon 6 2204 January 12, 2014 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Neil to Earth: Reality Check Creed of Heresy 4 2012 August 10, 2013 at 7:14 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Neil deGrasse Tyson talks about the most astounding fact of the universe CleanShavenJesus 1 1348 July 8, 2013 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Brian37
Star Neil Armstrong Dead 5thHorseman 17 6137 August 27, 2012 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Debate on FTL Neutrinos hosted by Neil Degrasse Tyson NoMoreFaith 1 1741 March 20, 2012 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: Categories+Sheaves