Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sequels that exceed the original
Sequels that exceed the original
I know the general consensus is that sequels are usually of lower quality and typically done as cynical cash grabs (although the latter is probably 100% true all the time, actually) but there has to be more than a handful of sequels that outdo their predecessors, whether in terms of writing, visual quality, etc.

I think the most accepted example would be Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Probably most everyone who's seen the first two entries in that franchise would agree, Cameron's follow-up was vastly superior to the first Terminator. I personally would even venture that the third film was better than the first (if nothing, it was more enjoyably humorous and action-packed).

Or am I wrong? But even so, there have to be other sequels out there that blow the first out of the water by leaps and bounds.

I'd like to submit two recent entries, namely Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 and Kingsman: The Golden Circle. Now, while the first films were both fantastic and I wouldn't say the sequels necessarily left them in the dust, but they definitely were better overall.

A slightly older submission would be Thor: The Dark World. I felt it fixed the problems with the first one (while by no means being perfect) which in and of itself would make it better by default. I know it's not a popular title even in such a popular franchise but it would be hard to argue it didn't have more laughs and more action than the first.

So, any other nominations for sequels that outdid their younger siblings?
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
RE: Sequels that exceed the original
Hate to go off the rails so early in your thread, but I came up with 2 movies that unexpectedly equal the first, but it's tough to say they exceed:

Dawn of the Dead (the 1970s version)

Godfather 2
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I did think Dawn exceeded Night, if only because color (and I still didn't really like it, a lot of things just bugged me about it) but there were flaws with that, too. Still, I just find myself re-watching it more often than Night.

I need to watch the Godfather movies again. Saw them in film appreciation class in high school (which diminished both the attention I paid and my potential to enjoy them), plus we watched them out of order, with part 2 first.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
[Image: 9.jpeg]
The Empire Strikes Back.
I think Beverly Hills Cop 2 was better than the first. They should have stopped after the 2nd.
Godfather II. Lethal Weapon II.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
If they did a sequel to "Terror Comes to Tiny Town" that would have been better than the original. If a sequel wasn't made it was better than the original.
21 and 22 Jump Street are both equally hilarious.

Shrek 2 kinda wins out over Shrek

Toy Story 3 is about equal to Toy Story (But Toy Story 2 isn't)

The Conjuring 1 and 2 are both pretty good.

(October 5, 2017 at 12:22 am)Astonished Wrote: So, any other nominations for sequels that outdid their younger siblings?

Also, do you mean older?
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
Star Trek 2, 3, 4, and 6 all exceed The Motion Picture.

Also, most of the Harry Potter movies. The first was charming, the second was repitious. Im not a fan of the third but most are. The 4th has rightfully mised reviews. But 5, 6 and 8 are all excellent, surpasding the first movie by leaps and bounds.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who did it better, the original or the cover? Brian37 44 2570 November 6, 2020 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The original Carrie horror movie. Brian37 30 1882 April 10, 2020 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Music remakes you think better than original Brian37 25 1778 July 5, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  "Get Out" won best original screenplay? Foxaèr 21 3364 March 5, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  ME TV to bring back original Hawaii Five 0 Brian37 1 2210 August 21, 2017 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Best original music from a film? Aegon 32 3788 July 5, 2016 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Amazon Studios Original Series ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 5 1911 August 10, 2015 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Bloodline - A Netflix Original John V 3 1164 May 1, 2015 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Shakespeare in original pronunciation Tea Earl Grey Hot 10 4279 March 7, 2013 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: ManMachine