Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 4:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Subjective Issues
Subjective Issues
I am unable to make universally true statements so can anyone please suggest foundational resources to help me develop logical reasoning, argumentative, creative and critical thinking skills? I want to be able to make the first 100 universally true statements or write at least 10 universally significant theses before I will turn 30 next year.
RE: Subjective Issues
When you say "universally true statements", what does that mean?
Statements that accurately represent reality everywhere in the Universe?... I'm not sure many can be made, as most true statements should break at singularities such as black holes.
You can always make a true statement using the negative:
- There is, at the moment of writing, no elephant in the room where I now stand.
Universally true statement: 42
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(September 25, 2017 at 8:23 am)Adventurer Wrote: I am unable to make universally true statements so can anyone please suggest foundational resources to help me develop logical reasoning, argumentative, creative and critical thinking skills? I want to be able to make the first 100 universally true statements or write at least 10 universally significant theses before I will turn 30 next year.

In my opinion, truth-in-context statements are necessarily universally true.

Let's say, for example, that I say that in the context of quantum mechanics, photons exist in a state of superposition, and are resolved upon observation.

This, if true, is universally true for all instances of that context, by definition: wherever there is quantum physics, certain things will be true-- across all conceivable dimensions or universes.  Because if it isn't true in any context, it's just not quantum physics.
(September 25, 2017 at 8:28 am)pocaracas Wrote: When you say "universally true statements", what does that mean?
Statements that accurately represent reality everywhere in the Universe?... I'm not sure many can be made, as most true statements should break at singularities such as black holes.
You can always make a true statement using the negative:
- There is, at the moment of writing, no elephant in the room where I now stand.

Negative statements are valid and useful.

While most 'universally true statements' apply to sciences, I'm interested in humanities and arts.
(September 25, 2017 at 7:46 pm)Adventurer Wrote: While most 'universally true statements' apply to sciences, I'm interested in humanities and arts.

I don't think they exist outside of the hard sciences, and that's why informal logic is a thing. When you insert human experience into the equation, 'universal' becomes impossible.

Hey, did I just write a universal truth?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(September 25, 2017 at 9:13 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote:
(September 25, 2017 at 7:46 pm)Adventurer Wrote: While most 'universally true statements' apply to sciences, I'm interested in humanities and arts.

I don't think they exist outside of the hard sciences, and that's why informal logic is a thing. When you insert human experience into the equation, 'universal' becomes impossible.

Hey, did I just write a universal truth?

Yes, you just did - well done!
Ok, here's a start...

It is a universally true statement that pigs can't fly
It is a universally true statement that politicians are in it for their career prospects
It is a universally true statement that Blackmore, Iommi and Page are the divine holy trinity
It is a universally true statement that religion cannot exist in a logical world
It is a universally true statement that Stevie Nicks is the hottest 69 year old ever! Angel
It is a universally true statement that there's no such thing as a universally true statement (expect for Stevie Nicks) (still can't shake off this obsession!)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
If no one can make a universally true statement, then isn't it a universally true statement to say that no one can make universally true statements? Meaning we can make at least one universally true statement, making our initial statement false, meaning we can't actually make universally true statements....but again, that's a universally true statement....round and round I go.

That's some fine paradoxical circular logic I just wrote, lol.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
There are no square circles. There are no married bachelors. There's two for you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 36699 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Is morality objective or subjective? SuperSentient 50 11452 May 18, 2017 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  On the consistent use of "objective" and "subjective" Ignorant 22 4301 November 15, 2016 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Objective vs. Subjective morality: what's the diff? bennyboy 8 2186 March 27, 2016 at 3:56 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Legitimate women's rights issues Lemonvariable72 50 7390 October 30, 2015 at 7:01 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Metaethical subjective relativism The Barefoot Bum 15 4942 August 5, 2015 at 8:50 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  If morality is subjective... Dystopia 25 3744 February 14, 2015 at 3:33 am
  Is art subjective? LivingNumbers6.626 34 6356 August 17, 2014 at 1:29 am
  Objective vs Subjective Morals FallentoReason 36 9018 May 5, 2014 at 11:58 am
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  Knowledge of Qualia or Subjective States Whateverist 5 2774 May 10, 2013 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Ryantology