Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:11 am

Poll: .
This poll is closed.
Yes
65.38%
17 65.38%
No
34.62%
9 34.62%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good person/bad person
Good person/bad person
By your own standards, do you consider yourself to be overall a good person?

Why or why not?
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: Good person/bad person
I'm not certain I can adequately answer such a vague question.

Those who do bad consider their actions good and thus themselves good people, because morality is subjective.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Can I have a "neither" option?

I consider myself to be a neutral amoral person. Neither moral nor immoral.
Bad:

I would commit simony during a papal election if given the chance
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(October 9, 2017 at 6:54 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: I'm not certain I can adequately answer such a vague question.

Those who do bad consider their actions good and thus themselves good people, because morality is subjective.

The OP says "by your own standards."
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Both on any given day. Just depends on how I feel that day.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I consider myself a good person. It's not to say I do anything great or that I don't have my faults though. I think most people are good people. Even people who do horrible things are generally good people, who are mentally ill, trying to do what they think is right. I'd say it's very rare to find people who know what they're doing is bad and wrong and choose to do it anyway.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
I think most people would think I was a good person. I consider myself a "good enough" person, I guess. Meaning I'm trying the best I can to be a good person.

If good intentions is all it takes to be a good person then I definitely agree with Losty . . . I think most of us are good people.

I think only the worst people would be a bad person on purpose.

Although I tend to think of myself as more of a "Not a bad person" or a "Nice person" than a "good person". I'll consider myself definitely a good person once someone I value highly tells me that I greatly impacted their life for the better. And I can't imagine that happening to anyone I'm not close to unless I become famous or save someone's life or something.
Define your 'good'? Mine may differ?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(October 9, 2017 at 6:51 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: By your own standards, do you consider yourself to be overall a good person?

Why or why not?

This is an interesting question.  There are certainly some people who think I'm the bane of existence while others think that I'm a great guy.  Thus, taking these perspectives into account and trying to synthesize them with how I see myself, I'd say that I probably fall into neither extreme and am probably somewhere in the middle.  How about you, Catholic Lady?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's your area's bad ass bug(s)? Gawdzilla Sama 23 1734 November 4, 2018 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  The No Good, Bad Luck Thread Bob Kelso 4 368 September 12, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A bad day for the neighbors ... and a mystery to solve ignoramus 6 474 July 6, 2018 at 3:47 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  How long can a Subway sandwich last in the refrigerator before it goes bad? Cthulhu Awakening 11 6483 December 24, 2017 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Vaccines both good and bad? goombah111 109 16318 December 20, 2016 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Bad mornings are bad Losty 137 9829 October 7, 2016 at 9:00 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Some bad physics from Bishop John Shelby Spong. Jehanne 10 2372 September 25, 2016 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Day person or a night person? paulpablo 30 2790 June 18, 2016 at 10:03 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  need a little support - bad boss day drfuzzy 21 4792 February 28, 2016 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Men Who are Bad at Video Games More Likely to Show Hostility to Women Pyrrho 21 4008 July 22, 2015 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: MTL